Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #31
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Oddometer: 3,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseKiller
Greetings Ara & Spirit!

After following your stories for a while, I take serious creedence to your testimonial. I was originally giving thought to buying a Ural. The 2wd is a big plus, but the lack of power is a big minus (for me). So I started tossing around the idea of hacking my 1100 after seeing yours... I doubt mine will be quite as heavily loaded, but having a spot for the (future) dog as well as extending the riding season up here in AK, I can see no real drawbacks to bolting a tub to my GS. And then having the rear wheel mod, well, that'd the the icing on the cake!

Ride safe you two!
I know exactly what you are saying. I do not want to offend any Ural riders, so often I wish I had one... but... keeping a comfortable cruising speed of 70mph, the power as you said and the reliabilty having 197,000 miles and my first clutch just a month ago / U-joint at 150,000, what else can I say. I cannot say either that this tire/wheel can replace the two wheel drive. I just don't know. I would like to think so specially after today. I am going to try a snow tire next... David???
This has been the BEST add on to the rig... And by the way, we can talk about the suspension on the GS some time also if you need to... Real important... we went around and around quite a bit in the beginning...
Be well...
Ara & Spirit

BeemerChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #32
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,338
I doubt the tire will 'replace' two wheel drive, but for 95% of the situations I've ever been in I haven't needed it. I bet with a snow tire it would be 98%.

What I can say is that after ten years of Ural ownership and nine months of having a hacked GS I'm finally coming to terms with letting go of my Ural. It hasn't left the garage since the GS got hacked.

The money will be well-spent on making the GS outfit the perfect rig for me.
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #33
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Wow..just stumpled onto this.

Have a Dauntless rig(w/1200GS rear hub + brake) on order for my 2005 1200 GS and did hear plenty of how regular pusher bike tires are being eaten up like candy.

Can't wait for genius Stroker to take a hard look at a model for the 1200GS as well...pleeezzzz
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #34
Stroker
motorcycle traveler

Oddometer: 152
A point of interest: While ordering a 165R15 Nanking Mud and Snow tire from the Nebraska Farmers Coop today I asked why it is that they carry a somewhat uncommon car tire that usually goes on VW beetles and old Saabs. I was told that these radial car tires hold up much better than the 6.00x15 agriculture tires commonly used on harvesting equiptment. The farmers have found that because of the steel belted radial construction of these auto tires they are much more puncture resistant and last longer than the tire they have been using previously. These farm supply stores may prove to be a good source for these type of tire if your local auto tire dealer is reluctant to help you with this size tire.
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #35
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
Follow-up requested

Hey Yellow,
Was just wondering how the tire that Stroker provided with the wheel conversion worked for you this winter?

How was the grip in snow, ice, etc.???
Tread wear?

2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #36
yellow OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWzenrider
Hey Yellow,
Was just wondering how the tire that Stroker provided with the wheel conversion worked for you this winter?

How was the grip in snow, ice, etc.???
Tread wear?

Wear has not been noticeable and the tire was excellent! I could not be happier with the wheel and the Service was Exceptional.
'80 Suzuki GS550E / 70's Spirit Eagle Sidecar
BMWMOA - 124346
ABC - 9079
yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #37
twintwin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Very very satisfied, but I have anderstood that there many different 165/80 car tire available on the market for the 15" rim, my tire (NANKANG) is for now perfect for my style of riding, but when the need will come I can try another one, around $80, the switch should not be painful.

twintwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 AM   #38
eastbloc
comprador bourgeois

Oddometer: 1,338
Stroke 'em if you got 'em!

The handling is GREAT. I go around right-handers like a tetherball now, and no more worries about wearing the tire down

Potential downsides? The new wheel weighs twice as much, so if there's any drivetrain issues in my future they may be exacerbated. I did lose my output splines at around 20k (when she was still solo) so I'm a little wary, but even if and when they go it'll still have been worth it!
eastbloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #39
BMWzenrider
The Road Scholar

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow
Wear has not been noticeable and the tire was excellent!
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I was actually a little disappointed with the tread life I got out of the Bridgestone Blizzak I fitted for the winter on the R1200RT/Hannigan rig.

Only 3,500 miles and I am basically down to the 50% wearbars (snow/ice traction markers).

This is supposed to be a dual-compound tire, with a softer compound on the outer layer for winter snow & ice grip, but I expected better than that...
I do think that I had it a little over inflated, looking at the greater wear in the center of the tread, but with the softer sidewall it felt a little less secure cornering with less air in it.

And I think that it being so wide was not as good for deeper snow traction.
It is a 175/65-15. Only size I could find in a true winter snow & ice tire locally that would fit last fall. Now with the Smart Car being sold here, I am hoping that the 145/15 sizes will become more available.

Once the Blizzak wears out, I have the remainder of a Kumoh 728 in 165/80-15 to use up. That one seems to have worn pretty well, but didn't know how it would do in the winter.

I actually was using the Kumoh and car wheel on the bike as a solo (2-wheeler) before I did the sidecar on it. It handled pretty well that way. I was suprised!

2002 BMW R1150RA
In Memoriam: Harley, 1993-2010 You will be missed.
BMWzenrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #40
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Get Stroked - Fotos of the Ultimate Wheel for Hacks

I just received my 2nd "Stroker" wheel for UberHack 3.0 (aka "WarBird"). I previously ordered one for the tug, and after seeing it, ordered another for the tub. The rig is still being finished up at Dauntless Motors, so I don't have pics yet of both wheels mounted, but for those with enquiring minds, here are some detailed pics of the wheel and tire I received.

First, Stroker (aka David H.) has been a real pleasure to work with. The product is first rate, and he's made minor improvements in each batch he builds. I opted for the sliver powder coat finish, which is pretty close to the color of the other silver bits on the R1150GS rig the wheels are being fitted to.

Here's the "outside" of the wheel and Semperit Mud & Snow rated tire:

I have a shipping scale and can tell you that this assembly (wheel, adapter, disc rotor, tire and inner tube) weighs in at 46.5 lbs. I don't have a stock BMW Cross Spoke wheel and tire at the moment, so I don't know the weight difference, but "muscle memory" tells me Stroker's wheel definately weighs more. I'll post a new reply with the exact weights of both when I pick-up the stock "take off" wheels from Dauntless:

Here is a close-up of the adapter hub. David includes a set of longer mounting bolts that are used with the stock conical "washers":

Here's the inside of the wheel (and, yes, the whitewall stripe). For those interested, the distance/offset from the inside mounting face of the adapter (which mates to the mounting hub on the final drive) is about 0.95" (that's decimal inches, not millimeters):

Here's an angle view:

. . . and a close-up of the wave disc rotor:

I couldn't get an exact measurement, but I can tell you that the shoulder-to-shoulder width of this tire (at its widest point) is about 0.30") NARROWER than a standard Tourance tire. The profile and cross section simply has a wider contact patch, which is where the extended life comes from (vs. a stock Tourance or other motorcycle cross section with much more rounded shoulders):

As noted, I'll post more fotos of these wheels and tires installed on the rig once I take delivery, which should be within the week. I'll post those to the thread I already have running in the forum, which you can view at the link below:

UberHack 3.0 (“WarBird” GS) Build Update - Twin Shocks, Stroker Wheel, More . . . .

Best,
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien

mikepa screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 07:17 PM
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #41
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

I got about 20,000K on this wheel and only good things to say about it... Don't expect the snow and mud to last too long though. Regular tires last about 7K+/-. But look at the price and the ease to change it! As David says... two butter knives...
There is an intersting fact however, on dirt now.
I thought that the M&S tire would grip better... it does NOT! I love to slide in the curves and it does much more than a non M&S. The M&S is only good for... M&S!!! In even deep sand conditions the regular radial got me out better than the M&S. I will be trashing the knobbies off very quickly... they are already missing much pieces of rubber... Will take a photo or two when I came back from Potash/Shaeffer/Long Canyon here in Moab, Utah. I am going to try a more expensive tire next... maybe I can get 10K out if it?
Great job David... Life saver!!!
Be well... Ara & Spirit

Old 05-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #42
Stroker
motorcycle traveler

Oddometer: 152
Best tie option

Ara, I assume that you are saying that the Nankang tire that you had on your wheel when you first got it, has worked out the best as far as traction and ride quality. I haven't tried out one of those "new old stock" tires yet, but I reckon they don't have as much "flotation" properties as the stiffer tires. I,m still running a Nankang on my rig and really like it. PLENTY of traction and quiet running on pavement. Good service to all you "Advantage Wheel" guys, and thanks for the input. Yours in sport, and best regards, Stroker
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #43
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker
Ara, I assume that you are saying that the Nankang tire that you had on your wheel when you first got it, has worked out the best as far as traction and ride quality. I haven't tried out one of those "new old stock" tires yet, but I reckon they don't have as much "flotation" properties as the stiffer tires. I,m still running a Nankang on my rig and really like it. PLENTY of traction and quiet running on pavement. Good service to all you "Advantage Wheel" guys, and thanks for the input. Yours in sport, and best regards, Stroker
Yes, that was the best one. Lasted about 7K, amzingly got me out of some tight spot never quite understanding why?!!!
I will let you know how long this M&S lasts... You see, it's surface to the ground because of the knobbies is only 50% of the previous tires and on the hack it is not really a good thing! Will see how it handles this steep trail we are doing I think tomorrow...
Thanks David...
Old 05-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #44
mikepa
SideCzarist

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseKiller
I was originally giving thought to buying a Ural. The 2wd is a big plus, but the lack of power is a big minus (for me). So I started tossing around the idea of hacking my 1100 ...
I have a soft spot in my heart for the Ural Gear-Ups - I've owned and driven three different model years, and have two more (that's a total of five if anyone is keeping track) on consignment at a dealer in OR. The 2WD and reverse are way cool for a hack, but they're simply underpowered for long haul travel. And, thought their reliability has greatly imrpoved over the years, they've a long, hard, climb to make before they're at BMW's level of robustness and reliability.

A good friend of mine who has a fishing lodge at Deshka Landing up in Alaska (near Palmer) just took delivery of her R1150GS/Ural rig from Dauntless, and of course, I have two of these rigs now. I think the mating of a German-built tug and Russian Iron tub is as good as it gets, and as you've noted, putting Stroker's wheels on the combo takes care of the only fault, short tire life.

Best,
'04 BMW R1150GS Adventure/Ural "WarBird" (UberHack 3.0)
http://www.globeriders.com
Kenmore, WA
USA

"The world is a book and those that do not travel, read only a page." - St. Augustine

"...not all those that wander are lost." - J. R. R. Tolkien
mikepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #45
BeemerChef
Wandering Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepa
I have a soft spot in my heart for the Ural Gear-Ups - I've owned and driven three different model years, and have two more (that's a total of five if anyone is keeping track) on consignment at a dealer in OR. The 2WD and reverse are way cool for a hack, but they're simply underpowered for long haul travel. And, thought their reliability has greatly imrpoved over the years, they've a long, hard, climb to make before they're at BMW's level of robustness and reliability.

A good friend of mine who has a fishing lodge at Deshka Landing up in Alaska (near Palmer) just took delivery of her R1150GS/Ural rig from Dauntless, and of course, I have two of these rigs now. I think the mating of a German-built tug and Russian Iron tub is as good as it gets, and as you've noted, putting Stroker's wheels on the combo takes care of the only fault, short tire life.

Best,
I know a few have bragging rights about the Ural... there is no wrong as there is no right... The bragging rights remain on the fact that it is two wheel drive and David's wheel has solved that "affair" I would say by 90%?... seriously. Having to ride behind a semi to keep up with the speeds as I read in an Ural ride report is not my cup of tea... Suddenly worrying that I will not see a Ural dealer within 1500 miles is also not the way to travel... With 210,000 miles on Old Faithful, new clutch just a month ago and u Joint at 150K... how can I complain... Ah! the darn rubber o Ring at the oil filler is going out every 100K... can't stand it!!!
Marketing and only heavy promotion by certain individuals, some more into heavy, meaning strong commercial marketing for themselves... have made the Ural what it is today... it is a cool toy... and that is about it.

Be well... Ara & Spirit