ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 129 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #3631
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
I finally picked up an ESEE Izula recently. It seems like a great, all around knife. I'd like to get some handle scales for it though.
Yep, great knife, google the scales and you'll find many thousands to choose from even custom exotics.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #3632
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer
 
spagthorpe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 14,412
Got a surprise box from a friend of mine today. Inside was:



The top is a Kershaw Blur, which is has one of those spring loaded flips on it. It's a little smaller than my normal CRKT pocket carry, so I'll probably start using it. The textured grip is certainly nicer than the CRKT, though I've never had a Kershaw, so know nothing about the blades.

The bottom is a Japanese Higo Knife, made by Miyamoto Manufacturing Co, and sold by Best Made in NY. I really like the blade on it, very, very sharp. When I opened it, it took me a second to realize it has blade lock, no spring. Weird how programmed I've gotten in the last few years with the knives I've gotten. This thing is very old school and nice to have around.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #3633
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer
 
Fire Escape's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Epsom, NH
Oddometer: 1,467
Thumb Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Got a surprise box from a friend of mine today. Inside was:



The top is a Kershaw Blur, which is has one of those spring loaded flips on it. It's a little smaller than my normal CRKT pocket carry, so I'll probably start using it. The textured grip is certainly nicer than the CRKT, though I've never had a Kershaw, so know nothing about the blades.

The bottom is a Japanese Higo Knife, made by Miyamoto Manufacturing Co, and sold by Best Made in NY. I really like the blade on it, very, very sharp. When I opened it, it took me a second to realize it has blade lock, no spring. Weird how programmed I've gotten in the last few years with the knives I've gotten. This thing is very old school and nice to have around.
I really 'need' one of those Blurs!
My first assisted open was a Kershaw Blackout, it came with a 'scary sharp' edge and would touch up nicely when needed. When I lost it (ski slope of waist high grass) I tried a Gerber Fast Draw (and a few others) but eventually got another Blackout. That Blur keeps attracting me as do a couple of others, problem is (besides spending way too much of my 'disposable income' on knives) that automatics are now legal here and while they may not be all that much faster to deploy ( and I really can spare the time ... usually) the ones I have allow you to open the blade with what seems to me to be a more secure grip on the knife. I also like that can close them without having my thumb in the 'line of fire' as the button releases the lock as well, which is something that didn't bother me until I 'went back to' a liner lock. So this current 'preference' for autos is keeping me from buying some nice knives like that Blur and a Zero Tolerance I've been drooling over.

Bruce
__________________
No one calls the Fire Department because they did something smart!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #3634
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Marietta, GA
Oddometer: 205
Finally got a couple pics taken - my newest obsession....



__________________
2012 BMW K1600 GTL
Stratlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #3635
FatChance
Road Captain
 
FatChance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Oddometer: 10,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratlanta View Post
Finally got a couple pics taken - my newest obsession....

That Benchmade 581 Barrage is a wonderful knife. Love mine!
__________________
Pain in the Butte Ranch
Durango, Colorado

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #3636
maloosik
Squishimus Squidimus
 
maloosik's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Mile High City
Oddometer: 485
Sage 4 is one solid knife. Next on my list.
__________________
I am happy to be here in this country and to know that the sport here is also important because the crowd here know about bikes and the riders, no? So they so much love. So it's important that this sport can grow up in this country... ~ Whorehay Lorenzo
maloosik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #3637
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Marietta, GA
Oddometer: 205
Yeah, I'd have to say that the Sage 4 is my favorite because it fulfills an every day carry function so well, but the the Barrage and Adamas are right up there as well and would be my "other" choices if I could only keep a few. Incredible knives.
__________________
2012 BMW K1600 GTL
Stratlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #3638
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,336
I picked up a Dean Oliver in CO Friday. The vendor said he's from Oregon. The blade is 1095, stylized with a forging look, plus some file work. The scales are maple. It has a 5" blade, 9" OAL. Thin. Only $66. I sharpened it on the Work Sharp then a leather hone before using it in food prep tonight. I like it. Feels great in hand. Now, the pic:

tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #3639
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon
 
Smithy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: 22310
Oddometer: 7,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
I picked up a Dean Oliver in CO Friday. The vendor said he's from Oregon. The blade is 1095, stylized with a forging look, plus some file work. The scales are maple. It has a 5" blade, 9" OAL. Thin. Only $66. I sharpened it on the Work Sharp then a leather hone before using it in food prep tonight. I like it. Feels great in hand. Now, the pic:

Nice design, but it looks like he overheated the blade - those little "blister" shapes come when you do that. I'm sure it's sharp and works well, but I'll bet a nickle that it snaps on you someday, and that when it does, the grain will be huge.
__________________
Consultant, Geospatial Science at Viking Geographic LLC Always Exploring
Proprietor of The Tidewater Forge Hot iron is my passion. Fire is my mistress. Let's dance.
35 Years of Scouting Blog for Bushcrafting and Boy Scouting experiences.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #3640
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Nice design, but it looks like he overheated the blade - those little "blister" shapes come when you do that. I'm sure it's sharp and works well, but I'll bet a nickle that it snaps on you someday, and that when it does, the grain will be huge.
Thanks for replying. I hoped you would, and I had a feeling you wouldn't think highly of what was done to the blade. It'll work fine for what I'll use it for and I have others I'd rather bet my life on. OTOH, the store had a little necker-sized one that I might have to have shipped this way.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #3641
CrustyD3mon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CrustyD3mon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 267
I just thought this is interesting to share here....



CrustyD3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #3642
rotten
LOST AGAIN
 
rotten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Soquel, CA
Oddometer: 670
Daily Carry

This is my daily carry for the past year or so some other knives are put into duty from time to time. Still very much a benchmade fan.

rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #3643
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer
 
soyanarchisto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Sunny PDX
Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
That Benchmade 581 Barrage is a wonderful knife. Love mine!
Over the weekend I lost my beloved mini griptilian while adventure riding in Eastern Oregon. After some reading and research I decided to upgrade to the the 583 Barrage. Can't wait to get it.

As a public service announcement, I found it cheapest at midway USA and as an added bonus, they have a promotion of $20 off orders of $100 or more for new customers.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #3644
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Marietta, GA
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
Over the weekend I lost my beloved mini griptilian while adventure riding in Eastern Oregon. After some reading and research I decided to upgrade to the the 583 Barrage. Can't wait to get it.

As a public service announcement, I found it cheapest at midway USA and as an added bonus, they have a promotion of $20 off orders of $100 or more for new customers.
I think you will love it. I've actually been carrying the 581 Barrage regularly. A bit big but really high quality. Love the mini grip too....
__________________
2012 BMW K1600 GTL
Stratlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #3645
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!
 
Roadracer_Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,425
Are those custom scales, or did that come from Benchmade? That is one handsome knife!

I, too, like Benchmade quality, but find a lot of it overly "tactical" for my tastes.

a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
This is my daily carry for the past year or so some other knives are put into duty from time to time. Still very much a benchmade fan.

__________________
------------------------------
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
------------------------------
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014