ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 176 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #2401
worgoose
Gnarly Adventurer
 
worgoose's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Seacoast NH
Oddometer: 399
any issues with the liner lock? I've never been a big fan.
worgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #2402
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose View Post
any issues with the liner lock? I've never been a big fan.
Er, that's what I was referring to.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #2403
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon
 
Stromdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: St. Pete, FL
Oddometer: 2,703
Kershaw Blur.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #2404
worgoose
Gnarly Adventurer
 
worgoose's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Seacoast NH
Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
Kershaw Blur.
Nice knife but still has a liner lock, never really feel comfortable with the security of those
worgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #2405
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 7,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose View Post
Nice knife but still has a liner lock, never really feel comfortable with the security of those
Don't know about security, I'm just not coordinated enough to use a liner lock without doing eventual damage to my thumb. My current favorite is the Benchmade axis lock. I like being able to close a knife one handed as easily as I can open it.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:07 PM   #2406
AlanCT
The Byronic Man
 
AlanCT's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Northeastern CT
Oddometer: 3,335
I am expecting this in the mail shortly - a Boker Pocket Bowie:


http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...ml?s=BO02BO266


It should fit nicely in my Adirondack Pocket Sheath.
__________________
"You wouldn't be riding a motorcycle if you weren't an optimist."
- Matthew Crawford
2005 Ural Tourist, 2000 Kawasaki W650
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #2407
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose View Post
Nice knife but still has a liner lock, never really feel comfortable with the security of those
On the CRKT the lower guard stud will close on your thumb before the blade does.

I've tested it many times.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #2408
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose View Post
Nice knife but still has a liner lock, never really feel comfortable with the security of those
Are you sure a small fixed-blade knife wouldn't serve you better?
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #2409
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon
 
Stromdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: St. Pete, FL
Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
Are you sure a small fixed-blade knife wouldn't serve you better?
Good thought. There are lots of "neck" knives out there that might work: Becker Necker, Esee Izula, to name a couple of popular ones.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #2410
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Motomedic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Spokane
Oddometer: 2,449
A gift from a very appreciative customer who knows I like blades:


Sprint run ParaMilitary 2 w/ Carpenter CTS-20CP steel.
__________________
Feike

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #2411
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...
 
Jason F.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Smyrna, TN
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose View Post
Nice knife but still has a liner lock, never really feel comfortable with the security of those
Security? What the heck are you doing with it that has you that concerned? I abuse the heck out of my knives which spend 12 to 18 hours a day in my pocket. I cut heavy gauge cardboard and numerous other packing materials on a daily basis. I cut twine and plastic strapping on a regular basis. I use them as screwdrivers and pry bars like I know I should not on at least a weekly basis. I slice up an apple at lunch ever day or so, heck I have even deburred both steel and aluminum parts off the production floor on a fairly regular basis. I have never felt that my CRKT or Kershaw liner lock knives were any less secure, stable, or safe than a similar lockback or rolling lock style folding knife. Never had one become unlocked through either misuse or failure of the mechanism.
__________________
"I've come to realize that just about everything is none of my business." Br. Cassian Vigna
Jason F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #2412
worgoose
Gnarly Adventurer
 
worgoose's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Seacoast NH
Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post
Security? What the heck are you doing with it that has you that concerned? I abuse the heck out of my knives which spend 12 to 18 hours a day in my pocket. I cut heavy gauge cardboard and numerous other packing materials on a daily basis. I cut twine and plastic strapping on a regular basis. I use them as screwdrivers and pry bars like I know I should not on at least a weekly basis. I slice up an apple at lunch ever day or so, heck I have even deburred both steel and aluminum parts off the production floor on a fairly regular basis. I have never felt that my CRKT or Kershaw liner lock knives were any less secure, stable, or safe than a similar lockback or rolling lock style folding knife. Never had one become unlocked through either misuse or failure of the mechanism.

I agree as a utility knife they are fine but I am looking for a tac knife very different uses. As far as a neck knife goes they are limited by wardrobe and can be hard to draw in the wrong situation. Also with a pocket folder you can always make the claim that it is a utility knife, thats not so easy in the case case with a neck knife.

I am leaning toward the Benchmade but wanted to get some other opinions first
worgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #2413
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose View Post
I did not notice the attachment points at the other end on the quick search I did I may have to check them out. What is the lock mechanism like?
liner lock...
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #2414
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose View Post
Nice knife but still has a liner lock, never really feel comfortable with the security of those
You must be a 1%er of knife use then. I have had tactical knives with a liner lock for years, probably 15 or so years and put them through a lot of abuse and never had a failure. Sounds like you DO need a small fixed blade.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #2415
Sauterelle
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: The Northeastern States
Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by worgoose View Post
I agree as a utility knife they are fine but I am looking for a tac knife very different uses. As far as a neck knife goes they are limited by wardrobe and can be hard to draw in the wrong situation. Also with a pocket folder you can always make the claim that it is a utility knife, thats not so easy in the case case with a neck knife.

I am leaning toward the Benchmade but wanted to get some other opinions first
I love my benchmade, I have the mini-barrage, it's easily the best knife I've owned.
Sauterelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014