ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #106
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
Anyone still riding? I seem to be the only bike on the road the last few days. 19 this morning on my 35 mile trip into the shipyard. Thank God for Gerbings!!
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #107
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN OF BLUES
thought I'd share this with Y'all in chatter also....
http://www.woot.com/

JUST ORDERED MINE!!!!

BUY 3 (max allowable order), KINGSTON 8GB SDHC CARD/CHIP...
3 OF THEM DELIVERED FOR $ 37.97 ($10.99 EACH X3 + $5 SHIPPING)

ANOTHER GREAT WOOT FOR THE digiCAM/ASUS tagging COMPUTER CROWD!!!!
Sweet deal, if it was a micro SD I'd snap one up.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #108
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger123
Thank God for Gerbings!!
Any opinions on where to buy from? and Vest ? Jacket? I am definately thinking I need this in my life if I want to keep riding everyday.

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #109
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8
Any opinions on where to buy from? and Vest ? Jacket? I am definately thinking I need this in my life if I want to keep riding everyday.
I have the full jacket liner and original style gloves (I had the newer G3's but didn't like them, too tight).

You will not find Gerbings discounted anywhere so the price is what it is.

Check out Adventure BMW here in Greenbrier or make a day of it and head up to Morton's BMW in Fredricksburg. They have a very good selection and will show you what a motorcycle dealership should look like.

Warm and Safe makes nice stuff as well (also sold under the First Gear name).

I have the single outlet permanent mounted controller but am thinking of getting a double to be able to control the jacket and gloves seperately (and the heated insoles that I'll be getting as soon as they're back in stock).

This stuff is worth it's weight in GOLD. Riding to that yard yesterday in 19F temps I was perfectly warm except for my chin and feet. You can crank it up enough to sweat in those temps.

I run heated grips also as the gloves are only heated on the back side and your palms WILL get cold.

BTW, you want the liner to fit snug or you will lose most of the heat, it HAS to be close to your body.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #110
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Quote:
I have the full jacket liner and original style gloves (I had the newer G3's but didn't like them, too tight).

You will not find Gerbings discounted anywhere so the price is what it is.

Check out Adventure BMW here in Greenbrier or make a day of it and head up to Morton's BMW in Fredricksburg. They have a very good selection and will show you what a motorcycle dealership should look like.

Warm and Safe makes nice stuff as well (also sold under the First Gear name).

I have the single outlet permanent mounted controller but am thinking of getting a double to be able to control the jacket and gloves seperately (and the heated insoles that I'll be getting as soon as they're back in stock).

This stuff is worth it's weight in GOLD. Riding to that yard yesterday in 19F temps I was perfectly warm except for my chin and feet. You can crank it up enough to sweat in those temps.

I run heated grips also as the gloves are only heated on the back side and your palms WILL get cold.

BTW, you want the liner to fit snug or you will lose most of the heat, it HAS to be close to your body.
Thanks Roger. I am going over to Cyclegear to check out their First gear selection. I may swing through Adventure too. With all this gear, you need to buy the controller seperate?

I think it is a must right now, if I went out today riding I would have to be bundled like the michelin man...."I can't put my arms down!!" kinda thing. I was kinda proud to defy heated gear for awhile and just tough it out, I think I would possibly die if I rode without it on a day like today or at least have some frost bitten fingers or worse.....

cRAzY
Old 01-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #111
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
I have been quite the wuss the last three days - I haven't even started the bike! In my defense, though, I have had to look half-way presentable for some meetings; you know, no helmet head, slacks, pressed shirt, polished dress shoes, etc. So, all in all, it was just easier to drive to work.

Having said that, I, too, have been looking at heated gear, particularly heated gloves - after our New Year's Day ride, my fingers hurt. My daily commute to NOB would be OK without heated gear, but if I wanted to ride for a bit longer distance, like roger's drive up to NGNN, it would be a necessity. The trouble with heated gear I have is the KLR - the alternator is at the low end of the "wimpy-class" (238 W @ 7000 RPM). I am looking hard at a new stator that puts out 280 watts, but I am not yet convinced of the quality of the product - output at low RPMs is of major concern. I guess a digital voltmeter, LED taillight, and heatroller are all part of the package if I go that way.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #112
MAN OF BLUES
COG #5977 EX-TECH EDITOR

Oddometer: 2,811
Morton's

my wife bought all my Gerbing stuff there, no apreciable difference in prices, and they have all the farkles (heat troller, storage bag, harnesses etc.) besides, you really need to try it on, correct size is imperitive, wife erred on the larger size, and I went back and swapped it for one size smaller. Putting on a tee shirt over it will pull it closer to your skin, and make it 10x more effective, and wearing a fleece over it helps also. seldom do I need those, and can run with a sweatshirt, gerbing, and stich combo into the mid 20's... fingers are another story... but I am thinking of gerbing gloves now....just hate the thought of the hookup p.i.t.a.
Ask Guy Young about KLR/Gerbing combo... he rides every day (12 miles...) and has had some minor issues, but I believe putting a switch inline with the headlight would cure those....along with doing led's for running/signal lights.

Roger:
the 2gb micro's were up there a month ago, I posted about them then, but caught hades for doing so....they ought to be bringing more Micro's out in a month. I'll send you a note when they do!
MAN OF BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #113
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
I will say this--I could not safely handle anything more than 10 miles with out some sort of heat for my fingers. I wore very heavy winter gloves for my tag rides the past couple days, and once I got the photo and returned home, I could barely squeeze the brake and clutch levers. I didn't have any issues with the cold other than my hands and fingers, but I was layered pretty good.
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #114
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The heated stuff ain't cheap, $200 for the jacket, $80 for the controller and $140 for the gloves. But I won't leave home without them. I can ride COMFORTABLY down into the teens. My chin and feet get cold but I'll soon be getting the Gerbing insoles when the come back into stock.

Watts can be an issue. With the Strom I have a headlight cutout switch to kill one headlight if needed.

It just really makes things so much more pleasant to be warm.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #115
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Quote:
The heated stuff ain't cheap, $200 for the jacket, $80 for the controller and $140 for the gloves. But I won't leave home without them. I can ride COMFORTABLY down into the teens. My chin and feet get cold but I'll soon be getting the Gerbing insoles when the come back into stock.

Watts can be an issue. With the Strom I have a headlight cutout switch to kill one headlight if needed.

It just really makes things so much more pleasant to be warm.
Roger, Any upgrading of the electrical system on the Wee for the jacket and gloves? I think the jacket is 90 watts, not too sure about the gloves.

cRAzY
Old 01-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #116
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8
Roger, Any upgrading of the electrical system on the Wee for the jacket and gloves? I think the jacket is 90 watts, not too sure about the gloves.
Nope, it'll handle the load. I put in a voltmeter and a headlight cutout switch just to safe. You'll NEVER have the stuff fully turned up (I can't stand it past 1/2 in 19F temps).

Now with Mrs. UpST8 and you having heated gear you would definetly have to watch things MUCH closer.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #117
underkill
Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer: 1,709
I finally got heated gloves to go with my heated jacket now that I have a bike that will power both... LOVE them! Granted, I get cold easily, but they freaking rock! I'd definatly not get the permanent bike mounted one though... the portable controller is a cleaner install (just one little wire hanging down in a hidden location), and jason and i had 3 failures somehow with Gerbing's permanent mount heattroller...

now I want the heated pants and heated socks! this heated gear thing rocks!

...holy crap that rhymed..

sorry, i'm bored at work..
underkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #118
roger123 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Those failures with yours is just weird. I know tons of people (including myself) who have used these things for years with no issues.

I think they discontinued the socks, they now have heated insoles which they are out of stock on in every size 'cept super small.

Anybody ride today? I knew better but they scared me into taking the truck. I didn't want to get stranded at the shipyard!!!

Since Sep 28th I've only taken the truck to work twice. Had a flat rear tire once and now due to the impending snow storm.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #119
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,499
If anybody doesn't want to hook-up heated gear to their bike or it won't handle the load, try this site.

http://blazewear.com/

I bought the vest, works well, might get the gloves too. And you can take it with you wherever you go, bike to bike or hiking. The settings go 1-5, I use either 1-2 and it gets hot!
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #120
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,073
townhouse for rent

Hey guys, my tenant is moving out of my rental townhouse at the end of February. Looking for a new tenant.

Not good for ADV types cause there is no garage. If you know someone looking for a 2 bedroom townhouse in the Great neck area let me know. I'd prefer military.

2 master bedrooms, 1.5 baths, excellent schools, next to a city owned canoe/kayak launch into the Lynnhaven river.

Looking at $850 a month.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote