User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 177 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #4156
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
I like this old Browning folder I bought in the mid 70's. It could use a good polishing, but the tarnished look is kind of nostalgic.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #4157
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
The videos of John's work are about as good as the work itself. Nothing terribly special about the damascus, it's well-executed and clean, but damn that video makes it look sexy. Pulls out all the romantic stops to the craft.

To my knowledge, they've never been a high-volume shop, though, so why all the advertising effort if they're not putting out any quantity has confused me. He's never answered that question on the Bladesmith Forum either.
So he will get hundreds of more orders even though it takes six months or so to fill the order.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #4158
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
When a knife maker says he is not taking orders it is because he has 3-5 years of backlog. Getting a custom-made knife in 6 months is pretty quick.

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #4159
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,153
Quote:
The videos of John's work are about as good as the work itself. Nothing terribly special about the damascus, it's well-executed and clean, but damn that video makes it look sexy. Pulls out all the romantic stops to the craft.

To my knowledge, they've never been a high-volume shop, though, so why all the advertising effort if they're not putting out any quantity has confused me. He's never answered that question on the Bladesmith Forum either.
Same volume with increased demand equals higher retail price.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #4160
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS-RagE View Post
When a knife maker says he is not taking orders it is because he has 3-5 years of backlog. Getting a custom-made knife in 6 months is pretty quick.
A business position I would like to be in!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #4161
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
A business position I would like to be in!
mmm..yea until said customer is on his 10th call "just to see how its goin" .
Used to be a gunsmith I new that had a loooong rifle rack. When he booked a job he would place the rifle in the right hand side of the rack. When he finished a job they would all move one slot to the left.
When you called "just to see how its goin"..he would take your job and move it all the way down to the right.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #4162
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,745
My perspective is skewed, because I have a day job.

My fear is that once I take it on as a full-time vocation, I'll hate it for the pressure it brings. I work well, when I'm being creative and find a customer for what I've made, but hate taking a commission, a deposit, and them owning a piece of your life you have to pay back by a proposed date.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #4163
99sleepyhollow
JOEY DUNLOP 26 TT WINS

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
I like this old Browning folder I bought in the mid 70's. It could use a good polishing, but the tarnished look is kind of nostalgic.

SNAP ... I have the exact same Browning knife and leather pouch , I never thought I'd ever see another one ..... I was born in October 1968 , my uncle ( my mums older brother ) left Northern Ireland in the summer of 1968 to live in Toronto and one of the first things he bought in Canada was the Browning knife and pouch which he give to me on one of my many visits to stay with him , think it was in August 1997 . Unfortunately he past away on 10/10/2010 . He and I were big mates over years so the knife is very special to me .
99sleepyhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #4164
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Quote:
I work well, when I'm being creative and find a customer for what I've made, but hate taking a commission, a deposit, and them owning a piece of your life you have to pay back by a proposed date.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #4165
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post

Love you man, just won't ever take cash up front again. Not while I have a day job and family demands. Hope there's no hard feelings.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #4166
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Quote:
Hope there's no hard feelings.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #4167
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,361
Knives of Alaska Suregrip Cub Bear Caping Knife

funny Product Description from Amazon:
"A great choice for mild weather camping, the Arctic Leaf sleeping bag from Wenzel is a full-size, lightweight, affordable rectangular sleeping bag that's temperature rated to 30 degrees Fahrenheit. It's filled with four pounds of Wenzel's hypoallergenic Insul-Therm polyester fiber fill, and it also features a durable polyester outer shell and polyester liner. The quilt-through construction helps reduce the bunching of fill to eliminate cold spots. Other features include self-repairing zippers and two integrated elastic straps."
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i01

ordered today.. let see if the knife comes with an sleeping bag!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #4168
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sleepyhollow View Post
SNAP ... I have the exact same Browning knife and leather pouch , I never thought I'd ever see another one ..... I was born in October 1968 , my uncle ( my mums older brother ) left Northern Ireland in the summer of 1968 to live in Toronto and one of the first things he bought in Canada was the Browning knife and pouch which he give to me on one of my many visits to stay with him , think it was in August 1997 . Unfortunately he past away on 10/10/2010 . He and I were big mates over years so the knife is very special to me .
Nice story.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #4169
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,263
I was going to buy another Benchmade knive but changed my mind and bought these:

The black Johnny Cash one is going to be a present to my son when He turns 18 in ten years. He's as big a Cash fan as I am and I figured I would get it now while they are still made in the USA.

The blue one is to replace the one I lost years back. I have a couple other trappers that my grandfather gave me including a well used one that dates back to the late 40's.

Anyone else collect Case knives?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #4170
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
With that description, I'd go with a Spyderco Delica, but it will likely be a bit above $40. If that's a hard limit, try the Tenacious.

http://newgraham.com/store/product/4...us-PE-SC122GP/

I just took delivery of this one. Mostly because I like the blade shape. It does seem to be built to a price point. SPYDERCO says it's their original "entry level" model.
Pros: It operates smoothly, with no free play when open. The grind on the blade appears to be easily sharpened. The clip feels strong.
Cons: It's rather wide when closed, probably because of large the open hole. The tang that locks it in the open position is not making full contact with the blade. This makes me nervous, but it's an easy fix.
Over all I think it is a good dollar value & I'm happy with the knife.
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Now if my new ESEE-5 would just get here.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: