Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
The_Precious_Juice OP
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 2,157
Purchasing a cage to back up the Mighty DR

What's going on. gang?

I was thinking about getting a cage to have as a stand by for my Mighty DR.
Reason: if it is raining something fierce or snowing (very little snow here). Or if I have to be somewhere in a hurry on a moderate long trip (emergency or family issues)

I was thinking of getting a USED stick shift Jeep Wrangler with 4x4 capapilities.

I would maybe put 250 miles a year on this transpo. 850 would be extreme weather and bad stuff happening.
I was thinking that the value would not drop much at all. For the next 16 months or so I will be a working stiff.
I could sale the Wrangler at any time.

I would like to bicycle and ride the DR as much as I can.
My commute is 7.8 miles by biycle. 8.1 by MC.
__
the other extreme would be a used 2013 Honda Fit. 5speed. Fun car.
The value would drop on this quicker, but I would safe money on gas, but be effed in rain and snow.

_
Something mid range would be a Subaru Impreza hatchback CVT transmisson. I could take this in the rain and snow. Value would not drop much. And would be a good highway travel car.
__

Lastly, a used Toy Prius C (the small one) and get 50mpg on the less than, 1000 miles/her.
I do not like this becaue the value would drop on her fairly quick. And I would not be doing what she is designed for. Miles.
__
I do not need a truck. I do not plan on trailering the DR. I could trailer her on the Jeep with the trailer hitch.

__
Conclusions:
I am leaning toward a Wrangler and having her in the garage on stand by.

Like her:
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=94581005
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
The_Precious_Juice OP
In Garrison.

Thanks for reading

Once I pasted the link, I could not write anymore on the thread.

Here are some more.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...#resultsPage=1

Does this seem like a good plan? I would like to putt around in a 5speed Jeep here and there and have her for bad weather and such.
How much do these girls drop in value a year?

Ohh,
And should I pay in cash or finance?
Pros and cons to each.
I would have to go full coverage insurance if I paid it all up front.

With finance I would maybe go liability insurane to off set the interest on the montly payments. Just an idea.
I have never fianced a cage and sold her before paying off the payment.

Thanks again.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 12-07-2014 at 05:51 PM
Old 12-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,128
10 yr old civic for a couple grand. Keep it running and in decent shape and you'll get almost the same back whenever you sell it.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
The_Precious_Juice OP
In Garrison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
10 yr old civic for a couple grand. Keep it running and in decent shape and you'll get almost the same back whenever you sell it.
Thanks for the feedback.

I would be good good with a manual Fj Cruiser.

Top ten cars that keep their resale value
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...lue-youll.aspx
Old 12-08-2014, 03:59 AM   #5
AbqDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Among the used vehicles I've bought, I've been happiest with these two:

1. Prius. My daughter is driving a 2004 prius with some 220K miles on it. Runs like an absolute dream. The thing about the Prius is that there aren't too many things to go wrong on them. Brakes last forever. No clutch, no transmission. The battery can fail, but when it does, you can usually fix it by replacing one or two cells. If you have someone nearby who can service the battery, this could be an option. Buy one with 150K, sell it at 180K, net of everything this might be the lowest cost per mile ever. Can't tow the DR with it tho.

2. Jeep Cherokee. The I-6 is probably the most robust and durable American made engine ever. Super cheap to buy, cheap to fix. Easy to sell when you're done. Try to get one without electric windows and doors, that stuff falls apart regularly. If you need FWD capability, you can't beat it. You can say much the same about the Wrangler, those things just cost too durn much and you can't haul anything with them.
AbqDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
The_Precious_Juice OP
In Garrison.

Thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqDave View Post
Among the used vehicles I've bought, I've been happiest with these two:

1. Prius. My daughter is driving a 2004 prius with some 220K miles on it. Runs like an absolute dream. The thing about the Prius is that there aren't too many things to go wrong on them. Brakes last forever. No clutch, no transmission. The battery can fail, but when it does, you can usually fix it by replacing one or two cells. If you have someone nearby who can service the battery, this could be an option. Buy one with 150K, sell it at 180K, net of everything this might be the lowest cost per mile ever. Can't tow the DR with it tho.

2. Jeep Cherokee. The I-6 is probably the most robust and durable American made engine ever. Super cheap to buy, cheap to fix. Easy to sell when you're done. Try to get one without electric windows and doors, that stuff falls apart regularly. If you need FWD capability, you can't beat it. You can say much the same about the Wrangler, those things just cost too durn much and you can't haul anything with them.

I did some Toyota Prius C two research today. I found a used 2013 model with 26,000 miles.
I like the 60/40 seat that is standard on this trim.
This would be great cage to pay cash for and have 10-15 years.
It is just me and my miles would be urban.
It would take a solid ten years for her to get to 100,000 miles.

My local stealership has four 2014 models on the lot, they will try and sale them first.

But it would be nice to have a Jeep to ride mostly in the winter and on rainy days during the year.
The MIGHTY DR is a fair urban assault vehicle. Kind of clumsy, what with the stock suspension and all.

Your best urban assault vic would be the 690 super enduro, she would be the tip of the spear and, the next wave would be the yz-07, to clean uo what js left. Straight up hooligan MCs.

I will keep you posted.

Edit
I could not find any Cheroke Jeeps near by that are manual.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,772
a 2 door cherokee would be good...... wranglers kinda suck in the cold, the heaters suck, the tops leak/not insulated etc.

i don't know about out there, but here, i can find 2 door square body cherokees with some farkles in great shape, sub 5k.

I've got a friend selling one now, real nice for 4k. but I'm out in california, not VA.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Lookinforadventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I would say either go for a used Civic or Fit. Don't bother with the hybrid stuff, it's just an added item that the STEALership will tag onto the final price tag, and will probably net you only 5 MPG maximum more than the 1.5L Honda's.

They're both bulletproof cars that have solid powertrains. Will go 200k+ miles with no problems, and are low-maintenance. Parts are cheap too.

Honda reliability is about the best you can find.

It seems like unless you want to go offroading, then you have no use for 4x4. Virginia has fairly mild winters from what I've heard, and you only NEED 4x4 if you regularly have to slog through unplowed roads for several months of the year. It would only be a waste of money in the form of extra fuel and more expensive tires. And plus, bikes are more fun offroad anyway

If you are able to do your own basic maintenance, I'd say budget out about $6000 and find yourself the absolute lowest mileage vehicle you can find.

If you are not so mechanically-inclined, budget out about $8000-$10000 and again, find the lowest mileage car you can find. Try to look for something that's been owned by older people.

"It’s a world with 20,000 television channels...get as far away from it as you can."
Lookinforadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
NewToMe
safety 3rd

Oddometer: 925
If you finance, you will be required to have full coverage insurance. If you pay cash you can go liability only... You typed it, or I read it, backwards in the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NewToMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:16 AM   #10
The_Precious_Juice OP
In Garrison.

Feedback

Thanks for the help gang.

Jeep. I would want one with a hard top on the back for better protection from the elements.

With that typed.
I will go ahead and eliminate a Wrangler.
I would not drive her enough to justify the insurance and loss in value over time.
Ice and snow is not enough to worry about. Plus, I do not have to be at work for bad weather.
The weather is just not extreme enugh to have her.

I will put it down to two vics.
The idea would be to have a cage for 10-15 years.
I would pay cash.
Full coverage on insurance.

The 5 speed Fit base 2013
34,500 miles
Negotible (why this, what's their angle)
Reason: i like a manual transmission and the Fit. Test drove this model year in SOCAL and loved it.

Prius C 2013
26,000 miles
$18,900
They have four brand new ones on the lot for 2014. They will want me to buy them first. Should I even look at these? The 2013 owner already paid for the first time fees.

I got confused on the insurance coverage financeing. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 292
Nuther one: Honda Element. Reliable, no timing belt, with the rear seats out it's a van that will take several bicycles standing up. Or an inflatable mattress. Can get it in 4WD and stick easily. Can put a Class 3 receiver hitch on it and tow several DR's on a uhaul if you need to.

There are several roof rack kits for it for lumber hauling and so forth.

They stopped the rear sunroof after 04, which is nice if you're sleeping in it.

Incredible amount of headroom, most people don't like them until they sit in one. Which helps make them a good deal.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
AbqDave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookinforadventure View Post
. Don't bother with the hybrid stuff, it's just an added item that the STEALership will tag onto the final price tag, and will probably net you only 5 MPG maximum more than the 1.5L Honda's.

This is a good point, you can't make up the price difference with the improved MPG.

It's easy to fall in love with a new Prius, you'll definitely pay for it. Where the price-per-mile thing starts to work out is if you're buying a car with a bunch of miles on it, where on the Prius you don't have to replace the clutch or transmission, the engine has been way less stressed, and you're in a nice flat depreciation curve that goes on forever. (Get the battery tested before you drive off though.)

On a new car budget, you can get more for your money. On OP's budget, the same may well apply. However if OP plans to keep the car for 10yrs/100K miles, it's still a consideration.

If you spend time on the Prius forums, gas mileage is sometimes a sport, and sometimes an obsession; but it's not the reason why the price-per-mile is so low.
AbqDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #13
The_Precious_Juice OP
In Garrison.

After action report

I test drove the Prius C 2.
Impressed.

Seat and ride was good. Went up some steep hills in residintual area and she did well.
It fit my driving style.
I noticed 52mpg on the trip odometer with 5,500 miles.

OTD price was $20,267.
With DMV, tags.

Honda Fit Base. Five speed.
Liked the fuel econoy guage on the display you can toogle to.
The 5 speed transmission was not as fun as I remember. I could hyper mile into the mid 30s easy, but it does not accelreate as much I would like when I need it.
OTD price:$15,797

So I am leaning toward the Prius.
+Another plus is that another family member can drive her (automatic)
+ I would buy from a Toyota dealership, so the service and warrenty issues can be done there.
+ more range. Like 100 miles easy.
+ less gas stops
+ more tech. Blue tooth and other stuff that would help resale.

I did not try to get the price down on either car. Both car fax looked good.

What do you'all think?

What should I counter offer on the Prius C.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
The_Precious_Juice OP
In Garrison.

Honda Element

Great touring vic.

I do not have gear and dogs and kids to haul around.

Thanks for the post.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #15
The_Precious_Juice OP
In Garrison.

Counter offer

Prius C 2.
I could counter with $18,300.
They might want to split the difference. And counter with $19,285.

I do not like this.

The brand news are selling for over a thousand dollars over mine. I need to go lower.
I will offer $18,000 cash, and not yield to this.
They have already sold the vic once and made money off her.

What say you?

Thanks for reading.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 12-09-2014 at 02:38 PM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: