User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 95 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #5281
Rgconner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Shinichi Wantanabe is the knife maker, using Kamaji or Jigane iron, which is traditionally salvaged from highly weathered and repeatedly highly stressed items like bridges and ship anchors.

Shinichi prefers old ship anchors/chain because the iron has a unique texture that can sort of be seen in the photo.
Does not do it justice. Oiled with Camellia Oil it shines like a wet fish skin, with silvers, greens and even some reds from impurities

The blue paper steel is sandwiched in, producing the distinctive "hamon" line where the two metals meet.

I asked for the Togidashi sharpening. 6 grits, the last one on the family's ancestral water stone. No noticeable bevel to the blade.

I did not pay for the "best" knife, I paid for a knife made with the highest craftsmanship, and from a master craftsman from a long line of master craftsman. I can only say the blade has a soul.

I own 4 of his kitchen knives too. While not as pretty as this blade, they are supremely functional and sharp as razors.
Bio from his site:
Quote:
I'm the sixth bladesmith in the line of Watanabe blade smiths in Sanjo-city Niigata-prefecture Japan. Therefore, my family have been bladesmiths since my great, great, great, grandfather. Their brothers and their brother's children were also bladesmiths. We have been bladesmiths from generation to generation since 1897.
I know about our ancestor's history back to 1897, but I don't know much about it before that. Last year, my grandfather's house was moved to make a new road. During the construction, many remains were found. There were a lot of iron ore, water stones, some pieces of fire place bricking, some pieces of bellows and slag. And they dated back to the Heian Period in 794! It's possible that the Watanabe family has been blade smith since then!
In other words, this site has been producing knives, swords and tools dating back to the Japanse deveopment of the distinctive 2 metal hardened Japanese sword.

BTW, I do take this knife camping and fishing (it is a fish knife after all) and it is still so sharp after 2 years of use it will still scrape the ridges from your fingerprints if you run the blade over your thumb.

Rgconner screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 05:31 PM
Rgconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #5282
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523

Quote:
Knife Rights' Freedom's Steel III™ - Shall Not Be Infringed™ sold for a record $33,000 at the National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action Dinner and Auction held the evening April 25th in the infield of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Knife Rights Chairman Doug Ritter offered his congratulations to the talented and generous collaborators who helped make this incredible fundraiser for NRA-ILA possible:

Knifemaker: Jerry Fisk
Engraving: Shane Taylor
Guard and Pommel Steel: Barrett Firearms
Handle Wood: Historical Woods of America
Sheath: Kenny Rowe
Display Case: Brookfield Case
Photography: Terrill Hoffman

Additional details on Freedom's Steel™ and the collaborators who created it, along with additional stunning photography, can be found at: http://www.KnifeRights.org/FreedomsSteel
Beautiful knife! A little above my tax bracket though

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #5283
NERVE
Thrumming along

Oddometer: 290
Damascus Folder

Purty

NERVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #5284
Longbow
Vroooom

Oddometer: 269
There is nothing like a nice Bowie from one of the masters of the ABS. I got to know some of these guys from the days I was attending knife shows promoting my engraving. Having the opportunity to handle some of these knives was a real treat. The only way to fully appreciate one of these forged blades is to handle them. Photos never really do them justice.

If you live in or around Billings, Montana
please send me a PM.
Longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #5285
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
Shinichi Wantanabe is the knife maker, using Kamaji or Jigane iron, which is traditionally salvaged from highly weathered and repeatedly highly stressed items like bridges and ship anchors.

Shinichi prefers old ship anchors/chain because the iron has a unique texture that can sort of be seen in the photo.
Does not do it justice. Oiled with Camellia Oil it shines like a wet fish skin, with silvers, greens and even some reds from impurities

The blue paper steel is sandwiched in, producing the distinctive "hamon" line where the two metals meet.

I asked for the Togidashi sharpening. 6 grits, the last one on the family's ancestral water stone. No noticeable bevel to the blade.

I did not pay for the "best" knife, I paid for a knife made with the highest craftsmanship, and from a master craftsman from a long line of master craftsman. I can only say the blade has a soul.

I own 4 of his kitchen knives too. While not as pretty as this blade, they are supremely functional and sharp as razors.
Bio from his site:
In other words, this site has been producing knives, swords and tools dating back to the Japanse deveopment of the distinctive 2 metal hardened Japanese sword.

BTW, I do take this knife camping and fishing (it is a fish knife after all) and it is still so sharp after 2 years of use it will still scrape the ridges from your fingerprints if you run the blade over your thumb.
Linky?

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #5286
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post

Bio from his site:

Nice stuff. The iron from anchor chain, etc, is almost certainly wrought iron, not cast. And a hamon is the crystalline difference between hardened and unhardened steel, not the weld line between 2 materials... but I'm sure it's gorgeous all the same.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #5287
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,421

Chris Reeve Sebenza - I don't have one. They're a little spendy to me. Are they worth the coin? Thanks!
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #5288
Nerfin
An Adventure thats Knarly

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post

Chris Reeve Sebenza - I don't have one. They're a little spendy to me. Are they worth the coin? Thanks!
They are spendy for sure, but In my opinion worth it. I have the large 21 (pictured) and a small insingo blade with inlaid micarta. Use them quite a bit, and will never give them up. Easy to maintain and sharpen and will last a lifetime. There are knives which are just as good, for way less $ but I'm sure you will hear all sides of the story....just sayin.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #5289
NERVE
Thrumming along

Oddometer: 290
Quote:

Umnumzaan

Old 05-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #5290
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,407
I'm still smarting over losing a $130 Al Mar Ultra-Light Hawk 14 years ago.

Not that I hold a grudge or anything.

I've since become a fan of USA-made Kershaw knives. Lotsa value for the money with them.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #5291
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVE View Post
Umnumzaan
Two Chris Reeves I have:
Nyala:

Green Beret:

Also one of is discontinued knives I bought from him when he was still in Pinetown, South Africa, some 20-odd years ago. A total fan of his work!!!

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #5292
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

You guys are going to end up costing me some money - thanks!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #5293
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:

Every penny! I have an older one with BG42 steel. It is my "go-to" for a folding workhorse.

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #5294
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
You guys are going to end up costing me some money - thanks!

You're welcome!

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #5295
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

OK, so I have a really nice Benchmade. I've looked at some (to me at least) fairly expensive, almost art knife level knives. I don't want to spend North of $1000 for a knife that is so pretty/expensive/fragile/etc that it ends up on a display shelf. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's not what I'm looking for, either.

Is the Chris Reeve a good EDC? Good assisted opening? Solid lock, etc.? Point for me is, I don't mind paying more for quality, but if it's 3X more than my Benchmade I expect a whole lot more than just pretty machining.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: