Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 173 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #2146
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
Damn it Sniper! All you FFs need to stop reposting those Bark Rivers. I cannot afford to buy another knife!!!

Bastiges!!
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #2147
CrustyD3mon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274

I WANT ITTTTTTTT
CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 PM   #2148
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,472
Very small niche market for that knife, but very cool, very clever. Sort of reminds me of a Lagiole.

I have one similar to this -- I bought three when in France, and them to my two best friends, one as a wedding present.

New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #2149
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyD3mon View Post
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ml2syrrppG8/Ta4Oz34XACI/AAAAAAAAcho/kpvVuJm0L7U/s1600/nice+knife+bro.jpg

I WANT ITTTTTTTT
Quick release to get it off the bike???

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #2150
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,482
Finally got my ass off the dime and got busy in the Harness Shop. I had that nice knife that Smithy so kindly made me but no sheath.

Well, I really only know how to make one style of sheath, and that's the Loveless/Dozier style pouch - I'm not nearly as good as they are but:

I use a full-grain leather that I buy tanned but undyed, and work it with all hand tools. I dyed this one Antique Brown, which gives the leather a bit of a patina. the stitching is "Over two, back one" hand done in heavy synthetic. It's one piece of leather.

Maybe I aught to spend more time learning leather and do sheaths!

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #2151
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,741
Very nice, sir.

My only suggestion to improve the sheath construction, would be to go ahead and do the full stitch, using a welt, and double the back piece so you had the flesh side exposed both to the knife and to your hip... it'll be a cleaner look, and the doubling will give it a little more rigidity. Just uses more leather, is all, but you can make the belt loop integral by not stitching that portion up the sides... even one long piece, folded over at the top, would work too.

That said, it's better than most of the leatherwork I put out myself. I just have seen a LOT of sheaths, and have the pictures in my mind. It compliments the blade well, I think. I hope you use the snot out of it and that it serves you well.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #2152
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Very nice, sir.

My only suggestion to improve the sheath construction, would be to go ahead and do the full stitch, using a welt, and double the back piece so you had the flesh side exposed both to the knife and to your hip... it'll be a cleaner look, and the doubling will give it a little more rigidity. Just uses more leather, is all, but you can make the belt loop integral by not stitching that portion up the sides... even one long piece, folded over at the top, would work too.

That said, it's better than most of the leatherwork I put out myself. I just have seen a LOT of sheaths, and have the pictures in my mind. It compliments the blade well, I think. I hope you use the snot out of it and that it serves you well.
Smithy, I too, have made my sheaths like Manuel has done in his post.

Would you recommend using the same weight leather for the sheath you suggested? Or would you use a lighter weight leather for the actual knife contact pieces and a heavier piece for the backing?

I think a nice leather sheath really can show off the handle of a knife that's made with a fancy type of wood (or bone, antler, etc.). I'd like to try my hand at beadwork on a sheath someday, but that's a whole different ball game, for sure.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #2153
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
Smithy, I too, have made my sheaths like Manuel has done in his post.

Would you recommend using the same weight leather for the sheath you suggested? Or would you use a lighter weight leather for the actual knife contact pieces and a heavier piece for the backing?

I think a nice leather sheath really can show off the handle of a knife that's made with a fancy type of wood (or bone, antler, etc.). I'd like to try my hand at beadwork on a sheath someday, but that's a whole different ball game, for sure.

"It depends".

Largely, I think, on the weight and size of the knife. Smaller pieces would do well with equal weight panels, while something monstrous would benefit from a thicker backing. I think only experience and experimentation will set the formula.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #2154
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Very nice, sir.

Thanks, I try hard. My wife said "Wow, you have really gotten better!". So, as a Harness Maker, I'm a good Grave digger...It's my eighth sheath since I started making knives.

I can not add another layer of leather - my thonging punch only goes 3 layers. For safety reasons [ask me about drilling thru my finger a couple of years ago - the feeling is almost all come back] I won't work with unpunched leather, no awls for me.

I have a prototype of this style sheath that I've worn pretty hard for more than a year that is barely broken in - this one is pretty tight, it take two hands to get the knife out right now. I'm going to have to break it in - I was a little agressive with the cam for the guard - I carved a bit of it down and it will get better with wear. I may just swab some beeswax inside to lube it a bit.

Because the blade is not very wide, I initially considered the Randall old style sheath where the back is partly double, the sheath front is a separate piece with a welt and stitched all around the blade with a snap strap right above the guard that holds the beast in place To be honest, I'm not that fond of hand-stitching. I can do it pretty well, as you can see from this single needle work, but to do much more than that.

Alas, I don't have snaps on hand. Sigh.

Now I understand why bigger knives ride higher on the hip, this one makes getting into the car interesting. Should get some attention this summer.

I think the antique brown with the varigated color compliments the handle well, and I tried extra hard to narrow the profile of the sheath as much as I could to reflect the blades true dimensions.

And oh, yea, it's got a drain hole at the very bottom of the sheath just in case I take a swim, although I'm sure it would start to rust before I got to shore.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 05-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #2155
d mc gee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Don't want to brag, ....but it's got some coustom work done to it. Notice the paint and the Fat Max blade. Made in the USA too.

01 1150 GS
84 R100RS
74 XL350
d mc gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:09 AM   #2156
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
The model 99E is a classic.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #2157
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by d mc gee View Post
Don't want to brag, ....but it's got some coustom work done to it. Notice the paint and the Fat Max blade. Made in the USA too.

Hard to argue with a classic like that, plus if you really want to you can resharpen the blade. Can't tell, is that the model with the retractrable blade? I had one that did NOT retract and found it less useful all around because it's nice to be able to pocket it. Is that John Deere yellow you used on that?

Old 05-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #2158
Somerled
Mountain Warrior

Oddometer: 315

It's a Dark Operations spring operated. Served me well in the 'stan.

'77 BMW R100/7 with Velorex sidecar, Hannigan faring and windshield
'03 Honda Silverwing 600 FSC with Clearview windshield & vent
'06 SYM HD200 with GIVI 105 windshield
Somerled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #2159
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerled View Post

It's a Dark Operations spring operated. Served me well in the 'stan.
I need this.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #2160
d mc gee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Hard to argue with a classic like that, plus if you really want to you can resharpen the blade. Can't tell, is that the model with the retractrable blade? I had one that did NOT retract and found it less useful all around because it's nice to be able to pocket it. Is that John Deere yellow you used on that?
Oh yes my friend, fully retractable. John Deere? Dunno, Came from a paint pen in the break trailer. I didn't wan"t to let the cat out of the bag, but I have a fully polished one too. Not allowed to carry anything not auto retract though.

01 1150 GS
84 R100RS
74 XL350
d mc gee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: