Strider SLCC2 TAD Edition
pics?
Old 09-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #2673
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
The last I checked, Spyderco (as well as other makers) is having a problem with Chinese knock-offs. Checking their website, (http://www.spyderco.com/) there wasn't a model named the "Persistance", nor does C136GP show any results there.

Methinks you are about to purchase a cheap POS. Caveat Emptor.
I don't think knock-off folks usually feel compelled to let you know they are made in China...
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #2674
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
I don't think knock-off folks usually feel compelled to let you know they are made in China...
Would the chinese stuff be stamped Japan on the blade? I'm just wondering how you would be able to tell if you were buying a fake or not. Just picking up the Ladybug I have sitting here, it has "SEKI - JAPAN" on the base of the blade.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #2675
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Badass is what it is.
Along those lines does anyone have a tactical tomahawk and is it better or more versatile than a good hatchet as dual purpose utility and defense?
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #2676
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Would the chinese stuff be stamped Japan on the blade? I'm just wondering how you would be able to tell if you were buying a fake or not. Just picking up the Ladybug I have sitting here, it has "SEKI - JAPAN" on the base of the blade.
Spyderco is made in Seki City Japan.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #2677
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevishook View Post
Along those lines does anyone have a tactical tomahawk and is it better or more versatile than a good hatchet as dual purpose utility and defense?
IMHO, a Hawk is not as good for hatcheting as a true hatchet, but it is more fun to throw, and more of a tactical weapon than a traditional hatchet because of the length of the handle, and the shape of the blade. Tomahawks tend to be a little light headed for serious chopping, and thinner in the blade for it. Useful for light chopping for sure, but not as good as a quality hatchet for that.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #2678
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
IMHO, a Hawk is not as good for hatcheting as a true hatchet, but it is more fun to throw, and more of a tactical weapon than a traditional hatchet because of the length of the handle, and the shape of the blade. Tomahawks tend to be a little light headed for serious chopping, and thinner in the blade for it. Useful for light chopping for sure, but not as good as a quality hatchet for that.
Don't you have a nice TacHatch?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #2679
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,889
Ahem.

Equinox Coronado Bug Hawk.

Cold Steel BUG head, with a composite handle hand-made by my buddy Mike Gapp. 28 inches long, 23.3 ounces. Extremely weaponized, but useful in the bush.

The thing about hawks, is, they peck. They don't chop, like a hatchet, but the curve of the blade means greater psi at the cutting point, and that will surprise many when you put some force behind it.

I quit carrying around my gerber hatchet, which weighs just as much as this, at less than half the length, and less than half the utility. This and a long knife, and I'm set in the woods. If I wanna get fancy I pack my Gerber hand saw and a pocketknife or Mora, in addition to the core kit.

It is exceptional when used in the old Army four-count crowd clearing manuver one typically applies with bayonet-ed rifle. And since it weighs so little, you don't get fatigued in using it like you might with a 5+ pound woods tool. It makes taking one on longer hikes easy in the weight/utility equation. The hollow handle is excellent for storage if you like, as a blow tube for the fire (or darts), doubles as a "bow" for bowdrill fires, serves as a cane in a pinch, a stout pole for a shelter, and probably a dozen other uses I haven't been able to imagine, but someone else might.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #2680
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,246
Quote:
Some of them. They also make some in Golden, Colorado. It depends on the steel and design.

They even have value priced product from Taiwan and China, but the premium stuff is all USA & Japan.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #2681
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
I was givin that yeas ago, it is a great quality 440c stainless and my first thought was it would make a great spear point. I'll look at it tonight and see what make it is. On the sheath, it is all stock but if you look at the leatherman pouch on the front, I just used the already sewen on Velcro straps on it to attach that sheath for the leatherman and it fits as if made for it. The pouch for the CRKT will fit a varity of foldres or even a small fixed like a kneck knife, and the shears, and possibly a little something else like a swiss army knife. I have the whole deal MOLLyed onto my big ass bail out bag now but can get it off in a matter of seconds if needed.
Thanks, SniperX! I'm going to try and put one of your rigs together. I normally pack a GB Wildlife hatchet, a Mora 2K or 746, a folder and one other, fixed blade, knife from my collection to "play with", on bike camping/touring trips.

Your set up looks like it could easily replace my current kit, though I'd probably still take a Mora along anyway. That Buck Hoodlum is a beast, with a top notch design pedigree. I like the integration of all the essential tools in one portable, reasonably lightweight and compact package. Well thought out, with a spear point to boot!

Surgical shears are now in my first aid kit for the bike, (with a second pair in my auto kit).

Thanks to all that chimed in on the shears, too!

This is a great thread!
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #2682
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Not all. I own Spydies from Japan (the aforementioned Seki City), Italy (A Hossam Forager) and from right here in the good ol' USA. What I was unaware of until earlier in this thread is that Spyderco also has a "Value" line made in China. The Persistence is one of those.

And on the tomahawk vs hatchet discussion, I found the SOG 'hawk that was given to me sucked as a chopper. A Gransfors hatchet is on my short list of edged tools....

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #2683
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,515
Smithy, that is one cool tool.

I got a very awesome present from my best friend -- a Japanese kitchen knife, actually from Japan (he was traveling for work), and a very nice quality one at that. It's unusual in that the cutting edge is absolutely straight. He described it as a utility blade. It's got the single-sided bevel blade about 11" long (a bit longer than I'm used to). I'm not ordinarily afraid of knives, and I'm accustomed to both sharp knives, and to making them sharp. This thing is so sharp it frightens me - it actually raised the hair on my neck. I actually worry about EG-ing myself just handling it.

I'm incredibly bummed about it however. The very first time I used it I managed to break a chip out of the blade by getting it embedded in the cross-grain end-cap of my bamboo cutting board. The thing must be RC60 or more to be so brittle. I used a diamond DMT stone to remove the nick but have put some irregular scratches in the hollow grind, and the beveled side is now getting into the hammon in places, which makes me sad - it was such a pretty thing before the ham-fisted round-eye screwed it up.

Anyone have any tips about restoring the very fine scratch pattern from the hollow-grinding wheel?

I also need to buy some finer stones to really put a proper edge back on it, my ceramic wet stones only go up to 3000.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #2684
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,357
Send it to Smithy. Sounds to me like in addition to the repair, the edge angle should be changed for a little better durability, too. That's a job for a pro w/ a belt grinder, IMO.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #2685
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
Send it to Smithy. Sounds to me like in addition to the repair, the edge angle should be changed for a little better durability, too. That's a job for a pro w/ a belt grinder, IMO.
Smithy do good work.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: