User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
dasrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Paid tv sucks, time to stream

I've had it with satellite TV. Dish is having their pissing contest with the local CBS network providers and now I'm missing NFL games and the local news that I watch. They jacked up my monthly premium $30 over the past year and the reception cuts out in bad weather. I'm ready to go to antenna for the local channels, but I'm concerned about the DVR and the other non-major channels. Is there a way to get FoxSports, AMC, TBS, TNT, ESPN, etc. without going back to cable or satellite? We've got Amazon Prime so we can stream some movies and shows.

For those that have gone streaming and OTA, what are the best DVR options out there? Is the FireTVStick or Chromecast worthwhile?
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Slipkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Fuck Comcast. That is all.
Slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipkid View Post
Fuck Comcast. That is all.
Right in the facehole. With a porcupine covered in salty lemon juice.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,243
My household was a relatively early adopter of the "Streaming only" approach.

I like it, and would never go back. Cable/Satellite was unjustifiably expensive and inconvenient, and most of their programming is garbage.

We have an old Roku, but friends' experiences with Chromecast are very positive . If I had to get a replacement I think I'd go that route.

Between network streaming, Youtube, and Amazon we don't have any shortage of quality programming on demand.

I don't mind not getting broadcast sports, as I find those are more fun at a bar/restaurant with other people around to cheer and heckle as appropriate.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrider View Post
For those that have gone streaming and OTA, what are the best DVR options out there? Is the FireTVStick or Chromecast worthwhile?

How about not setting up a DVR? If you can't watch it live, or stream it later, don't worry about it. Your freetime will thank you

When I had cable a few years ago a lot of time got sucked into watching programs that I didn't want to miss and would dvr. Now, I still don't see those programs and I don't miss them for the most part. The ones I do want to see, I can watch online any time.

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,738
Netflix, Amazon Fire TV box thingie and Wiziwig.com works for me.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
pigjockey
Hognuts

Oddometer: 574
heres what I stream from. I gave up on monthly pay shit that never worked half the time. Espn and UFC etc.

4:20 Its Hippy Hour
pigjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #9
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,780
Kill your television!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:03 AM   #10
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 741
I got one of these a few months ago. With antenna for local, you will be set. With this streaming device, you are not limited to certain approved apps or streams as you are with chromcast, Apple tv, or roku. You can stream anything from anywhere. Ufc fights, all sports games , any and all movies etc. you can get rid of Netflix and Amazon prime for movies. There is a bit of a learning curve as you explore and learn all the stuff this box allows you to stream. Best part is that it shows up all programmed and ready to roll.
http://www.streamsmart.tv
wakewop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 25,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewop View Post
I got one of these a few months ago. With antenna for local, you will be set. With this streaming device, you are not limited to certain approved apps or streams as you are with chromcast, Apple tv, or roku. You can stream anything from anywhere. Ufc fights, all sports games , any and all movies etc. you can get rid of Netflix and Amazon prime for movies. There is a bit of a learning curve as you explore and learn all the stuff this box allows you to stream. Best part is that it shows up all programmed and ready to roll.
http://www.streamsmart.tv
Interesting. Checked into legality of streaming all those movies, etc...? Strikes me as odd they can provide all that content with a one-time purchase and it actually be licensed.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #12
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
Interesting. Checked into legality of streaming all those movies, etc...? Strikes me as odd they can provide all that content with a one-time purchase and it actually be licensed.
No kidding.

Is all that stuff actually out there on the net, like new movies...??

As a computer dummy....it seems to good to be true....like those bootleg cable boxes when they first came out.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 25,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
No kidding.

Is all that stuff actually out there on the net, like new movies...??

As a computer dummy....it seems to good to be true....like those bootleg cable boxes when they first came out.
I don't think there is any way it's available legally. Yes, all that stuff is out there in pirate-land, but one must be willing to ignore the legality of it to enjoy it, IMO.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
I don't think there is any way it's available legally. Yes, all that stuff is out there in pirate-land, but one must be willing to ignore the legality of it to enjoy it, IMO.
That's what I thought, I think that I will add a Roku 3 to our 2 year old 70" smart TV as from what I understand the Smart Part Processor is much better on the Roku.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
I really want to kill my cable as well. The only thing is I am NOT willing to give up a DVR or convenience. About once a week I rummage through the program guide and set the DVR for things I want to watch. I may not turn the TV on for a day or two. At which point I browse through what's showing at the moment. Then hit the DVR for what has recently recorded.

Even when I find a live show I usually start the DVR and come back 20 minutes later and start the playback. Hopefully I end the show the same time the broadcast ends as I fast forward through the commercials.

I have tried some streaming services. Forced commercials. Fuck you! I will live with crappy cable and a DVR to blow through ads before I go streaming and forced ads.

It's really the advertising that gets to me. The shear quantity. I am noticing shows and movies that are running 20+% beyond the regular run time just because they are pouring more ads into them. With so much content there is lots of advertising space, thus cheap advertising. So lots of ads that don't pay much. So they add more ads to the programming to make more profit which drives customers away. Market share drops, advertising revenue drops. cut programming and add more ads. With so many viewing choices market share doesn't count any more. The downward spiral of ad based revenue in entertainment.

All this and I can't even get MAV TV from my cable provider. What little I watch I could probably narrow down to a dozen channels. Now if a provider ever offered channels al-a-carte with the DVR...
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: