Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
Tinker1980 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Early 1960's F600

For the past couple of years, my wife and I have been taking care of her grandmother. Mostly just making sure she eats, and gets out of bed, taking her places, so on and so forth. The woman's late husband was evidently somewhat of a tinkerer. There is a Case 350 track loader that I managed to get running, but was worried that any of the 40 year old hoses would blow and strand all 12,000 pounds of it in the yard somewhere.

There is also a very old dump truck. I can get pictures tomorrow. (It's dark now) As near as I can tell looking at similar trucks on Google, it is a 1964. It says "F600" on the fender, and "Custom" under the windows. Every time I mow around it... I feel it calling...

So one day I said the hell with it, grabbed a breaker bar and some sockets, wiggled it into neutral, and tried to turn the engine. It spins and has compression. The clutch pedal stays on the floor when pressed. Same with the brake pedal. Carburetor was full of mud from mud daubers, but they didn't get past the butterfly valves. Took a look in the distributor, and ended up spending $5 on points and condenser for it. (total investment - $5) Set the gap to something I thought would work, Hung a empty gear lube bottle full of gasoline from the hood, ran a line to the carb, drove the trusty jeep over with the jumper cables, turned the key and...

...The starter went "wrrrrr" without turning the engine. It is an old style bendix starter, no solenoid. A few strokes with a hammer and it would turn the engine. Pulled the choke knob, cranked her a few times, and the old 292 actually rumbled to life, blowing all manner of insect and rodent life from that muffler shaped thing in the exhaust. The generator (!) was charging, but the battery was completely garbage. Engine would sit and idle nice, and revved up when you opened the throttle. Only ran it for a little bit. Has a few leaks.

So... since everyone on ADV seems to know something about all manner of odd subjects... Does anyone know about these old F600 trucks? The engine is stone-axe simple, the motor in my DR650, or indeed my riding mower is far more sophisticated. The transmission appears to be a four speed, and I'd bet it has a granny gear. There is a PTO, chain drive and gearbox setup to lift the bed. There is no power steering, no power brakes, and I think there is a swing clutch. Fuel tank appears to be behind the seat. Don't know if it's possible or advisable to get this thing roadworthy, but it does give me something to tinker with when I'm bored.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
cheeseyboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
For the past couple of years, my wife and I have been taking care of her grandmother. Mostly just making sure she eats, and gets out of bed, taking her places, so on and so forth. The woman's late husband was evidently somewhat of a tinkerer. There is a Case 350 track loader that I managed to get running, but was worried that any of the 40 year old hoses would blow and strand all 12,000 pounds of it in the yard somewhere.

There is also a very old dump truck. I can get pictures tomorrow. (It's dark now) As near as I can tell looking at similar trucks on Google, it is a 1964. It says "F600" on the fender, and "Custom" under the windows. Every time I mow around it... I feel it calling...

So one day I said the hell with it, grabbed a breaker bar and some sockets, wiggled it into neutral, and tried to turn the engine. It spins and has compression. The clutch pedal stays on the floor when pressed. Same with the brake pedal. Carburetor was full of mud from mud daubers, but they didn't get past the butterfly valves. Took a look in the distributor, and ended up spending $5 on points and condenser for it. (total investment - $5) Set the gap to something I thought would work, Hung a empty gear lube bottle full of gasoline from the hood, ran a line to the carb, drove the trusty jeep over with the jumper cables, turned the key and...

...The starter went "wrrrrr" without turning the engine. It is an old style bendix starter, no solenoid. A few strokes with a hammer and it would turn the engine. Pulled the choke knob, cranked her a few times, and the old 292 actually rumbled to life, blowing all manner of insect and rodent life from that muffler shaped thing in the exhaust. The generator (!) was charging, but the battery was completely garbage. Engine would sit and idle nice, and revved up when you opened the throttle. Only ran it for a little bit. Has a few leaks.

So... since everyone on ADV seems to know something about all manner of odd subjects... Does anyone know about these old F600 trucks? The engine is stone-axe simple, the motor in my DR650, or indeed my riding mower is far more sophisticated. The transmission appears to be a four speed, and I'd bet it has a granny gear. There is a PTO, chain drive and gearbox setup to lift the bed. There is no power steering, no power brakes, and I think there is a swing clutch. Fuel tank appears to be behind the seat. Don't know if it's possible or advisable to get this thing roadworthy, but it does give me something to tinker with when I'm bored.
I don't know about the truck, but with the Case, the hydraulic hoses can run from 30-100.00$. I have an older Case 580B. I'm slowly changing all the hydraulic lines, because everytime I use it, one of them breaks. And there are alot of them.
cheeseyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Tinker1980 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseyboy View Post
I don't know about the truck, but with the Case, the hydraulic hoses can run from 30-100.00$. I have an older Case 580B. I'm slowly changing all the hydraulic lines, because everytime I use it, one of them breaks. And there are alot of them.
The last time I tried to move it, one of the transmission cooler lines ruptured... they are cheap, but hard to access. There are so many things to go wrong on a 40 year old machine that has sat for 20 years... radiator hoses, track adjusters, the left side track is very loose, and my nightmare scenario is the track rolling off the wheels... if that Case can't move itself, I have nothing that would move it.

What the hell, here is a vid of the first time I made it run. Good shot of the above mentioned truck at about 1:26.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
WayFar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Looking forward to pics, I love old trucks. I say check out the Autozones and Napas of the area and see what kind of parts availability there is, and then go for it. It looks ripe for a Cummins conversion and a nice flatbed. Man, I need something new to tinker with.

1973 FL
2006 Uly
WayFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,464
Would it be worthwhile to learn how to make your own hoses and replace them all from raw stock? One or two hoses would probably not be worth the effort, but if there are 20 or so to replace, you could save a fair bit of coin.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,464
You've probably doubled the value of the truck by proving that the engine runs. Change the oil before running it again, then change it again after an hour or two of runtime.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:23 PM   #7
Tinker1980 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
You've probably doubled the value of the truck by proving that the engine runs. Change the oil before running it again, then change it again after an hour or two of runtime.
That's the plan. First, I need to get it moved. The front wheels have sunk into the ground, to the point the front axle is sitting on the ground. That loader would move it, but I'd end up fixing it to move the truck to fix it... repairs within repairs... I may see if the jeep will budge it in low range. I think once it moved a foot I could move it all over the yard.

Lady who actually owns the truck says it's mine if I want it. Her sons (Who don't seem to want to see her, or take care of her) will probably demand some outrageous amount of money for it, when really it's worth whatever four tons of scrap metal is worth. But then, they don't have a say. It's not like it's ever going to be able to run down the road - the tag expired in 2002, and I don't know if the old man's health problems caused it to be parked, or some more serious issue. I imagine it needs all four wheel cylinders (Drums on the front) a master cylinder, and most expensive of all, six new tires. I think it has 19.5" rims.

The hydraulic hoses can be made at the local O'reillys for about $50 each... or I can order them online for $10-$20. There are about ten different hoses strung throughout the loader. The hoses aren't my biggest concern, the transmission lines, cooler, and tracks are the things that will break.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,311
My friend is working out of an old logging truck/equipment repair shop. There is a shitload of brand new hydraulic fittings left there and possibly hoses. He was telling me that they are old style and not used anymore on newer equipment so kind of worthless as they are still sitting on the shelves.

And a s...load of bolts in the larger sizes/grade 5 and 8 still in the boxes. All for sale....cheap!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
2speed
Puching adventurer

Oddometer: 828
It has 20" tires, either 8.25 or 9.00-20. It has dual wheel cylinders in the back, it has power brakes, with a frame mounted booster somewhere. Red button the gear shift? If so two speed rear. Good trucks. Not worth a whole lot above scrap in described condition unless you part it.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
I like that dozer. I could find some uses for that...
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #11
Tinker1980 OP
Studly Adventurer

I've seen them for sale on eBay, in running and driving ready to work condition for $1900. So it's not really worth sinking a lot of money into and fixing. It very likely gets about 4 mpg. The pumpkin in the axle is two feet across. I have no idea what I would do with it, if it were road legal and running.

But...

Sure would be fun to try. If I could be sure of getting it in my name without excessive drama, I would be willing to get it to driving condition. One of the sons would, upon finding out that I got the engine to start, would demand I tag it and remove it from the property, the other would demand I pay five figures for it. Kind of a mess.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:56 AM   #12
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,052
www.Slick60s.com is your go-to place to get specific advice on the '64. There are a couple of guys that have the bigger trucks, most with grain bodies. The dump box may be useful but probably hurts the desirability to a collector.

As interesting as they are, the problem with medium and heavy duty trucks is they are huge, and don't fit in a normal garage so it limits the collector market quite a bit. You can find a lot of NOS parts on ebay for cheap, because not many people restore them. It will be a beast to drive, and probably not go more than 50 with the gears it likely has.

The cab, doors, grille and hood should all interchange with the pickups, so there is value in those parts if they aren't rusty.

We need pics.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:00 AM   #13
Tinker1980 OP
Studly Adventurer

I can fit the thing in my shop, no problem... even use the grease pit.

If I were to take the time and effort to get it going, I'd do it only for myself. The thing I think I'd end up using it for is hauling toys to the trail - I imagine that it would pull ANYTHING. (or just put atv's in the dump bed. Roll up to Hudson lake, back up, park the truck, dump the ATV's out on the ground. It would be the least abuse they got all day.)

Without further ado, Pictures:

Where it sits now. Been there 15-20 years I think.

The engine. Dig that Oil Bath air cleaner.

Interior. Fun fact - the battery is under the passenger floorboard.

Dump Bed Mechanism

Rear axle

Tires look to say 22.5 inches. WTF.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #14
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Interesting (not shiny) find. Funny thing is that there are several of these running daily deliveries around here. You can hear them groaning all the way, and since they take a week to get to 40, you can hear them for a long time. . Yay you for wanting to make the old boy feel useful again
Old 07-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #15
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
Old truck looks to be farly rust free. Get it running, moveing, stopping, throw a cheap paint job on it. And drive it in the local parades. Put some 50 flowmasters with turn downs on it and watch the little kids smile when you snort it.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: