User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #1921
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,528

Thanks for the compliments, guys. This little run gives me hope that I might actually be able to make a living on this hobby someday, if I can keep developing the customer base and churning out product.

Time to go to the shop.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #1922
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post

Thanks for the compliments, guys. This little run gives me hope that I might actually be able to make a living on this hobby someday, if I can keep developing the customer base and churning out product.

Time to go to the shop.
And how much does a knife like that cost?

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #1923
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I got mine!

KnivesShipFree.com

Says "none available"

Damn.

Smithy- love the brass/BB/hilt thing
Old 04-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #1924
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
And how much does a knife like that cost?

I originally asked $300 for this blade, which is less than I would have if I'd had to forge-weld the chain myself... I got it from a fellow knifemaker, which cut my cost considerably. My customer has been generous, though, and tipped me a bit more than what I asked for.

Generally speaking, 300-500 seems to be my range for basic knives of modern steel, with a nice but not seriously exotic furniture. Mammoth Ivory, for instance, bumps price up a lot, because the material is not cheap to start with. Woods I can get my hands on easy enough, don't command a premium of their own.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #1925
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
I just received a Buck Vanguard. I wanted a "working man's", priced knife that could be used for general camp, hunt and fieldcraft duty. I wanted a stainless steel, drop point blade between 3" and 4" long for good, fine cutting control. I also wanted a blade that had good "belly", for strength. I also wanted it to be American made and one that was pleasing to the eye. I did a lot of research and chose this Buck. This is an excellent knife and designed by someone that has "been there, done that", came back, and designed a solid, well thought out, field tool.

The knife arrived razor sharp, nicely boxed, with a business card that had Buck's clearly stated "Forever Warranty". The flip side of the card had a personal message from Chuck Buck, Chairman/Owner of Buck Knives.

The quality and workmanship of this knife is top notch. I put it to some whittling on a piece of aged 2X8 pine I have for edge testing and was able to shave nice, tight curls of .010" thickness, no problem. I ran approximately 70 shaves and the edge was still perfect. Making a good "feather stick", would be simple with this blade. A nicely shaped ergonomic handle with a slight palm swell made it handle easily and comfortably. The spine thickness measures out to .137", plenty thick enough for a 4.25" long blade with a 3.75" long cutting edge. Plenty of backbone with lots of spare material for re-sharpening due to the deep belly and relief cut in front of the finger guard.

I don't baton with knives as a general rule, though this knife would probably be OK in a limited capacity (I prefer a light axe for splitting). The back of the blade is squared well and produces great sparks from a Swedish Army Fire Steel.

The only criticism I have of this knife is that Buck should look into putting some thumb grip cross cuts on the spine just forward of the finger guard to improve control of the blade. This would also help with control of the blade when using it upside down for the initial split of the belly of a game animal. Not a biggie, as I can do this myself with a Dremel tool (and will do to this to this knife). I've field dressed quite a few white tailed deer over the past 40 years and I think this would be a nice improvement. I like to use a surgical latex glove on my knife hand when field dressing to improve overall grip on a knife handle, just the thumb cuts (or when inverted, for index finger control), would be all I'd want.

I don't work for Buck Knives. Just wanted to pass this along to you guys that are maybe put off by the price of some of the knives you've seen on this thread. You can have a top quality "do it all", knife and not have to sell your first born to get it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #1926
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
I just received a Buck Vanguard. I wanted a "working man's", priced knife that could be used for general camp, hunt and fieldcraft duty. I wanted a stainless steel, drop point blade between 3" and 4" long for good, fine cutting control. I also wanted a blade that had good "belly", for strength. I also wanted it to be American made and one that was pleasing to the eye. I did a lot of research and chose this Buck. This is an excellent knife and designed by someone that has "been there, done that", came back, and designed a solid, well thought out, field tool.

The knife arrived razor sharp, nicely boxed, with a business card that had Buck's clearly stated "Forever Warranty". The flip side of the card had a personal message from Chuck Buck, Chairman/Owner of Buck Knives.

The quality and workmanship of this knife is top notch. I put it to some whittling on a piece of aged 2X8 pine I have for edge testing and was able to shave nice, tight curls of .010" thickness, no problem. I ran approximately 70 shaves and the edge was still perfect. Making a good "feather stick", would be simple with this blade. A nicely shaped ergonomic handle with a slight palm swell made it handle easily and comfortably. The spine thickness measures out to .137", plenty thick enough for a 4.25" long blade with a 3.75" long cutting edge. Plenty of backbone with lots of spare material for re-sharpening due to the deep belly and relief cut in front of the finger guard.

I don't baton with knives as a general rule, though this knife would probably be OK in a limited capacity (I prefer a light axe for splitting). The back of the blade is squared well and produces great sparks from a Swedish Army Fire Steel.

The only criticism I have of this knife is that Buck should look into putting some thumb grip cross cuts on the spine just forward of the finger guard to improve control of the blade. This would also help with control of the blade when using it upside down for the initial split of the belly of a game animal. Not a biggie, as I can do this myself with a Dremel tool (and will do to this to this knife). I've field dressed quite a few white tailed deer over the past 40 years and I think this would be a nice improvement. I like to use a surgical latex glove on my knife hand when field dressing to improve overall grip on a knife handle, just the thumb cuts (or when inverted, for index finger control), would be all I'd want.

I don't work for Buck Knives. Just wanted to pass this along to you guys that are maybe put off by the price of some of the knives you've seen on this thread. You can have a top quality "do it all", knife and not have to sell your first born to get it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
I have an example of what seems to be the same design. It is marked Buck 692, has a rubber handle, and the brass is not polished. It is a great knife with good ergonomics.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #1927
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,483
Quote:
You can have a top quality "do it all", knife and not have to sell your first born to get it.
Nice writeup and pictures, and just how much was it?

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:56 AM   #1928
worgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Great looking knife Bought one last year for the same purpose. Good luck
worgoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #1929
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Holy shit.

Gorgeous.
+1
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #1930
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
I have an example of what seems to be the same design. It is marked Buck 692, has a rubber handle, and the brass is not polished. It is a great knife with good ergonomics.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #1931
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
That's the one.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #1932
TK Baha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
Doug Ritter RSK with Kevin Wilkins grips. My favourite "working" knife.
Scott Cook Lochsa.
Only a true Knife Knut would have a Ritter Grip blade with Wilkins Grip scales. That's too cool and it's making me jealous! Very nice Lochsa, too.
TK Baha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #1933
TK Baha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Thoughts on these for general use sharpening (kitchen, utility, etc.)?

http://www.edgecraft.com/page2a.html
I wouldn't use that on anything I was real fond of.

If you have some nice blades, go ahead and get an Edge Pro.

I have the Apex model for V shaped edges and it works great with just a little practice.

http://edgeproinc.com/

The only powered equipment I would use would be a belt sander for sharpening convex edges. Haven't had a chance to try that out for myself but it's supposed to work great.

If any of you guys are trying to track down a certain model Bark River knife, check out their forum. Most of their dealers read and post there and will tell you if they have what you're looking for.

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showforum.php?fid/59/
TK Baha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:57 AM   #1934
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,957
Quote:

The Buck Forever Warranty is no BS. I have a Buck Folder I bought in 1986. It has dressed every big game animal I've ever shot, and all the ones my boys have shot, plus some of my friends' deer and elk. And a mess of birds.

So I have some emotional attachment to the knife. A few years back, I was field dressing a deer, and got sloppy and snapped the tip of the knife off busting apart the pelvis bone. I called Buck and asked about getting the blade replaced.

They did the work, and reconditioned the rest of the knife as new, and would not accept money. I told them several times it was from my abuse and not the fault of the knife in any way. I picked up the knife in person at their plant in Post Falls ID as I was traveling through.

"This is a forever warranty, Mr. Roberts. There is no charge. Thank you for choosing Buck Knives."

That's a good company.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #1935
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Says "none available"

Damn.

Smithy- love the brass/BB/hilt thing
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: