User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Dirtmongrel OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
2 strk vs 4 strk WEED WACKERS

Well here I am asking a simple question that hopefully gets tons of response.

What makes the best yard tool 2 stroke VS 4 stroke??? I recently put an old 2 stroke weed wacker to the scrap pile heap. It wasn't that old, its just that I think the garbage those big BOX STORES sell us is garbage. I'm not sure if its cheap manufacturing or just cheap materials.., but why does my 20+ yr old tools still work and everything built in the last 10yrs just sucks ass??? Total useless garbage!!

Is it the fuel we are forced to use??? Or just newer crappy, penny pinching design flaws??????

BTW My new 4Stroke weed wacker totally kicks f-ing ass, no need for full throttle runs.., this baby just purrs along at just above idle. It even has solid blade attachments, including a circular saw blade . Oh the possibilities .

The Search Function brought up nothing.., hope this is new
Dirtmongrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,828
Mixing Gas & Kicking Ass

Just tried this stuff in my Stihl leaf-blower and weed-wacker..

They have never run better.. I have no idea why this would be the case because I have always been good about 50:1 & fresh gas... Ethanol?? Who knows...

I would not have believed how much better they ran if I didn't do it myself..

I would be worried about the complexity of valves and such on a 4 stroke...
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 824
i only buy Stihl and the 4 stroke trimmers also needed pre-mix so why pay more for a heaver trimmer that still takes pre-mix and costs more to buy and to rebuild?

some things 2T is just better for, small OPE is one of them. IMHO.

and yes any "pre-mixed" pre-mix without ethanol is good stuff, and better for your equipment but if you burn a lot its better to just find a station selling ethanol free gas and get good pre-mix.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
Dirtmongrel OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
i only buy Stihl and the 4 stroke trimmers also needed pre-mix so why pay more for a heaver trimmer that still takes pre-mix and costs more to buy and to rebuild?

some things 2T is just better for, small OPE is one of them. IMHO.
I don't get the 4stroke premix thing?? mine needs engine oil but nothing in the fuel... just gas and go? just like a lawn mower.

After the first post (weed wacking first) I mowed my lawn. While the battery has been dead for 10plus years, the 'ol riding lawn mower fired right up after a battery boost jump. Almost 20yrs old and she purrs like the day I bought it.

All my "OLD" equipment works great, but it seems the "NEW STUFF" only lasts a few years if you're lucky.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 824
it may be different from the last time i bought a trimmer but back 5-6 years ago the stihl 4 stroke line still used pre-mix. i know there are some that take just gas but i use my trimmers at all different angles and i just feel better knowing everything is getting oil.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
Dirtmongrel OP
Studly Adventurer

I would love to buy a good STIHL or a real HONDA or a true Husqvarna, but in my area its all rebranded low price point big box store garbage. Its all disposable, looks good in the box, but not worth the effort type of tool.

Outside of your trimmer, what about a mower or rototiller, do you prefer 2stroke???

This is the first piece of yard equipment I've owned that's not 2stroke (other then mower).., Its performance just blew me away.., and its only a cheap TROY BUILT.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
BMWrider79
Me

Oddometer: 426
Have been using a Honda 4 stroke weed cutter for four years now. Works great, dozen't use oil at all and is far quieter. Only problem I've had is the original fuel hose doesn't last long and needs to be replaced.
BMWrider79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Just tried this stuff in my Stihl leaf-blower and weed-wacker..

They have never run better.. I have no idea why this would be the case because I have always been good about 50:1 & fresh gas... Ethanol?? Who knows...

I would not have believed how much better they ran if I didn't do it myself..

I would be worried about the complexity of valves and such on a 4 stroke...

Agree 100%. On my second Summer using it and my 11 year old heavily used Echo string trimmer and Ryobi leaf blower run like new, start fast and run strong. You pay a premium for it but I really don’t care.
Gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
bcbullet
Breatheless

Oddometer: 615
Shindaiwa 2 stroke with a Speed Feed head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0yITZ-NJD8

At work we had have a Shindaiwa straight shaft that is still going strong after 15 years. At home I have a Shindaiwa curved shaft homeowner edition that gets used two hours a week for 12 years now. I put on a speed feed head and swing 090 line with it. It should have puked years ago but never misses a beat and is a 2 pull starter all the time.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #10
RYANINMICHIGAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Must just be luck, I have ran my craftsman 2 smoke for easy 10 years on years old two stroke gas mixed myself. No plug change, starts right up on 2 year old gas..
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #11
4power
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
2 stroke. I had a 4 stroke Troy Built and even my battery powered Ryobi was better. Actually if it's just suburban duty I'd highly recommend the Ryobi. I wasn't really expecting much and I've been fairly impressed with it.
4power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #12
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,127
Quote:
it may be different from the last time i bought a trimmer but back 5-6 years ago the stihl 4 stroke line still used pre-mix. i know there are some that take just gas but i use my trimmers at all different angles and i just feel better knowing everything is getting oil.
It was suggested to me last year that using mixed gas in small yard tool engines will make them run better and last longer. It was also a way to mitigate the ill effects of corn gas on small engines.

I tried it with Stihl synthetic 2 cycle stuff. Mixed it at 100:1 and ran it in my mower and Honda generator. Works great. It was a good tip.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #13
Nailhead
Free at last!

Oddometer: 6,316
Quote:
If you haven't used one in heavy, wet grass, you won't understand.

I bought a Stihl FS110R a few years back, and used it occasionally in the dry grass/weeds (usually) endemic to Wyoming. Heavy, still had to mix gas, whatever-- it worked fine.

This spring made me a believer permanently: still heavy, still had to mix fuel, but I powered through the heavy wet grass I was helping a buddy cut, such that the Husqvarna two-stroke he was using looked relatively useless: he'd wind the piss out of it, attack the grass, it would bog down, and the whole sorry cycle would begin again.

Granted, the little Husky gave away a few CC's to mine, but I could just chug through 1-2' tall wet grass at half throttle. I got probably twice as much grass cut as he did, and he's been a landscaper for 20 years. He knows how to make a weed whacker do its thing.

I'm sold. If you want to get LOTS of grass whacked down in a hurry, four-stroke is how you do it these days.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '93 Ducati 900 SS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #14
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,588
For the simple needs we have for our place in the mountains a Ryobi rechargeable electric works just fine. It won't take down scrub oak shoots but that is why I still have the 25 year old Honda HR215 workhorse mower.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #15
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 294
Stihl FS130R with a fixed line head running .155 line. Two stroke machine.

Does really damn good for me.
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: