Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,615
Ute Mountain Indian Reservation question

Is through travel possible to Mesa Verde National Park through the Ute Mountain Indian Reservation west of Durango?

If so, does anyone have a dual sport route they can suggest? Or perhaps a known route from Durango to Dinosaur?

Thanks in advance.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
The Old Spanish Trail goes through that area. I have some tracks on GPSXchange.com
Old 04-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Got it, thanks Jerry. Much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,702
Hey Charlie

Me and my son rode all that area a couple years ago------it was a great trip that took us into Meda Verde and all around the Reservations.

You will find out much info by reading the story on my website

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/BigDogAndSon.htm

You can buy a permit for the UTE reservation-----that info is in the story----we didn't do that.

I looked at maps and google earthed the mesa verda area to find a way thru the park-------I found roads on maps but when I got there I found out what I probably already figured out---------you cannot enter the park from the North and ride out of it to the South. You have to enter and exit at the same place----that way they got you all corralled up like an animal in a cage and can keep an eye on you-----which they do------watch the radar in there to. The road that I hoped to ride out of the park to the south was going back to nature and blocked. If you can make yourself look thru the traffic in there it is so beautiful.

Reading the story you'll read about things we ran into trying to get on the reservation.
E-mail me for the tracks----I have a bunch of handy waypoints on there that might keep you from getting scalped. That trip also took me to Shiprock--------not the town the rock--------one of the neatest places I've ever been------and nobody was there----a plus !!!!
Canyon De Chelly was on that ride also---we rode some routes I've never heard anybody talk about on that ride---it was cool.

E-mail me Charlie.

bigdogadventures@gmail.com
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 04-28-2012 at 04:36 AM
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Mark,

Thanks a lot for the information! I will look at your report and the route.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Here is what we got into last fall trying to get to Canyon de Chelly.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727309

We have done quite a bit of riding on major dirt roads on the Navajo rez around there with no problems and no permits.

I put tracks on a 4 Corners Loop ride last October both on GpsXchange and dualsportmaps.com.

It is nice to know that you can do some riding on the Ute rez. I have always stayed away from there for some reason.

BTW we have a large group that are going to ride the BigDog tracks from the Mogollon Rim down to the Mexico border next week.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Here is what we got into last fall trying to get to Canyon de Chelly.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727309

We have done quite a bit of riding on major dirt roads on the Navajo rez around there with no problems and no permits.

I put tracks on a 4 Corners Loop ride last October both on GpsXchange and dualsportmaps.com.

It is nice to know that you can do some riding on the Ute rez. I have always stayed away from there for some reason.

BTW we have a large group that are going to ride the BigDog tracks from the Mogollon Rim down to the Mexico border next week.
I'd like to read about that ride-----pop me an e-mail if you do a ride report.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Check my GWT tracks on GPSXchange for Mark's trail south of Roosevelt Lake. He used a highway that is not even there any longer, and a new ranch with locked gate in another place. I just spent a week scouting that whole section.

The one section I did not get to was going over Mt Lemmon.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Jerry,

I got your tracks when you posted them. I checked again and our plan overlays one of your actual tracks south of Roosevelt Lake. It does look like there is a section of 188 that has been relocated. I remember seeing that when we rode thru there a few years ago.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Mike3735
That Guy.......

Oddometer: 3
Ute Mountain Indian Reservation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Me and my son rode all that area a couple years ago------it was a great trip that took us into Meda Verde and all around the Reservations.

You will find out much info by reading the story on my website

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/BigDogAndSon.htm

You can buy a permit for the UTE reservation-----that info is in the story----we didn't do that.

I looked at maps and google earthed the mesa verda area to find a way thru the park-------I found roads on maps but when I got there I found out what I probably already figured out---------you cannot enter the park from the North and ride out of it to the South. You have to enter and exit at the same place----that way they got you all corralled up like an animal in a cage and can keep an eye on you-----which they do------watch the radar in there to. The road that I hoped to ride out of the park to the south was going back to nature and blocked. If you can make yourself look thru the traffic in there it is so beautiful.

Reading the story you'll read about things we ran into trying to get on the reservation.
E-mail me for the tracks----I have a bunch of handy waypoints on there that might keep you from getting scalped. That trip also took me to Shiprock--------not the town the rock--------one of the neatest places I've ever been------and nobody was there----a plus !!!!
Canyon De Chelly was on that ride also---we rode some routes I've never heard anybody talk about on that ride---it was cool.

E-mail me Charlie.

bigdogadventures@gmail.com
That big rock called Shiprock is a ancient volcano dating back before the dinosaurs. And the long alligatior tail looking rocks are the lava flow, or whats left of it. Navajo lore says that Shiprock was how their people got here. According to them Shiprock was once a huge boat that crashed through the underword and brought them here to earth. I think they came from russia over the bearing strait. (however you spell it). Anyway nice ride, i like the pics and i live here. This place never gets old to me. So much to see.
Mike3735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

We're back. Ride report started HERE. We had everything from endless baby head rock gardens to being trapped between two flash flooding arroyos very near Dragon, UT. What a trip!