ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #14521
APJ757
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Enjoyed meeting you guys. & the dam neck trail was pretty good too. The leaves made it a little slick for my greased pig But I needed the work out :)
Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #14522
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddzacker View Post
Hey on the stalling...just make sure you run 2-3 full tanks of Shell Premium thru the tank. It works great with little expense to clean the carbs & fuel system. I personally would run that plus some 44K from BP Products thru it. That stuff is expensive but worth every penny and you don't need much, so you can put some in a car to clean it out.

Just remember when you run anything thru that cleans the injectors and or carbs, it will loosen up stuff every where else. This might cause cause some hesitation at acceleration. This is why I push more towards 3 full tanks. This will push everything thru and clean it well.

I also recommend running the Shell Premium every chance you get. I read a fuel comparison in Roundel Magazine a while back, showed the results of running different fuels and which worked best in the US...

Hope this helps and is not to late in the frustration category.
Thanks for the advice.

I'm already noticing it seems to run a little better, now that I'm on my 2nd tank of fuel. I've been running 87 octane, as that's what was called for in the manual. One of the techs at work had suggested Shell Premium for a tank or two, as well as a fuel system cleaner. He also was with me in thinking I just need to get a full service done as well... plugs, filters, fluids, etc. Certainly can't hurt things, and in reality, it's not going to break the bank.

I'm on track with packing today, so I might go out for a short spin, just because I can. Really like this bike and it's maneuverability and practicallity. I got 56 MPG on my last tank, but I know I can probably do better once I install some new plugs and keep my right hand in check.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #14523
DAAANG
LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ757 View Post
Enjoyed meeting you guys. & the dam neck trail was pretty good too. The leaves made it a little slick for my greased pig But I needed the work out :)
Great meeting you too. You handled that pig pretty well out there.
*Warning:Riding with me may result in you starring in your own crash video.
Sales and Marketing Manager at Cycle World V.B.
DAAANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #14524
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I'm already noticing it seems to run a little better, now that I'm on my 2nd tank of fuel. I've been running 87 octane, as that's what was called for in the manual. One of the techs at work had suggested Shell Premium for a tank or two, as well as a fuel system cleaner. He also was with me in thinking I just need to get a full service done as well... plugs, filters, fluids, etc. Certainly can't hurt things, and in reality, it's not going to break the bank.

I'm on track with packing today, so I might go out for a short spin, just because I can. Really like this bike and it's maneuverability and practicallity. I got 56 MPG on my last tank, but I know I can probably do better once I install some new plugs and keep my right hand in check.
The right hand might be tougher to tame. How many miles are on the bike & how long since the last services?

Plugs always are a good idea and if the mileage is right to switch to synthetic oil, that is helpful also(easier & cleaner shifting). An air filter or just clean it will help the mileage slightly, but running the Shell Premium increases my 1200 GS by 5 mpg and cleans...no reason if no other than piece of mind to me.

You would think I work for Shell...I wish I'd probably make better bank. Seriously anytime any vehicle bike or car in my arsenal has hesitation or thought to be air or fuel issues. I always run a couple tanks of V-power Shell thru it before I start to change things. I run 75k+/year on bike & car so I have to use a lot of questionable gas along the way. And with the water table so high in the tidewater area it is good to get out to higher ground & run good fuel when you can. Save a lot of $$$ in the long run.
toddzacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #14525
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Quote:
The right hand might be tougher to tame. How many miles are on the bike & how long since the last services?

Plugs always are a good idea and if the mileage is right to switch to synthetic oil, that is helpful also(easier & cleaner shifting). An air filter or just clean it will help the mileage slightly, but running the Shell Premium increases my 1200 GS by 5 mpg and cleans...no reason if no other than piece of mind to me.

You would think I work for Shell...I wish I'd probably make better bank. Seriously anytime any vehicle bike or car in my arsenal has hesitation or thought to be air or fuel issues. I always run a couple tanks of V-power Shell thru it before I start to change things. I run 75k+/year on bike & car so I have to use a lot of questionable gas along the way. And with the water table so high in the tidewater area it is good to get out to higher ground & run good fuel when you can. Save a lot of $$$ in the long run.
Bike has 20,500 and counting. I have service records up to 12,000 miles from where the previous owner bought the bike in CO. Granted, there's a gap of 8,000 miles there, but at least I know that someone was watching out for the bike, and it wasn't just ridden and completely abused for 20,000 miles.

I'll be switching to full synthetic Mobil 1 upon my first oil change. It's worked well for the 30,000 miles I've put on the Duc, so I see no reason it won't work just as well in the Beemer. :)

Most of the fuel for the Duc has been purchased in this area. The only other places would be Deal's Gap, a trip or two to NY, and my annual BRP ride. So far, I've had no issues that could have been caused by bad fuel. I figure if anything was to happen, it would have done so by 30,000 miles over the past few years. I tend to chuckle to myself when customers come in and claim that ethanol in the fuel has "destroyed" their bike in less than 5,000 miles.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #14526
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Ethanol harms small engine like mowers, weedwackers, etc... But not so much motorcycles & such. I'm just partial to Shell v-power cause it has always kept me from having problems, and when I did have problems it would fix it in most cases. A good full synthetic is all you can do oil wise.

Good luck with it, it sounds like you have most of it worked out.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #14527
APJ757
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAAANG View Post
Great meeting you too. You handled that pig pretty well out there.
Yeah I think I'm inspired to pick up a small street legal dirt bike , maybe even another beater KLR and take it 90/10 dirt vs 90/10 street

, I did go check out that 2008 YZ250f listed on Craig's list for $1800,, um yeah after 20 minutes of watching a guy try to get it running we had to give it the old thanks but no thanks.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM   #14528
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Did manage to go out for a bit this afternoon. Ended up at Ft. Monroe, so I snapped a shot.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
Old 11-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #14529
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,176
I'm diggin' the color
Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #14530
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ757 View Post
Was great to meet you. Don't worry, no bike was safe from the leaves.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #14531
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs View Post
I'm diggin' the color
It's growing on me. It has a few scratches and marks, but honestly, I don't really care. Adds character.

Thinking of having my friend Emily paint a Dakar symbol on the tank plastics, as she has her own pinstriping & painting business.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
Old 11-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #14532
toddzacker
NO FILTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post
Did manage to go out for a bit this afternoon. Ended up at Ft. Monroe, so I snapped a shot.

What model year is that?
Old 11-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #14533
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Quote:
What model year is that?
It's a 2003.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
Old 11-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #14534
toddzacker
NO FILTER

My girlfriend wants to step up into one from her KLR...just can't afford it unless you know something we don't about getting a used or salvaged one for cheap?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #14535
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Quote:
My girlfriend wants to step up into one from her KLR...just can't afford it unless you know something we don't about getting a used or salvaged one for cheap?
I've been looking for a while for a dual-sport motorbike. Most people on here know that. Unfortunately, I wanted to buy it outright, and it seems the $4,000 I needed for a decent bike in good working order was always just out of reach.

Fortunately for me, I work at a dealership, so I get to see a lot of different bikes, and figure out what I like and what I don't like. For some reason, the BMW had never been considered. I was always looking KLR/DR/XR. So when this machine came into our shop on trade, my interest was piqued, and I immediately inquired to our resident BMW tech to see what I might get myself into.

The 2003 Dakar has the "best" of everything you would want in the 650 series, so I've been told. Single cylinder, fuel injected, liquid cooled, dual spark. It also has ABS, a 21" front tire, and a bit more suspention travel than the base model GS. The engines are low maintenance, run on regular fuel, and don't require much servicing outside of a regular oil change.

I was able to get a hell of a deal on my bike. For it, the new parts it needed (tires, oil change, etc.), tax, title, tag, and a little profit for the shop, it cost me just under $2k. Taking into account how long I'd been looking for a dual-sport, what I estimated I needed for what I wanted, and the fact that I probably wouldn't get an opportunity like this again, I jumped on it.

I guess what I'm saying is you just have to be patient and keep your eye out for deals. But so far it seems to be a really good motorbike.

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar