ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 208 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #3766
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer
 
soyanarchisto's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Sunny PDX
Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
HEY! I have that exact same watch! Actually, no, mine is the Chrono version....
The picture makes it look better than it is. I've had it for nearly 20 years and its been my daily wear for almost all of that time. Its a little beat up and scratched but still keeps good time.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #3767
perterra
-. --- .--. .
 
perterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 7,400
G Sakai captain camp knife. Bought it for the camper but it's been moved in to the house and the Henckles in the kitchen went to the camper.
__________________
My Father was my maker. Poverty was my maker. Distrust was my maker. I have met them all my life.


IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #3768
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
The picture makes it look better than it is. I've had it for nearly 20 years and its been my daily wear for almost all of that time. Its a little beat up and scratched but still keeps good time.
Mine needs a new battery and a cleaning but on the outside it still looks pretty new.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #3769
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
G Sakai captain camp knife. Bought it for the camper but it's been moved in to the house and the Henckles in the kitchen went to the camper.
I can see why...nice indeed.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #3770
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 10,126
Skachet

Anyone familiar with this thing? It was called the Skachet, an old-school survival tool made back in the late '60s until I'm not sure when. I bought this one circa 1969, maybe 1970, when I was in college. I used it hunting, it has a very sharp edge and a gutting groove. I dressed 2 deer with the thing. It came in a little leather pouch for belt carry.....not a bad little gizmo, really.







It has a threaded eye, roughly 1" in diameter, so you can take a green piece of wood of that size or slightly oversized, whittle it down to dimension, and then screw on the head to make a respectable hatchet....



They were made in Japan and sold for, as best I can remember, around $7 or $8. I have no idea what it might be worth now, maybe should check eBay to see, not that I care to sell it. Part of my personal history.



Maybe I'll copy this and put it over on the axe thread. It is both a knife and an axe. Does anyone else have one or had one in the past?
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #3771
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!
 
Roadracer_Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,510
I remember them, but that is about all I can tell you.

I live quite near to The Japan Woodworker, and always need an excuse to go drool. I'll ask next time I'm down there.
__________________
------------------------------
Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
------------------------------
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #3772
perterra
-. --- .--. .
 
perterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 7,400
I remember seeing them, thats about all though.


Charlie May Bobwhite. D2,
__________________
My Father was my maker. Poverty was my maker. Distrust was my maker. I have met them all my life.


IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #3773
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker
 
Old_Lion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Whiskey Pint, NY
Oddometer: 3,111
Skachet

Made or marketed by
Gyrfalcon, Inc
Kutz Bld
1104 Fernwood Ave
Camp Hill, PA

Tel. *7 1 7 - 7 6 1 - 0 8 2 0

That was then.
I don't know what happened to mine.

Patent:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3187354.html

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3187354.pdf

George
__________________
"Honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere"

Plug and Plug.

Old_Lion screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 01:56 PM
Old_Lion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #3774
perterra
-. --- .--. .
 
perterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 7,400
They were also produced by Charter Arms in the US for awhile.
__________________
My Father was my maker. Poverty was my maker. Distrust was my maker. I have met them all my life.


IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #3775
RedRocker
Native Texican
 
RedRocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N.Texas
Oddometer: 5,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Anyone familiar with this thing? It was called the Skachet, an old-school survival tool made back in the late '60s until I'm not sure when. I bought this one circa 1969, maybe 1970, when I was in college. I used it hunting, it has a very sharp edge and a gutting groove. I dressed 2 deer with the thing. It came in a little leather pouch for belt carry.....not a bad little gizmo, really.







It has a threaded eye, roughly 1" in diameter, so you can take a green piece of wood of that size or slightly oversized, whittle it down to dimension, and then screw on the head to make a respectable hatchet....
I've got one.
__________________
N. Texas
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #3776
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic
 
nomiles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Bay Area ~ NorCal
Oddometer: 3,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
I remember them, but that is about all I can tell you.

I live quite near to The Japan Woodworker, and always need an excuse to go drool. I'll ask next time I'm down there.
There was one at the Laney a few weeks ago, some guy bought it before I could, it went cheap.
__________________
Everybody is someone else's weirdo.
nomiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #3777
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 10,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiles View Post
There was one at the Laney a few weeks ago, some guy bought it before I could, it went cheap.
They aren't valuable, looks like you can pick them up on eBay for less than $20. I saw some guy trying to sell them for $100 a while back, but doubt he had much luck. I just thought it was an interesting gizmo, an early survival tool. Heavy thing though. Now if they'd made them out of titanium, that'd be something!!
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #3778
Old_Lion
Crotchety Biker
 
Old_Lion's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Whiskey Pint, NY
Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
They aren't valuable, looks like you can pick them up on eBay for less than $20. I saw some guy trying to sell them for $100 a while back, but doubt he had much luck. I just thought it was an interesting gizmo, an early survival tool. Heavy thing though. Now if they'd made them out of titanium, that'd be something!!
One on Ebay.
Ends
Oct 23, 2012 19:56:50 PDT
Item number
150929674012

George
__________________
"Honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere"

Plug and Plug.
Old_Lion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #3779
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,308
The trick to the Skatchet, and I probably should not let this intel out, is that you can make a great handle out of galvanized pipe for it using an elbow, a length of 1in that fits the threads. Comes apart for fitting into a small bag, and goes together to make a handy hatchet along with the other attributes of the skatchet.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #3780
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 10,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
The trick to the Skatchet, and I probably should not let this intel out, is that you can make a great handle out of galvanized pipe for it using an elbow, a length of 1in that fits the threads. Comes apart for fitting into a small bag, and goes together to make a handy hatchet along with the other attributes of the skatchet.
Uh oh, you might be in a lot of trouble, letting that bit of info out, kinda like a recipe for a nuke. A Skachet with a metal handle is pretty scary stuff!!!






PS: Thanks for the tip!
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014