Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #46
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
Hey Gimmie, wrangler has the rubber ST pegs, I swapped for the R80 G/S pegs. couldn't imagine going off road without them. don't know how people stand on their rubber pegs.
Fastway's are about twice as wide as the G/S pegs, and maybe 3/4 of an inch lower.... love 'em myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #47
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Fastway's are about twice as wide as the G/S pegs, and maybe 3/4 of an inch lower.... love 'em myself!
Yep. I've got Roc Stompers. No complaints so far other than that I wish they were a little bit lower perhaps?

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:11 PM   #48
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
Nice job........what year R80 did you start with and how much do you think should be budgeted (excluding R80) for such a project? Yes I am a thrifty shopped

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:27 AM   #49
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny
Nice job........what year R80 did you start with and how much do you think should be budgeted (excluding R80) for such a project? Yes I am a thrifty shopped
I'm really curious what folks would answer to your question. I think it can be pretty scary. My G/S is not near being "trick" and yet I dread to think of how much money has gone (will go) into it. First, spares are terribly expensive. I've been pretty lucky with used parts, ebray, etc. but still. Second, any of the PD stuff, bags, etc. is terribly expensive. Third, any upgrades like alternator, lighting, better suspension, etc. is terribly expensive. Did I say it's terribly expensive?

Do the math: just to get a PD tank, solo saddle, and say an Ohlins rear, would set you back $2-3k if new.

The good news is that unless you're hardcore dirt oriented, the mostly stock G/S is a great bike. And most repairs can be done by the shade-tree mechanic (with a little ADV help ). And of course, if you take your time and with a little luck, you can score some good upgrades at reasonable prices.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #50
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny
This thing was a 1984 R80ST when this all began. Adding up all the major items I've sunk about $4700 into this thing, but I'm pretty much done as far as spending is concerned. The only reason I went as far as I have is that I got the bike itself for free, so at least I haven't pushed this project too far into the red. Then again this price doesn't include all the small stuff like fasteners, electrical connectors, cans of carb cleaner, tubes of loctite, etc and those can add up too.

Was it worth it? Yes, I think so. I know right now that I'm going to be keeping this bike for quite some time. In fact, I may very well ride this thing until it just can't be fixed anymore. If this were like any of the other 10 bikes I've had, I wouldn't put nearly so much work into it. Projects like this aren't a calculated rational act based on sound logic. They certainly aren't profitable. Realize up front that you're not making the bike more valuable. You won't get any more money out of it when you sell it, but consider what else you will get out of it before you sell it. Consider the good times, the knowledge gained and the places it takes you, and you may consider it cost effective. I know that what I've gotten out of this bike so far has been worth every penny I've put into this thing.

If you want thrifty then look elsewhere. You'll pay a premium for making major upgrades to R bikes, especially those of the dual sport variety. You really have to like these things to justify the expenses to yourself. The trouble is that these bikes are pretty tough not to like. As far as regular maintenance is concerned though, these bikes are pretty cheap to keep running.

Thifty, huh? They make these bikes called KLR650s...

EDIT: some typos. woops

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-23-2009 at 07:38 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #51
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,177
"If you want thrifty then look elsewhere. You'll pay a premium for making major upgrades to R bikes, especially those of the dual sport variety. You really have to like these things to justify the expenses to yourself. The trouble is that these bikes are pretty tough not to like. As far as regualar maintenance is concerned though, these bikes are pretty cheap as far as regular maintenance is concerned."

Amen brother.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #52
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,328
well said! I'm not afraid of commitment and I've cast my lot with this bike. Loss of resale is not a concern to me. Whenever I would normally use the 'spend' I now say 'invest'. It makes it all better!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #53
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
"If you want thrifty then look elsewhere.
Ya I'm with you.... he was in a good position with the free R80 ST. Nothing really thrifty about becoming a R80 GS owner weather you build or buy I suppose, unless you get a real lucky break.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #54
lockyv7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
I am doing a little changing of a R80 Mono, it wont end up a GS but more a back road blaster, Locky.
and yes they can end up just being a money pit.

lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #55
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
OK, OK. I just picked up a pair of fastways on my lunch break. They'll be going on tonight. The only thing I hate about my job is the dangerous proximity to the touratech USA headquarters. It's way too easy to shoot over there on lunch break.

As for the preload on the rear shock, yeah it's cranked down pretty hard. The guy that built it for me insists he gave me the right spring rate based on my bike and weight, despite my telling him that the static sag with me on it was MOST of the travel. I might need to send it back sometime soon to get it resprung.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #56
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Before:

After:

The fastways are on and now I'm not sure how I ever spent so many a rainy day on this bike without slipping off. These fastways sure are grippy. You definitely have to LIFT your feet off the pegs when coming to a stop. No more casually sliding your foot off at the stop light. Nice suggestion SL, Gimmie and GRRRRL. Still no big boxes from Germany. When it does arrive though (maybe tomorrow?), is there anyone ...ahem... anyone in the SEATTLE AREA that could lend me a steering head bearing puller - maybe a certain one made by Ed Korn?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #57
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Before:

After:

The fastways are on and now I'm not sure how I ever spent so many a rainy day on this bike without slipping off. These fastways sure are grippy. You definitely have to LIFT your feet off the pegs when coming to a stop. No more casually sliding your foot off at the stop light. Nice suggestion SL, Gimmie and GRRRRL. Still no big boxes from Germany. When it does arrive though (maybe tomorrow?), is there anyone ...ahem... anyone in the SEATTLE AREA that could lend me a steering head bearing puller - maybe a certain one made by Ed Korn?
Yeahhhh....thats what i'm talkin' 'bout!!!! Sorry, got a friend with a '08 KLR stock rubber pegs. If I have to listen to him one more time when he slips and nails his junk on his tank I'm going to buy him a pair myself. done
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #58
ricard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockyv7
I am doing a little changing of a R80 Mono, it wont end up a GS but more a back road blaster, Locky.

What a beaut! Can you tell me about those tires? Who makes them and is that an 18" or 19" front? Thanks
ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #59
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
I'd say Mitas E08 on a 19" front.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #60
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
, is there anyone ...ahem... anyone in the SEATTLE AREA that could lend me a steering head bearing puller - maybe a certain one made by Ed Korn?
Anytime my friend, anytime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote