Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 212 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 AM   #1606
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Consider something from Equinox Coronado. Either a Cold Steel hawk head on a very lightweight and nigh unbreakable composite handle, or a neat little trick, the Eco Hawk.

http://www.equinoxcoronado.com/hawks/index.html
Nice looking kit.

I'm looking for something that has more of a wedge design that I can baton the backside of the handle for splitting duty. I want to avoid using the 6 for splitting and want to get away from my heavy Bowie. Even with a 1/4" spine, the Bowie doesn't seem to have enough of a wedge.

Maybe I should just just bring my old Estwing hatchet along and call it good. It's a little heavier than I'd like and has too much wedge for light/medium duty, but it is bullet proof and takes the baton for splitting without complaint.

I'd like to see someone come out with a small hatchet that has a concave wedge taper going from the edge to 9/16" at the back, 4" to 4 1/2 " long head (front to back), 2 1/2" face, with an 8 1/2" long handle that can take a beating and weighs less than 1 1/4 lbs. Carbon steel forged head (of course), and a carbon fiber/composite type handle.

I still believe in Santa!
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #1607
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
Nice looking kit.

I'm looking for something that has more of a wedge design that I can baton the backside of the handle for splitting duty. I want to avoid using the 6 for splitting and want to get away from my heavy Bowie. Even with a 1/4" spine, the Bowie doesn't seem to have enough of a wedge.

Maybe I should just just bring my old Estwing hatchet along and call it good. It's a little heavier than I'd like and has too much wedge for light/medium duty, but it is bullet proof and takes the baton for splitting without complaint.

I'd like to see someone come out with a small hatchet that has a concave wedge taper going from the edge to 9/16" at the back, 4" to 4 1/2 " long head (front to back), 2 1/2" face, with an 8 1/2" long handle that can take a beating and weighs less than 1 1/4 lbs. Carbon steel forged head (of course), and a carbon fiber/composite type handle.

Call mike at the above link. I bet he'd be happy to try and help you with that... and if he can't customize a head the way you want, I probably can, and send it to him to haft.

FWIW, my Vector Hawk is about 28 inches long, with a Cold Steel trail hawk head, and weighs less than 24 ounces (1.5#). It's fantastic.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #1608
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Call mike at the above link. I bet he'd be happy to try and help you with that... and if he can't customize a head the way you want, I probably can, and send it to him to haft.

FWIW, my Vector Hawk is about 28 inches long, with a Cold Steel trail hawk head, and weighs less than 24 ounces (1.5#). It's fantastic.
Wouldn't a heavier head decrease fatigue?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #1609
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Wouldn't a heavier head decrease fatigue?
With this thing, you don't even think about getting fatigued in the first place. The high psi of the small head, the featherweight handle, and the "spring" in the handle make it an evil thing to use.

I love it.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #1610
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
With this thing, you don't even think about getting fatigued in the first place. The high psi of the small head, the featherweight handle, and the "spring" in the handle make it an evil thing to use.

I love it.
Sounds dangerous.

I'd love it too.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #1611
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Quote:
Nice looking kit.

Consider a Cold Steel "Trail Boss" head.

http://www.coldsteel.com/trailboss.html
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #1612
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:

I've looked at the little pack axes from Gerber, Fiskars and the pricey little
1 1/2#, hand forged, Swedish number by Gransfors Bruks; the "Kubben", but only on-line.

Any experience with any of these small, pack size axes?

The Coghlan's hatchet is junk, as you probably know... Not enough weight in the head, but cheap to manufacture. I'd rather have my Bowie!
I am not a hatchet man (pun intended). I prefer det cord...

I did succumb to this this morning. It is currently in the grinding stage so I only have to wait a couple week for delivery... (and it should match my SA Champion well)

M1911 Fixed Blade with Satin Polished 440C Blade and Checkered Laminated Cocobolo Grips

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c

RogueClimber screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 06:35 PM Reason: added knife info
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #1613
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,844
Quote:
Consider a Cold Steel "Trail Boss" head.

http://www.coldsteel.com/trailboss.html
or if money is no object....

http://www.rmjtactical.com/
Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #1614
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Sounds dangerous.

I'd love it too.

Ban EG from knife threads NOW!!
It's for his own safety.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #1615
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Ban EG from knife threads NOW!!
It's for his own safety.
But it's not a knife!

EvilGenius screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 07:49 PM
Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #1616
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post

Too heavy.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #1617
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:

Menacing music!?

SOLD!

Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #1618
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,518
Rogue -- those scales look like they're right off a 1911 Colt .45. I suppose it's merely a coincidence that the product number is M1911.

Regarding hatchets, I bought a Cold Steel Riflemans Hawk. Nice piece, splits kindling well, but doesn't really cut all that well -- it's significantly lighter than a traditional hatchet (like the Trail Boss that Smithy recommended). I discovered that it's surprisingly adept at doing construction demolition. My only complaint is that the edge is soft -- I'm going to call Cold Steel and ask if a batch escaped before heat treatment.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!

Roadracer_Al screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 11:56 PM
Roadracer_Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #1619
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Rogue -- those scales look like they're right off a 1911 Colt .45. I suppose it's merely a coincidence that the product number is M1911.

Regarding hatchets, I bought a Cold Steel Riflemans Hawk. Nice piece, splits kindling well, but doesn't really cut all that well -- it's significantly lighter than a traditional hatchet (like the Trail Boss that Smithy recommended). I discovered that it's surprisingly adept at doing construction demolition. My only complaint is that the edge is soft -- I'm going to call Cold Steel and ask if a batch escaped before heat treatment.
I had the same thing happen with a Gransfors carpenters axe. Just chopping on some oak cause the edge to fold. Sent it back and they replaced it with no problem. The new one works fine, stuff happens
I guess.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #1620
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,317
Quote:

I have always loved a Tomahawk for survival and defense. I learned how to use one to a deadly high degree in Special Forces in Bad Tolz where we (a few of us) got them and played witrh them till it dawned on me they were a great weapon. I began doing a little research and found out how deadly they can be. Somewhere along the way mine got lost or stolen but I want another one. Of course ours were modded small hatchet blades with a long hickory shaft I designed. We took the heads to the motorpool got on the industrial grinder and slowly grond a hatchet head inot a Tomahawk head. I thanked my Mom for making me work for her in her foundry for a few years before going into the Army and leaning a lot about metal finishing. They came out great and for a while, I even toyed with manufacturing them until I foudn out what it cost in the 80s to do that!

I wish I had a pic but I can draw one and show you guys what it looked like if you are at all interested.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: