Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
That's the little one.

"Oh, do behave!"
Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #3152
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 976
Smithy,
That's a nice looking setup. I am tucked away, clean shop full of computers and machines..but have a hanker n to stomp some steel sometimes.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #3153
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 1,023
Came across this video for a local Knife maker:

Made by Hand / No 2 The Knife Maker from Made by Hand on Vimeo.

I hope to stop by one day!
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #3154
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Just replaced my Leek. Mine was the silver blade, blue scales, well the one I gave away was. I missed it's practicality so much I bought a new one yesterday.

Meaner looking I must say,

Old 12-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #3155
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Condor Hudson Bay. This style of knife dates back to the frontier days. It's a beast. The second pic is a comparison shot with an Eese 6 which is a fairly large knife.

Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #3156
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,807
I don't mean to be rude or put down your fine piece of cutlery, but no frontier-era smith would have let a knife with those hammer dings out of his shop. As I study old work, I am constantly amazed by the level of fit and finished our ancestors produced with hand tools.

That there's a market for that kind of finish always surprises me a little.

Now, for the overall profile and size, I like it.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #3157
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Quote:
I don't mean to be rude or put down your fine piece of cutlery, but no frontier-era smith would have let a knife with those hammer dings out of his shop. As I study old work, I am constantly amazed by the level of fit and finished our ancestors produced with hand tools.

No problem, Smithy. I agree! The Hudson Bay can also be had in a smooth grind with a powder coated blade. But at a price point of 40 bucks, I can live with "not quite there", on the hammer marks. This blade is going to be used hard. The finish is (I believe), a modern interpretation of a "trade", knife.

Seeing as I'm going to beat the thing (and probably give it away, eventually), it's aesthetics mean little to me. I like to separate the "sizzle" from the "steak", when it comes to tools that I'm going to use. For me, it's toughness and design. The "spic and span", stuff is for the other guys and for custom builders looking to get the "long" number. The Hudson Bay is made of good quality steel and if it has the same heat treat as my Condor Bushlore does, it's going to serve me very well.

Condor makes a great blade, IMHO. Great value for the buyer that has limited financial resources, but wants top performance.

An example: Ray Mear's bushcraft knives are extremely pricey, yet the below pictured Condor Bushlore knife was under $60, delivered! Functionally, I doubt anyone could tell the difference between the Condor and the much more expensive Mears knife! I'd do a Mears knife for $100 more than the Condor, but anything more than that is a "no value" deal, for me and I USE my blades! I can buy 6 or 8 of the Condors to every one of the Mears Bushcrafters, and I don't have to sit on a waiting list. YMMV, of course!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #3158
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Your Bushlore looks similar to the knife I'll probably make at the Bark River Grind-In in February. I'm leaning toward a 4-inch spearpoint, which will put it in between their Aurora and Liten Bror in size. I'm planning contoured walnut (given to me by an old friend) and Corby bolts.

The Condor is such an attractive price point, though, I'm having a tough time not ordering one of those right now!
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #3159
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
I just looked around Condors site. Have you fondled an LEK? Looks like a nice little EDC.

http://www.condortk.com/productsdetail.php?prodid=60210
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #3160
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Quote:

The first though I got when I saw it was it looked like a Frontiersman made it himself for himself. I have seen many non professionally made knives from at least the teens and they all kind of resemble that level of finish. Most are either that shape too or the typical butcher shape. It's pretty cool in a way.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #3161
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Finely planished steel is an acceptable level of finish, for lack of files or grinding tools to flatten a piece. The dimples above are considerably deeper than that, though, and purposely put there to achieve a look, rather than being there as an artifact of forging and simply unfinished to a high level.

All that said, I'd use it, happily. Looks hefty.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #3162
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
I just looked around Condors site. Have you fondled an LEK? Looks like a nice little EDC.

http://www.condortk.com/productsdetail.php?prodid=60210
Looks like it would work like a champ, though EDC'ing a fixed blade of that length could be challenging.

i've got one of these on order. It kind of reminds me of a Roman Gladius (short sword). It'll spend its life next to the bed stand which houses my Glock 19.

http://www.condortk.com/productsdetail.php?prodid=60200
Old 12-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #3163
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,067
Quote:
Finely planished steel is an acceptable level of finish, for lack of files or grinding tools to flatten a piece. The dimples above are considerably deeper than that, though, and purposely put there to achieve a look, rather than being there as an artifact of forging and simply unfinished to a high level.

All that said, I'd use it, happily. Looks hefty.
What I know about blade-making would fit in a bottle-cap. But I thought that dimpled blade looked a little contrived. I would think that the size of hammer a blacksmith might use to form a crude but functional blade would be of a size that would leave much larger marks on the steel, not those little fine craters.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #3164
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
What I know about blade-making would fit in a bottle-cap. But I thought that dimpled blade looked a little contrived. I would think that the size of hammer a blacksmith might use to form a crude but functional blade would be of a size that would leave much larger marks on the steel, not those little fine craters.
Thinking about it, you guys are probably right. The guys I ride and camp with probably won't know the difference when I offer it to one of them to use to go find some firewood! I guess it does offer some of the "feel" of this type of knife and for less than $40.00 delivered, it should offer some decent utility. I've got a direct line to the North American rep. for Condor and I'm going to pass along your observations to him. He's been very responsive in the past. Condor seems to be very interested in consumer input, so maybe they'll consider modifying the hammer markings.

Could these markings have been cold rolled onto the blade stock prior to blanking? If so, then a pattern change of the rolls might turn the trick.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #3165
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

It looks like someone went after it with a ball pein hammer before heat treatment, from the picture it looks like the marks don't fully reach the ricasso. Harden and temper, hit with a wire brush grinder, and dress the edge. I'm surprised it's so cheap considering the effort they went to going after that look.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: