Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 212 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #2641
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
What's a good big chopper knife? Something like an Ontario SP-8.

Yes indeed. I am getting another one to throw in the Range Rover for good. It is cheaper than another Hooligan and just as good at chopping.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #2642
plutonic
Outsider

Oddometer: 3,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I put it together. It is a Buck Hoodlum, a CRKT M16 large tanto, a set of medical shears, and a Leatherman Wave, the little (BRIGHT) light is a Coleman available at Wal Mart (24$), and the item not shown in the back on the sheath is a throwing knife in stainless that can also be used as a spear head.

How about the sheath? Did it come with the Hoodlum?

"You are born. And you die. And if you are very lucky in between you get to ride motorcycles."
plutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #2643
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
There are smallish fixed blades that will fit in your pocket. I have several from Bark River. Any of them would be better than that craptacticool SOG. Augmented w/ a hatchet and/or a pocket chainsaw and you'd be in pretty good shape.

Honestly, main reason I like the SOG folders is that they are usually out of sight when you have them clipped in your pocket. Unlike say my last Spyderco, which had a clip about a third of the way down the handle, so it was always super obvious that you had it. Some other companies have the clip facing, IMHO, the wrong way, and it's not natural for me to get the knife out of my pocket and open it.

If you have good suggestions that take care of the above issues and are not SOGs, I'd love to check them out. As long as they aren't $200. I can't really afford to buy the best/custom stuff right now. Around $60 for a folder is the budget. About the same budget for a fixed blade, or I'd get something like Sniper's Hoodlum.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #2644
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,154
Quote:
I put it together. It is a Buck Hoodlum, a CRKT M16 large tanto, a set of medical shears, and a Leatherman Wave, the little (BRIGHT) light is a Coleman available at Wal Mart (24$), and the item not shown in the back on the sheath is a throwing knife in stainless that can also be used as a spear head.
Can I ask, in all honesty and humility, why the shears?

I can see the usefulness in a para-medic kit to cut gear/clothes down after a crash or something but in a "knife kit"?

Is it just a secure way to carry scissors without them piercing through the sheath or it's for something beyond my understanding?
Old 09-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #2645
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,519
If you have a look at the scales on your folder, you may discover that there are extra holes for relocating the pocket clip.

There are right-hand/left-had options, and some even go so far as to have hinge-up/hinge-down options.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #2646
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonic View Post
How about the sheath? Did it come with the Hoodlum?
Yes indeedy. Great sheath too.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 AM   #2647
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Can I ask, in all honesty and humility, why the shears?

I can see the usefulness in a para-medic kit to cut gear/clothes down after a crash or something but in a "knife kit"?

Is it just a secure way to carry scissors without them piercing through the sheath or it's for something beyond my understanding?
Shears make themselves very useful around camp or in dire situations. It is easier to cut things like cloth, string and such and safer with shears than it is with a knife sometimes. It is also very useful on small game cleaning....
Old 09-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #2648
Jason F.
Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Shears make themselves very useful around camp or in dire situations. It is easier to cut things like cloth, string and such and safer with shears than it is with a knife sometimes. It is also very useful on small game cleaning....
I started carrying them after stopping for a downed rider who had a bike land on his hand. He had glove liners (neoprene) and over gloves (heavy leather) on but his hand was bleeding, swollen, and crushed. The hand had swollen enough that we could not remove his glove which meant we could not get to the cut to stop the bleeding.

It seems like it would be a simple thing to just pull off a glove and wrap a hand in gauze when you are looking down at your healthy uninjured hand. It is completely different when that hand is swollen and the glove is filling with blood. The shears will cut leather and textile moto gear safely and easily in most cases. Had we had some that day we could have gotten the glove off much quicker and easier. He had to endure some extra pain while we wrestled to get the gloves free enough to cut with a knife and we had to be very careful to not cause further injury with the knife.

Long story short Medical Shears are and massively useful tool that should be in every riders first aid kit in my opinion.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #2649
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason F. View Post
I started carrying them after stopping for a downed rider who had a bike land on his hand. He had glove liners (neoprene) and over gloves (heavy leather) on but his hand was bleeding, swollen, and crushed. The hand had swollen enough that we could not remove his glove which meant we could not get to the cut to stop the bleeding.

It seems like it would be a simple thing to just pull off a glove and wrap a hand in gauze when you are looking down at your healthy uninjured hand. It is completely different when that hand is swollen and the glove is filling with blood. The shears will cut leather and textile moto gear safely and easily in most cases. Had we had some that day we could have gotten the glove off much quicker and easier. He had to endure some extra pain while we wrestled to get the gloves free enough to cut with a knife and we had to be very careful to not cause further injury with the knife.

Long story short Medical Shears are and massively useful tool that should be in every riders first aid kit in my opinion.
I'm not THAT idiot you know...

I understand the need/usefulness in a med-pack...I was just asking what was the idea behind carrying it in a knife kit.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #2650
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:

Damn fine idea to have some of those shears. I never thought about them this way.

I'm going to get a pair for the first aid kit I carry on the bike. Thanks!
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #2651
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Now, not quite as small as those, but I used to keep a pair of Penny Shears in my tool bag, and they got used frequently. The pair I had came from an EMT supply place, and had a little piece of plastic on them to blunt the end. Those shears would cut everything. I never figured out what happened to them. I should have another set.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #2652
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
If you have a look at the scales on your folder, you may discover that there are extra holes for relocating the pocket clip.

There are right-hand/left-had options, and some even go so far as to have hinge-up/hinge-down options.
My two Spydercos gave me the ability to take the clip off. That was about it.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #2653
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
My two Spydercos gave me the ability to take the clip off. That was about it.
Not all Spydies do all configurations. I picked up a Spyderhawk today and it is tip up right/left same as my Manix 2 and Sage 2. Which is ok by me as I am a tip up sort of guy!

Which models do you have?

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #2654
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Most of the CRKTs let you put it wherever u want.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #2655
SD240z
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:

You're going to want trauma shears for that, not the bandage scissors you've got in that picture. Less expensive, cut a lot better for that kind of stuff. But good idea to keep with you. For the love of god don't start carrying Kelly Clamps! [EMS joke]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: