Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 87 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #2161
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kürbczech View Post
Gonna do my best not to rant. The Cliff-Notes version is:

Ordered the shadow box a couple of weeks ago, and I brought the purdy item in on Tuesday so they could mount it inside. It wasn't done on Wednesday (which was the date they promised), so I checked again on Thursday. The same older associate said that the recent computer system re-boot had changed a lot of their ordering processes, and that they were over a day behind on everything.

When he retrieved his younger counterpart, the young man explained that, contrary to what the other associate thought, most of the pieces for my order had never been shipped, even though they had been ordered twice at that point. He was sincerely apologetic and wanted to help amend the situation the best he could. I'm a patient person, and that was fine by me. We mull over some other options and decide it would be best to have the purdy item in front of us for comparison.

He retrieves it from the safe in the back office, and a female manager is hot on his heels. They're arguing, and from what I overhear, she's pissed and doesn't care about my order. Apparently the young associate was supposed to have clocked out three hours prior, and that's exactly what he's going to do -- even if it means delaying my order once more.

I'm going to vent a bit now, so if your eyes don't like to read profanity, you should probably just skip to the bottom.

I should have told that rude, self-righteous bitch to take it up the ass. I'm the fucking customer, and I should get whatever I want. It would have taken that associate a whopping FIVE MINUTES to draft a new order sheet, thereby giving me a better deal on better materials, and then the problem would have been solved. Everything was fine until she showed up with a bad fucking attitude. He was staying late to save her store from losing business since the company decided to haphazardly screw with their ordering system. It was insulting how she aired her dirty laundry in front of a customer, snapping at him that they were going to have "a chat." And the way she spoke to him AND me in that condescending manner reminiscent of so many asinine managers of my youth makes me wanna slap that bitch silly!

So it's still not done. I, however, was not the one that hyped this whole thing up anyway.

Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #2162
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post

+1!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #2163
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,102
So, I have no idea where this knife came from, it just appeared out of nowhere. It looked pretty rusty and I've had it just in a pile of junk, but today I spotted it and thought maybe I could use a slipjoint in my pocket - I don't have a swiss army knive right now, my usual pocket knife and I've not been carrying my folder or wearing my belt knife right now.

It's sort of rough, but with some CLP and 0000 wool, I managed to scrape off enough of the debris to make it walk and talk, and I grabbed the lansky to put some new edges on it - took a while, I think it's decent steel.

It's a Case, on the large clip blade, it's stamped Case XX USA and on the other side 33044, which I assume is a model number. The scales are delrin I think, some sort of yellow plastic, not Micarta.

I could take abrasives to the blades and clean 'em up, but the stains make it look better and don't interfere with it being sharp and usable.

Ah, the wonders of google:

Case XX USA 1977 33044 Birdsey Stockman

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #2164
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Helle Taiga

Made in Norway. It's got a laminated steel blade and is very very sharp.

It came with a nice sheath, but I wanted something a little different, so I made one for it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The sheath mounts on the belt like a Hunter holster. The Firesteel striker fits in a pocket on the inside of the belt section.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #2165
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,102
Nifty sheath design but it took me a while to figure it out [I'm kinda slow sometimes]. JOOC, why not use the knife as the striker rather than carry a separate piece?

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #2166
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,627
...or at least, carry a P-38 instead, so you can open the ocaissional c-rat...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #2167
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Nifty sheath design but it took me a while to figure it out [I'm kinda slow sometimes]. JOOC, why not use the knife as the striker rather than carry a separate piece?
The back of the blade on the Helle Taiga is not ground to a sharp corner for striking. I could have ground one myself, but don't like butchering blades. I tried striking sparks with a Mora 2000 and f****d up the edge. I prefer using the cheap striker that came with the Firesteel.

One of the professional sheath makers over on bladeforums.com (Bandido Leather), asked me if it was OK for him to use this idea! Great bunch of guys over there. If you're into knives, sheaths, survival stuff, bushcraft, custom built knives, etc., you should check it out. #1 site for knife lovers.

A P38 will fit in the sleeve along with the striker! I just gave it a try. Thanks for the idea, Tony the Tiger!!
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #2168
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
A P38 will fit in the sleeve along with the striker! I just gave it a try. Thanks for the idea, Tony the Tiger!!
Once in awhile I connect.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #2169
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
Damn it Sniper! All you FFs need to stop reposting those Bark Rivers. I cannot afford to buy another knife!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Bastiges!!
You guys are really going to hate the one I ordered Friday.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #2170
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

KC just walked in the door and tossed this at me.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #2171
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,514
And you just had to shoot it so the paint blob showed.

Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #2172
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
And you just had to shoot it so the paint blob showed.

S'cool.

You did an awesome job cleaning this thing up.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #2173
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,397
What exactly is a P38 in reference to firestarting?
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #2174
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
What exactly is a P38 in reference to firestarting?
The P38 is for opening cans, it was an old military item associated with K-rations, C-rations and MCI meals.
I think he was just adding a extra goodie to his set up.

ChromeSux screwed with this post 05-29-2011 at 08:08 PM
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #2175
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
You guys are really going to hate the one I ordered Friday.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: