Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 87 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #3646
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Are those custom scales, or did that come from Benchmade? That is one handsome knife!

I, too, like Benchmade quality, but find a lot of it overly "tactical" for my tastes.

a
It was shipped from bench made that way... I very foolishly traded away my benchmade AFCK. After years later I found a replacement limited production AFCK. It's not the one that I had, but close.

I am too getting away from the tactical, and find there are benchmade knives that are more suitable daily carry than most tacticals. Working in an office environment I don't need a knife that scares people when used!

This looks good too... Need to have a look!

rotten screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 09:04 AM
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #3647
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
I am too getting away from the tactical, and find there are benchmade knives that are more suitable daily carry than most tacticals. Working in an office environment I don't need a knife that scares people when used!
Ha yes, that's a good point. I don't want to look like a total psycho pulling out a 4 inch blade to open a box from Staples... lol...
Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #3648
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratlanta View Post
Ha yes, that's a good point. I don't want to look like a total psycho pulling out a 4 inch blade to open a box from Staples... lol...
That's why I like my doug ritter version of the mini grip.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #3649
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,008
Quote:
I think you will love it. I've actually been carrying the 581 Barrage regularly. A bit big but really high quality. Love the mini grip too....
Both sizes are pretty nice...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #3650
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,396
You say that like it's wrong.

I made my next door neighbor jump a bit yesterday at lunch - we ordered an appetizer that came in 3 pieces, and needed to divide one of them. I had palmed my EDC Kershaw (with a Carson-style flipper), when I opened it with authority, the resulting clack startled him. I got a good chuckle out of that.

He's not knife-phobic, we're talking about making custom kitchen knives.

a

Quote:
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #3651
Stratlanta
Flabby Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Haha, well I do have to admit that I've been carrying the 581 Barrage recently..... psycho looking or not!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #3652
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,092
If you are the big tree, we got the small axe

Ready to cut you down...

Two heads are better than one.

OK, not knives, but still, nice sharp shiny things. Granfors from Sweden. These are hand-made axes, the small one is their camp hatchet with a half-kilo head, the other is the small splitting axe with a kilo head.

They made pretty much every kind of axe a man could use including those for hewing timber. Finding those specialties can be a challenge.

I managed to hack into a drywall screw with the hatchet while splitting kindling, it knicked the blade but nothing like a cheaper blade and it took only a couple of minutes on the stone to clean it up.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #3653
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,332
I've heard nothing but praise for Gransfors.
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #3654
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
Yes, they are awesome. Love the hatchet.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #3655
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Ready to cut you down...

Two heads are better than one.

OK, not knives, but still, nice sharp shiny things. Granfors from Sweden. These are hand-made axes, the small one is their camp hatchet with a half-kilo head, the other is the small splitting axe with a kilo head.

They made pretty much every kind of axe a man could use including those for hewing timber. Finding those specialties can be a challenge.

I managed to hack into a drywall screw with the hatchet while splitting kindling, it knicked the blade but nothing like a cheaper blade and it took only a couple of minutes on the stone to clean it up.

Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #3656
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Chris:

Thanks for posting that - WOW, so that's what a real power hammer can do to hot steel - yeowzah. That guy made it look so easy - of course that was a relatively uncomplicated but NTL, the speed and faculty of his highly skilled movements - very cool.

I'm no axe man, but I love, and I mean love a good tool and these are art.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Old 09-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #3657
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
+1. Here's some more. I own several Gransfors axes, acquired them over the past decade. It's hard to describe what magnificent tools they are. Here's one of them, the big splitting maul. I don't have the little pamphlet handy so don't recall the exact name, but I've had this one for about 5 years and have used it a fair bit, including one long tough day last January when I split and stacked 2+ cords of firewood, helping out a friend. The maul performed perfectly.

I don't own a wood stove nor a fireplace in my home......although that's going to change in the next year or two.....but have taken the maul camping to split firewood. Maybe it's overkill for that and a smaller one would suffice. Maybe that'll give me an excuse to buy another one or two! In any case, I've never needed to take a file or stone to this bad boy. The edge is still nearly as keen as it was the day I bought it.

I also like the fact that the initials of the maker which are on the head of all Gransfors axes just happen to be the same as my own. Back to the edge, I have several axes and hatchets by this maker and they hold an edge for a very long time, much longer IMHO than cheap hardware-store axes.

Edit: I never go anywhere (well, aside from the office or grocery store.....or a trip on a commercial airliner, something I avoid as much as I can) without three things, a good knife, a rifle or handgun, and an axe or hatchet. Period.

Hard cases make bad law.

HardCase screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 08:07 AM
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #3658
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Chris:

Thanks for posting that - WOW, so that's what a real power hammer can do to hot steel - yeowzah. That guy made it look so easy - of course that was a relatively uncomplicated but NTL, the speed and faculty of his highly skilled movements - very cool.

I'm no axe man, but I love, and I mean love a good tool and these are art.

That's actually a rotary press - it's not hammering material, but rather using an eccentric to run the press dies - and the whole bank of dies is the impressive part to me, everything you need to do a whole workflow in front of you. A real artifact of the transition from the pre-industrial smith, to the automated factory machine. A machine very much out of time.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #3659
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
That's actually a rotary press - it's not hammering material, but rather using an eccentric to run the press dies - and the whole bank of dies is the impressive part to me, everything you need to do a whole workflow in front of you. A real artifact of the transition from the pre-industrial smith, to the automated factory machine. A machine very much out of time.
Interesting. Yes, it's not a trip hammer, and I love the timing needed to work it. And I agree that the workflow setup is absolutely terrific - no wasted therbligs there.

But I would say that for their purposes there could be no machine better - I like that it's quiet rather than slamming. And it enhances the lifespan of each smith not having to do so much hand work.

One thing I found interesting is how much steel has to be removed in the grinding process, which of course makes forging less critical than it was back in the hand-grind to finish days.

Also, you can see the experience in the smith's fluid and smooth movements - every one of them is purposeful and he takes no more time than necessary at each step.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #3660
maloosik
Squishimus Squidimus

Oddometer: 485
Spyderco Caly 3.5 with Hitachi Super Blue blade steel.

I also just picked up a new Hogue EX-01 hasn't arrived yet.
I am happy to be here in this country and to know that the sport here is also important because the crowd here know about bikes and the riders, no? So they so much love. So it's important that this sport can grow up in this country... ~ Whorehay Lorenzo
maloosik is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: