Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #211
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,341
Easy: 1966(?) Sears Allstate in the 1990s. Built like a brick shithouse and about as fast. It was a sad-sack, barely-moving, rust-bucket that a son & I got free & started as a project, dreaming to make into something like the show bike shown below. It turned out to have been stolen in the early 80's, then re-titled and sold several times, so the title was impossible to get straightened out. Parts were unobtainable and expensive and even as a collector, there was virtually no value. I was delighted to dump the POS.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #212
gelandestrasse OP
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker
Easy: 1966(?) Sears Allstate in the 1990s. Built like a brick shithouse and about as fast. It was a sad-sack, barely-moving, rust-bucket that a son & I got free & started as a project, dreaming to make into something like the show bike shown below. It turned out to have been stolen in the early 80's, then re-titled and sold several times, so the title was impossible to get straightened out. Parts were unobtainable and expensive and even as a collector, there was virtually no value. I was delighted to dump the POS.
That's one hot bike.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #213
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,576
2004 KTM Adventure 950. The first year and man did it have bugs.

I think I only took maybe one or two rides where afterwards I didn't have to tear into it and fix something that broke on the ride. In fact, it blew up less than a year after I sold it.

Brakes sucked
Seat sucked
Fairing sucked
Fueling sucked
Centerstand sucked
Freeway/high speed handling sucked
Crosswind handling sucked
Nice components, but the cheap painted plastic sucked (why not color molded plastic???????)
Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #214
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray R
1958 Harley Hummer. 125cc two stroke single. It was my first bike. After every 10 or 20 miles I would have to replace the coil, rebuild the carb, replace points, or some other failing part of the day. Why I thought that bike was a good idea at the time, I'll never know. Maybe it was the $75 price tag.
Wow, exact opposite of my experience with them, and I owned two. I started riding in '61 on a '59 125cc Hummer, and later had a '61 165cc version. I put many thousands of miles on them and never had a problem with either one.

Actually, I've never had what I would consider a bad bike. I guess I'd have to call my XT350 my worst bike, but that is mainly because I just didn't much care for it. There wasn't anything actually wrong with it.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #215
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga
Anyone mention the Suzuki VX800?

No power, only 5 gears, wiggly suspension and frame, and a final drive that liked to sing to me.

Hey, I like my VX800, dammit. Sounds like you had a tired, hacked-up sample.

To be fair, it is the touchiest bastard on earth in some ways. The air filters must be OEM and their snorkels must be correctly mounted and pointing in exactly the right direction. Get any of this silly crap wrong and it runs like a microwaved turd. Get it exactly right, and there's plenty of power -- about 75 HP stock.

Swingarm bearings are a weak point, and like all UJMs the suspension must be upgraded. The FD isn't especially known for problems, but shit happens.

It is admittedly a pain in the ass to own because of its rarity. I guess you have to enjoy tracking down parts and figuring stuff out for yourself (like those goddamn airbox snorkels). But sorted out, it's a nice bike to ride.

We can definitely agree that the single disk front brake sucks donkey balls.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #216
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,259
[quote=bwringer]
1990 Suzuki VX800, Adventure-ized, Candy Luxury Maroon & Dents
quote]

An adventurized VX--POST A PIC OR THREE!

Tom in Salem
Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #217
MacMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
Get any of this silly crap wrong and it runs like a microwaved turd.
Quote of the month!
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #218
seahorse100
SLUG

Oddometer: 412
yamaha 650 special ,nice engine but she no wanna turn much or estop
Old 03-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #219
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,248
'97 F650 Shitduro

1400 miles the rear wheel bearing exploded.

4000 miles the steering head bearing seized.

6000 miles the battery BROKE.

Couldn't sell it so I traded it in to the first dealer that would take it. Luckily for me they sold Ducatis
Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #220
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,112
[QUOTE=chiefrider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer
1990 Suzuki VX800, Adventure-ized, Candy Luxury Maroon & Dents
quote]

An adventurized VX--POST A PIC OR THREE!

Tom in Salem
Oh, all right...

More:
http://pix.bwringer.com/v/bwringer/dirtyvx/
http://pix.bwringer.com/v/bwringer/todius/

The Distanzias work far better than they have a right to in the dirt and on the road.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #221
rhys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
My sexy good looking black & gold Yamaha 550 Vision. I put money into a custom exhaust using disc technology.... never could get it dialed in. Hot, this was one HOT motorcycle to ride! No where for the hot air from the engine heat to move AWAY from the rider!?!

http://www.triumphrat.net/photogalle...t/aac.jpg.html
rhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #222
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Bought a mid-60's Ducati 250 in 1974. I'd been lusting after a 450 RT, but never could find one. Rode that POS 250 home and realized the error of my ways. Sold it the next day. Went and bought a Honda CL450.
The Ducati's new owner called me two days later and begged me to buy it back. I declined.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #223
mdsn969
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,494
Mine was a Husky 390

I had saved and scrimped and bought a "77ish Husky 390. It was a rocketship between the corners but the frame was rubber and it absolutely would not turn. I did not race it for the whole season, I sold it and moved on...

"It is impossible to have an intellectual exchange of thought with someone who has renounced reason." Gorilla King
mdsn969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #224
pbagley
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 11
'73 Triumph 750 Tiger

Chiming in with a vote for Triumph. I bought this one used in 1979, only 3000 miles. Tank was freshly repainted blue metalic, and the seat was certainly _not_ Triumph with it's large tractor-like butt pan. Seemed to ride OK compared to the Can Am 175 I was riding.

The bike had a tendency to leak a little. OK, a lot. Later I began to suspect that the frame had been previously bent and possibly straightened. Some of the leak was from the automatic chain oiler. My then girlfriend helped me discover that the chain threw a little oil when we were under way - she got off the bike and had a stripe of black dots on the back left side of her jacket.

The handling was a little ... strange? It spat me off on a sweeping left when the non-folding peg hit the pavement and lifted the back wheel off the ground. I had sand-burrs everywhere, and little pieces of gravel worked their way through my skin for months. Riding gear was a T shirt, blue jeans, boots, and a helmet. They looked at me mighty strange at the grocery store as I dripped form my elbow... and mama wasn't happy when I got home with her loaf of bread.

Aver trip over 5 miles resulted in turning back to retrieve a part that fell off. After-market mufflers broke their rivets and spat out their guts multiple times.

Sold it in February 1982 here in MN and have not seen it since. The bike had some personality, and I didn't hate it. The Honda CB-550F was dead reliable, never a problem, but had no personality at all.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #225
thkfast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
2006 Kawasaki ZX-10R - I have a love/hate relationship with sport bikes. I love the look and "technological beauty" of a modern sport bike. But as a forty something year old with a growing front porch, the riding position leaves me with "monkey" everything - monkey butt, monkey back, monkey knees, monkey wrists, monkey palms and monkey neck - everything hurts. The ZX-10R was the baddest sport bike I could find in '06 and we just didn't get along. Too tiny, too light, too flimsy, too squirrely. Ended up throwing it away under power on a tight right hander when the tires were cold. Every single piece on the bike was so under-built and flimsy I finally realized, this isn't a bike I should be riding on the street. My priority now is comfort!