Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 175 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #3271
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post

It sits, waiting for other work to get finished first. On deck, finally, the Dire Machete.
On deck?

Old 01-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #3272
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
On deck?

Batter up.

It was time to quench again, after extensive grinding and shaping.

First dip in the pool, got a wicked curve to the right. Straight back to the fire, it went, and I forged out the bend and got it all tidy straight again. Normalized a couple times, then back in the water - and again, curve to the right, almost as bad as the first time. 1.5 seconds in, 3 seconds out, 3 seconds in, pull out, and pray...

Listen...

No "tink"...

Whew. Pass blade through fire a couple times to warm up to tempering heat, pull it out, watch the bend recede somewhat, then cool in the bucket to room temp.

Upon close inspection, it appears I did not crack this blade, even though it's long and kinda thin W1 steel, in very hot water. No clay this time, I wanted a clear view of the surface and the ability to manage my heat evenly.

It's also a considerable challenge to evenly heat 18 inches of steel in a forge only 12 inches or so deep, with a hot spot.

Now it's in the oven, tempering at 425*F, after which I will gently try to massage out the bend in the blade. Maybe I'll temper it twice, again at 450, before doing that. My mistake on round one was to try and bend untempered martenisite, with dramatic and painful results. If this works, and tomorrow evening I have a straight blade, it'll get finished, sharpened, and shipped this week. The grip won't take but a couple hours at most, and cleanup about the same.

So here's hoping against hope that the hard part is behind me. I hate to have to refund a man's money, and this has taken quite long enough, thank you.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #3273
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Batter up.

It was time to quench again, after extensive grinding and shaping.
Sounds like you had quite a New Years party

I really am waiting for this to be done. Your work is amazing and I am in awe as you describe how the process occurs.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #3274
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Quote:
Batter up.
Wow.

I'm sorry, man.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #3275
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Wow.

I'm sorry, man.

Sorry for what? It's not quite done, but it's not dead either. I'm giving it 24 hours for any unconverted Austenite to turn into Martensite, then temper again this evening. After that, when I'm sure there's no dangerous brittleness in the blade, I'll try working out the kink, then finish up. Shouldn't be too hard if the Gods aren't frowning on me.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #3276
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Quote:
Sorry for what?
The pain in your ass this seems to be.

Sounds more technically difficult than I ever imagined.

Quote:
I'm giving it 24 hours for any unconverted Austenite to turn into Martensite

Quote:
Shouldn't be too hard if the Gods aren't frowning on me.
I will sacrifice a virgin something or other tonight so they may smile upon you.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #3277
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Long blades are always a challenge, which is why I don't do many, and why this one has been slow - lots of variables to control.

Martensite is the hard crystal formation in hardened steel. It can also be as brittle as glass. The knife that cracked before I hardened yours, I was able to snap with my hands like a potato chip, at the weak point.

Tempering is that process which "softens" the physical structure, dulls the needle-like crystals in the steel, and provides flexibility and toughness to a hard blade.

Quenching is what makes Martensite, because at heat, everything is in solution and swimming around - freezing that action puts a lot of stress into steel. But, not all martensite is formed right away - sometimes it can take up to a day for all the other "loose" material to form up, so even though it was tempered once, tempering again later catches anything that was late to the party.

Kevin Cashen, a phd metallurgist, explains this really well in an old article that seems to be lost from the net, but he has a "rosetta stone" of metal terms here: http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...-Rosetta-Stone

Here's his website, with a longer explanation of heat treatment: http://www.cashenblades.com/heattreatment.html
Old 01-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #3278
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Quote:
Long blades are always a challenge, which is why I don't do many, and why this one has been slow - lots of variables to control.

Martensite is the hard crystal formation in hardened steel. It can also be as brittle as glass. The knife that cracked before I hardened yours, I was able to snap with my hands like a potato chip, at the weak point.

Tempering is that process which "softens" the physical structure, dulls the needle-like crystals in the steel, and provides flexibility and toughness to a hard blade.

Quenching is what makes Martensite, because at heat, everything is in solution and swimming around - freezing that action puts a lot of stress into steel. But, not all martensite is formed right away - sometimes it can take up to a day for all the other "loose" material to form up, so even though it was tempered once, tempering again later catches anything that was late to the party.

Kevin Cashen, a phd metallurgist, explains this really well in an old article that seems to be lost from the net, but he has a "rosetta stone" of metal terms here: http://www.swordforum.com/forums/sho...-Rosetta-Stone

Here's his website, with a longer explanation of heat treatment: http://www.cashenblades.com/heattreatment.html
I figured they were different crystal structures in steel, but didn't get the rest.

Cool stuff, thanks.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #3279
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:

A good way for noobs to experience this is to use more simple metals like copper and brass.

They work harden easily, quench easily, temper easily and are good at being obvious examples of the differences.

I remember workin with copper, you could make it hard like glass, then heat it up pretty hot and walk away for a while, when you came back its almost be the consistency of playdoh.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #3280
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Actually, ferrous and non-ferrous materials are the opposite. Quenching hot copper anneals it, while it hardens steel.

The Complete Metalsmith, by Tim McCreight, lays out the method for hardening silver by heating it evenly, soaking at heat, and then letting slow cool - the even arrangement of material makes it rigid, where as the irregular arrangement of material softens it.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #3281
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Actually, ferrous and non-ferrous materials are the opposite. Quenching hot copper anneals it, while it hardens steel.

The Complete Metalsmith, by Tim McCreight, lays out the method for hardening silver by heating it evenly, soaking at heat, and then letting slow cool - the even arrangement of material makes it rigid, where as the irregular arrangement of material softens it.
I must've been doing it wrong then.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #3282
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
A gift from my fiance.

Thanks for tip, Snipe.
So how well does it work in practice?
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #3283
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
I love it. Even put a new shelf above my bench so it'll be handy.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #3284
Apocalypse Cow
SHEEP LIE!!!!!

Oddometer: 378
My wife picked one up for me for Christmas, after a little hinting on my part, and I have been getting knives from all of the neighbors to sharpen.
It works great.

"I've set the bar high because I'm tired ducking."
Apocalypse Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #3285
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
So how well does it work in practice?
Yes, very well indeed. Just this morning my son commented on how much sharper our serrated steak knifes are now.

It is nice to have sharp scissors too
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: