Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
not mine...but:

CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #3542
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 950
A friend got in touch to let me know he wanted to move on from his MSC NM Grind SnG. My set is now complete!

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #3543
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
A friend got in touch to let me know he wanted to move on from his MSC NM Grind SnG. My set is now complete!

Those are super bitchin, and have such an interesting grind....I love them.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #3544
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyD3mon View Post
not mine...but:

I love the TOPS knives. They are well priced for a semi custom too.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #3545
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Those are super bitchin, and have such an interesting grind....I love them.
Thanks Mr. Sniper!

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #3546
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Years ago I had a nice Benchmade who's pocket clip broke and I replaced it with a Kershaw knife. It too was a nice knife, but a little small for my hand. I just got another Benchmade and love it.

McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #3547
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
The factory edge on my ZT200 has held up amazingly well so far.

I'll need to get a good cheap sharpening rod soon so I can try to stay on top of it.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #3548
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,402
They're Just Tools to Me

I carried this Gerber Mk II for 23 months in Vietnam in the late 60's. I'm happy to say that it was never used for its intended purpose, but for anything other than its intended purpose it wasn't very practical. In the early 80's I once again found myself in uniform, defending Michigan against Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Canada with the National Guard. The venerable Gerber, by then in a sheath made for me by a friend, was still every bit as useless as a utility knife but it sure did look good taped inverted to the left strap of my LBE harness. It currently resides in a place of honor somewhere in the bottom drawer of my roll-away tool chest out in the garage.

The Kershaw Ken Onion is my favorite pocket carry folder - not too expensive, sharpens without effort and opens easily and quickly, even when jammed full of pocket lint, with my painfully arthritic thumb. If and when it gets lost I'll pop for another without a second thought.

The paring knife is a cute little Henckel that I rescued from my wife and her damned electric knife sharpener. Since I'm retired and she's not I took control of the kitchen, the electric sharpener went to the curb, the knives are always sharp, I do the cooking and everyone is happy.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 02:13 PM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #3549
JBADV
searching for sanity

Oddometer: 3,382
I have that same Kershaw,it's my EDC knife.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #3550
ahhhgladius
broken rider

Oddometer: 57
i have a rob dalton companion model one. satin blade, black anodized handle. auto open

rest in pieces, my steel horse....
ahhhgladius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #3551
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post

I carried this Gerber Mk II for 23 months in Vietnam in the late 60's. I'm happy to say that it was never used for its intended purpose, but for anything other than its intended purpose it wasn't very practical. In the early 80's I once again found myself in uniform, defending Michigan against Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Canada with the National Guard. The venerable Gerber, by then in a sheath made for me by a friend, was still every bit as useless as a utility knife but it sure did look good taped inverted to the left strap of my LBE harness. It currently resides in a place of honor somewhere in the bottom drawer of my roll-away tool chest out in the garage.

The Kershaw Ken Onion is my favorite pocket carry folder - not too expensive, sharpens without effort and opens easily and quickly, even when jammed full of pocket lint, with my painfully arthritic thumb. If and when it gets lost I'll pop for another without a second thought.

The paring knife is a cute little Henckel that I rescued from my wife and her damned electric knife sharpener. Since I'm retired and she's not I took control of the kitchen, the electric sharpener went to the curb, the knives are always sharp, I do the cooking and everyone is happy.
LexLeroy, I had a Gerber MkII in circa 1970-72 when I was in the Army. You're correct, it wasn't a very practical camp-knife, but definitely had a cool look to it at the time. Lots of guys admired mine. One apparently admired it more than most as it disappeared one day, stolen, just a few days before I was discharged. Thanks for posting that pic, brings back some memories.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #3552
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhhgladius View Post
i have a rob dalton companion model one. satin blade, black anodized handle. auto open
And it looks like?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #3553
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,402
Buck 124 Frontiersman

As I noted in a previous post, and as HardCase has concurred, the Gerber Mark II wasn't much good as a utility knife. Even though I briefly carried mine years later in the Michigan National Guard, back before being a Guardsman became the deadly serious business that it is today, I realized that I needed an edged tool more suitable for weekend drills and summer camp.

As a member of an AirCav aero-rifle platoon (heli-borne grunt) I wanted a knife that I could use to chop my way into or out of a downed Huey, whittle firewood, cut salami, spear C-ration delicacies or most importantly... hack my way into a cardboard case of cold beer. This Buck 124 Frontiersman, on sale at J.C. Penny, fit the bill.

It was an awkward thing with an uncomfortable grip that felt like a piece of 2x2, but man oh man was it ever stout. A little work with a file and some emery cloth got it to where I could grasp it for 10 minutes without reaching for the aspirin.

Fast forward to the first weekend drill that I had the knife - I was walking point during a midnight land navigation exercise and after the third trip through the same briar patch the platoon leader figured out that something had gone awry. He called me over and we started going through my pockets and gear looking for something that could be affecting my compass. Can you guess what it was? Yep, the new Buck knife. I had no idea that stainless steel could be so strongly magnetized. Worse yet I was never able to de-magnetize the knife, even with a big degausser that a buddy had in his tool and die shop.

It goes camping with me nowadays, but I keep it well away from my compass. Thankfully it has no effect on my GPS.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 04:00 PM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #3554
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,691
I don't know if this will count or not,,, but I made (assembled?) this one for my cousin's son.

Take one of these....

Add these,,,

and you get this,,,

and after awhile it turns to this,,,,

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #3555
xring04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
^^^^ That's awesome!!!! ^^^^^^
xring04 is offline   Reply With Quote