Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu
BMW 17 nominations
Yamaha 13
Harley 11
Honda 9
Kawasaki 7
No surprise to see BMW topping the list.
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:23 AM   #107
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
I've never owned a bike I didn't care for, but unlike most of you bike sluts, I have only owned 6 bikes in 36+ years of riding.

As is well documented here, I didn't bond with my much P.O. owner modded R1150gs, but it was a good bike, just not a good personal fit. The bike did tour superbly and made a great station wagon, which was its purpose. What it wasn't was as sophisticated as VFR800, which I consider a well balanced paragon of a bike.

Still have my airhead, am growing into my new to me MultiSrada, which is a whole different kettle of scungilli.

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #108
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,638
82 Honda v45 Sabre

worst POS ever, fast, but crap suspension, seals on monshock did not touch anything, so it had to be greased every few thousand miles, turn signals fell off, vapor lock on hot restarts, alternator harness burned up, self canceling turn signals went crazy, rattled worse than a BMW, camshafts pitted, frequent valve adjust, and it was a PIA

Now I own a beemer, and it is way better, plus I can trust the suspension.
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #109
buck12ga
Buck

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsdbikes
took me awhile to think of it as I read through all the posts, well, a few pages anyway.
There have been so many and I can find nits with most if you try. I narrowed it down to 2.
Second worst is honda CB 900 Custom, got it cheap as an interim ride, it was ugly, had a big vetter fairing and had no power to speak of. top end of about 70 mph.
Worst would be my old Maico 490, 85ish I think. I should have walked away when the guy showed up riding the bike. Kickstarter needed tightening They had bump started it down the street. I finally had to weld the damn kickstarter to the shaft cause it was so chewed up. No big deal I thought. just replace the parts next time a rebuild is needed. First time on on a track to play after a few laps and a couple of minor falls i lowside it and snap the shifter off. I should say the Shift Shaft snapped off.
POS.
traded it the next week for a little CB1.
My God! A Honda CB900 Custom should at least run 120 mph. That thing was seriously screwed up in the engine somehow. Did it run smooth?
buck12ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #110
Brad Felmey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck12ga
My God! A Honda CB900 Custom should at least run 120 mph. That thing was seriously screwed up in the engine somehow.
+1

I don't believe I've ever seen a complaint before about not enough power in a CB900C. Flat-out at 75mph means it was running on about 2 cylinders or so.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #111
buck12ga
Buck

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey
+1

I don't believe I've ever seen a complaint before about not enough power in a CB900C. Flat-out at 75mph means it was running on about 2 cylinders or so.
Yup. I believe the engine originated with the CB900F.
buck12ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #112
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,257
Dnepr MT10

A good friend of mine, Ken, retired and fairly well-to-do, had in his fleet a Dnepr MT-10, with a sidecar, with low kilometers, gathering dust in the corner of his shop. It intrigued me, but (with hindsight, a real good friend) wasn't really interested in selling it to me. But eventually I prevailed, and I bought the bike for a VERY reasonable price, along with a crate of spares. He had gotten the bike and the spares from a dealership in Canada that was folding.

This bike was not my only ride, but for many years it was great fun putting around with my small children in the chair. They were the envy of the neighborhood. During this time, I actually put very few miles on it. It was an interesting looking outfit, and it even drew more curiosity seekers than my old Indian.

Another positive: Ownership of this outfit had me getting acquainted with and becoming friends with Vernon, AKA RedMenace, a knowledgeable fellow who undoubtedly has forgotten more about sidecars than I ever knew. Through his friendship and advice, I was able to get through much of the frustrations I was to encounter.

The Dnepr never ran really well. It was always hard to start. It vibrated at all speeds. It had sluggish acceleration and a top speed of less than 100 KPH (60 mph). It got less than 30 mpg. My old Chief had FAR better brakes.

The the left side head's intake port had misaligned carb mountings, making it impossible to balance the carbs. The spokes, almost as thick as pencils, broke regularly, being made of cheezy metal. Speaking of cheezy metal, the left intake valve guide wore it's bore into an egg-shape, making necessary to turn one out of brass, as I had none in my diminishing parts stash. Something was constantly wrong with it, and I had difficulty keeping up.

My kids were approaching their teens and had lost interest in riding the chair.

Eventually I sold it to a friend of mine, Ed, who's a ship's engineer, and knew the issues I had been having. I think he saw it as some kind of challenge.

When I told Ken I sold the Dnepr to our mutual friend, Ed, he looked at me seriously and asked, "What did Ed ever do to you?"

Tom in Salem
Old 12-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #113
baxter444
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Triumph 955i (2001). Incredibly top heavy, brakes so bad they were frightning.
baxter444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #114
Dozer1
i ride your bike

Oddometer: 298
1979 Yamaha XS650. Valves go out of adjustment like it's their job, carbs leaked gas, spit fire out of the exhaust(ok, kinda cool but really not) wouldn't start wouldn't run for more than a few miles at a time and was just generally a huge piece of shit. Sold it for what I paid for it, got a Honda CX500 and fell in love.
Dozer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #115
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,898
2006 Klr 650.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #116
zokalr13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
ditto dozer and garandman -XS650 and KLR650 where my worst bikes ..ive owned lots of bikes and most where great ..those two bummed me out and left me stranded [mostly the XS650]
zokalr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:17 AM   #117
extanker
DAT.....

Oddometer: 26
Pissed

"1982 KDX 450".......bought it new...had it 20 min. defective throttle ... WFO over a table topper......not pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After fixing the thing I sold it ASAP....
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:57 AM   #118
dfishman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
2000 Road-King ...only because it was the most boring bike EVER!
I loved the rest.
My best bike has been my '06 Buell Uly.It does it all with giant fun facter.
Partial list:
'76 Suzuki GT550 quick/no brakes
'79 HD Sportster suprisingly reliable
'00 HD Road King BORING
'70 Triumph chopper "required gallons of red loctite" traded for new hot tub
'72 BMW 60/5 Smooth
'78 Kawasaki KZ400 Chopper " My homade tire burner"$1000 in it.Lots of fun
'99 Buell X1 FUN,FUN
'02 SPS hardtail Nice custom
'90 HD sportster hardtail ...I built it,enjoyed it,traded for my Sumo
'06 XB12X Best all around
'02 XR650R Honda Super Moto Trouble waiting to happen
dfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #119
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,003
Anyone mention the Suzuki VX800?

No power, only 5 gears, wiggly suspension and frame, and a final drive that liked to sing to me.

Another was a Katana 750. Man, that thing roasted my nuts with the heat it put off. Handled like a pig, too.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #120
wsdbikes
New Max is Mad

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu
BMW 17 nominations
Yamaha 13
Harley 11
Honda 9
Kawasaki 7
Maico 2 (at least)
fixd

"I only wish I had video running when WSD did a no footed can-can over some boulders on mainline....two feet of air easy..." -Abdelhub
Yeah, on the GS http://vimeo.com/3232838

Notable Past-'01 KLR 250, 95 R1100GS, 06 KTM 950 SM, 69 Bridgestone 90
wsdbikes is offline   Reply With Quote