Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #1831
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Is your Fuji a 1000S?
Fujifilm S100fs. 25/400mm fixed lens. Great for zooms, great for anything further than 6 inches from the glass, but even with the super-macro setting, it just blows goats close-up. And the massive lens blocks any and all light you try to get on your subject, too. I really ought to go hunt down a macro kit for it.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #1832
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Fujifilm S100fs. 25/400mm fixed lens. Great for zooms, great for anything further than 6 inches from the glass, but even with the super-macro setting, it just blows goats close-up. And the massive lens blocks any and all light you try to get on your subject, too. I really ought to go hunt down a macro kit for it.
Forget on-camera light for macro work unless you have a ring light. Those are expensive.

If you wanna do it on the cheap, a couple of desk lamps on either side aimed at the work at an angle will work. An unfolded white paper paper napkin will make a decent diffuser on the lamp shades. Focus gets very critical so a small tripod will be helpful.

Sorry for the hijack... Keep up the outstanding work and thanks for the great posts!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #1833
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:
Maybe next week, after I'm not as busy, I can put together a little tutorial on sharpening.
That'd be awesome! Any chance you could demonstrate hand techniques?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamick View Post
You strategically place a billboard of boobs on the outside of a turn and I'd ride my motorcycle off a cliff.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #1834
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,405
I looked at your web page -- Marriotsville, MD... Bummer. I used to live in MD, and I'm a photo geek.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #1835
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectaltronics View Post
Forget on-camera light for macro work unless you have a ring light. Those are expensive.

If you wanna do it on the cheap, a couple of desk lamps on either side aimed at the work at an angle will work. An unfolded white paper paper napkin will make a decent diffuser on the lamp shades. Focus gets very critical so a small tripod will be helpful.

Sorry for the hijack... Keep up the outstanding work and thanks for the great posts!

I'm very familiar with making light tents, and using multiple off-camera sources. I just can't get it to nail the focus, and at 1 inch away or less, my lighting is never what I want it to be. But the focus is the worst. I'm working on the manual f, but it's "manually driven electronic focus" so you get the lens ring, and the illusion of control, but at some point it just says "no, piss off." Very frustrating.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #1836
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
A new description for sharpness level. "It's EG sharp."

Of course, I know I'm just tempting fate by poking fun at someone. I'll probably put a blade through the palm of my hand if I'm not careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post
wait - he's already got adverb status, now you want to make an adjective too? ...or did I get that backwards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
Next we will be buying him blades to review with regards to sharpness and accident liability figures.

This is what I get for accidentally unsubscribing from a thread.

I got bored the other day, busted out the rough side of my whet stone and put a whole new angle on my CRKT blade.

It's scary now.

I say givit 8-12 months before my left hand actually matches my avatar.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #1837
T-Stoff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
..that sharp and I call it a razor..
T-Stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #1838
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
This is what I get for accidentally unsubscribing from a thread.

I got bored the other day, busted out the rough side of my whet stone and put a whole new angle on my CRKT blade.

It's scary now.

I say givit 8-12 months before my left hand actually matches my avatar.
- hell, I only dropped subscriptions when I got banned - it stung a little...

Hey - I got one of these:

*minus the sheath...

Picked it up on the road in Bagram! (Actooly, I watched it flip out of a Brit truck coming my way, and stopped to pick it up)

Had a sheath made out of kydex for it... very natty!
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #1839
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,757
When I was working, I used to enjoy putting an edge on other people's knives that would cut them if they looked at them wrong. Way past just "sharp". It takes time, but they paid me to hang around, not do anything important. I would count my success by the number of bandages the next workday.

Buy my Versys.
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #1840
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
When I was working, I used to enjoy putting an edge on other people's knives that would cut them if they looked at them wrong. Way past just "sharp". It takes time, but they paid me to hang around, not do anything important. I would count my success by the number of bandages the next workday.
That's sum funneh shit raht there. I shoulda' looked you up when I was in KC.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #1841
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Seeing how you're a retired bum, why don't you come and sharpen the 50 or so knives laying around here. I'll even let you camp in the back yard for free.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #1842
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Have you tried putting it on super macro and on the widest end of the lens using NO zoom? Mine focuses down to about an inch and a half like that.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #1843
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
I'm very familiar with making light tents, and using multiple off-camera sources. I just can't get it to nail the focus, and at 1 inch away or less, my lighting is never what I want it to be. But the focus is the worst. I'm working on the manual f, but it's "manually driven electronic focus" so you get the lens ring, and the illusion of control, but at some point it just says "no, piss off." Very frustrating.
Yeah Smithy, that's when you set the focus as close as you can, then move the camera or subject until it's right. The pros use a rack 'n pinion table thing to make the small adjustments easier.

The other thing is to rely on ambient light that isn't behind the lens' shadow, and make/use a light table if you can't get light under the subject. If you use a tripod you can use whatever light happens to be around and close up the shutter a bunch without worrying about exposure times, which will also make focus less critical. If you don't have a remote release use the camera's timer feature.

As an experiment I just propped a knife on a coffee cup on my desk, in a room with an up-light behind me and a desk lamp behind the subject. In the background is a black leather organizer with a black and transparent CD case on top of it. Shot with a Canon 20D, 24-105 F4 L (big 77mm glass) and extension (macro) tube. 100 ISO, no flash, RAW capture. Moved the coffee cup until I had the focus where I wanted it. Images cropped, light sharpening in Photoshop then shrunk about 40%.

@ F8
http://bytebrothers.net/images/ADV-2...3-Knife-F8.jpg

@ F22
http://bytebrothers.net/images/ADV-2...-Knife-F22.jpg

Lots more depth of field at F22 at the cost of some chromatic aberration. Otherwise fairly decent detail. Flat spot on the blade edge looks black because it is - confirmed with a 10X jeweler's loupe.

Some cameras are remarkably good at macro work and a smaller camera with smaller lens (versus your Fuji's mondo glass) won't create as much of a shadow on the subject. You might not have to spend a lot either. An old Nikon Coolpix 950 (capable of focusing down to about 1cm) did this, hand-held:

http://bytebrothers.org/ShirtButton.jpg

Then there's taking things to the next level. If you really want to show what an edge looks like, find a used microscope and camera adapter, or there are USB microscopes that can be had for as little as $50 or so that aren't great but will do the job.

PS Pilot, I'm sending you some knives and a box of band-aids.

PS, nothing like macro work to find the shmutz on your DSLR's sensor. The F22 shot was first..!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #1844
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 971
Doug Ritter RSK with Kevin Wilkins grips. My favourite "working" knife.

Scott Cook Lochsa. Engineered titanium at its finest.

Hand forged railroad spike knife by Tai Goo.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #1845
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
Scott Cook Lochsa. Engineered titanium at its finest.

Hand forged railroad spike knife by Ta Goo.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: