User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,011
Trials Bikes...

Specifically, a '99 Beta Alp. Looks more like a dual-sported trials bike, like a TLR, but still with very trials-ish setup other than that ugly seat. Anyone know anything about them? I think a newer one would be blast to play around on. I've got a '74 TL125, which I dont think really counts, but its a lot of fun. I always wonder when I ride it how much funner it would be if it had, uh, power, brakes, and suspension. The Alp I'm lookin at is pretty rough looking but running/rideable. Would it be a good beater bike for a begginer looking to get into trials?

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

and just for the record... the last time I rode my TL125, it somehow managed to buck me off at the top of a knarly switchback. It then proceeded to throw itself off a 20 foot cliff and pancake on the trail right in front of another rider in our group. Tough bike! Only broke the front brake lever (still worked). Road it the 3 miles back to the truck!

-Charles De Mar.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Yeah that would be a great starter bike. I have a 97 fantic which is the last year they brought them over to the states before they went under. Its a great machine still to this day and runs like new. And it is well used.

If the price is right it would be a perfect bike. I think on those you can still get the trials rear fender and seat like you could the fantics to make it a true trials bike or a perfect trail opener with the seat on it.

I say go for it. Parts should still be available, I can still get parts for my fantic.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonymalc
I say go for it. Parts should still be available, I can still get parts for my fantic.
any hot leads for parts?

i'm looking for a speedo cable and a few other bits for my '85 Beta TR 32. don't NEED the cable to run the bike, but i'm considering plating it, since it has a horn, the left switch is set up for turn signals and the horn, and i have the headlight and taillight for it. just need to figure out mounting for the brake light switch and the blinkers..

also need a new Domino throttle and grips... but i've found those and could use generic stuff if i had to.

just got new fork seals from England. gotta rebuild the forks this week
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." – Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." – Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
try trialsshop on the east coast. I ordered new bars and domino grips for mine. He can get the fantic parts, alot of the older parts are the same between diff manufactures.

I keep meaning to call them to order some parts for the fantic, I need a new acceleration valve thingy for the motor.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
dorkpunch OP
Oops...

google betausa and theres a whole list of dealers, I figured they should still be able to supply parts if they are still selling betas in the states.

What do you think a fair price is? It looks like it has been sitting for several years, no lights anymore, some KTM seat rigged up on it, but the important things appear intact and useable...

-Charles De Mar.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

trials bikes seem to be a VERY niche market. i've heard that 2% of the market is dual sport bikes, and then perhaps one tenth of one percent is the market share for trials bikes. they also seem to get low mileage and probably last a long time compared to MX bikes.

if it's not currently running, that's a ding on the value, but many people probably don't care about lights or other street legal gear on a trials bike.. and you can probably rig generic lights up to it without affecting the value one way or the other.

as far as the seat goes... a KTM seat rigged up seems odd. i'd be trying to find a factory replacement unless it's really well done. found one Alp for sale here, and it looks like a cool little bike- http://www.westny.com/beta.htm that one is for sale and says "call for price" which might give you some idea of value.

really hard to guess a price..the seller may just want someone who will get some use out of it instead of letting it sit in the shed or rust in the yard... and sometimes you can find a great deal if you let the seller open with their asking price instead of throwing out your opening offer.

thanks for the lead on the beta usa site... i was searching by model, and not coming up with much.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
New Beta Alp

I just inquired about buying a 'new' '07 Beta ALP last week as I saw them advertised on Cycletrader.com. Turns out that ALP's have not been imported, at least by the Beta importer, since 2002. The ad on Cycletrade is from a California dealer, Vey's, that just advertises all bikes in the Beta line even though they can't get them all.

I too have been on a kick to buy a trials based dual sport and recently found an '05 GasGas Pampera that is street titled. This era Pamp is a two stroke and weighs in at a svelte 205lbs full o' fuel. It handles like a trials bike for the most part but has a wide ratio trnasmission that allows it to top out at 70mph.

I had thought initially that I'd prefer an modern ALP as they are four strokers, but after spending some time on the Pampera I think it fits what I was looking for better than the ALP would have.

Just so you know the webpage linked above with the '99 ALP for sale was last updated in, you guessed it, 1999, so that bike was a NEW ALP when it was advertised and is long gone.

Of course I'd probably still buy an ALP too............

Rokoneer screwed with this post 12-29-2008 at 08:40 AM
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:32 AM   #9
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,453
I don't know much about the Alp but I have a 97 Beta Techno 260 and it has been a great little trials bike. Things to look for on those is a water pump seal failure that will let coolant into the bottom end. They are also famous for sticky clutches. I have a dealer near me and have not had any problems obtaining parts. That looks like it would be a fun little trail bike.

See now you did it, Talked me into getting the Techno out of the garage and play for a little bit. But it just reminded me, I LOVE that engine. And the clutch didn't even stick today.

Ship the Alp over here and I will fix er up.

Marc

Lomax screwed with this post 12-29-2008 at 11:30 AM
Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 AM   #10
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
If the alp is the one with the little round light and looks sort of like a retro DS trials bike I think it would be a blast. It wouldn't be good at going very fast and it wouldn't be good at trials either. But it is a really cool looking bike that would take you anywhere.

I have a montesa 4rt and love it. I just got it in the fall and have already done 1 comp. My next one is at the end of Jan. I am hooked.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Thumb

Hi,

I own a 2006 Alp 200, but it's almost irrelevant to this question because it's so different to the earlier 2 stroke Alps, which at least looked much more like a trials bike.

If I remember rightly, on some of the 2-stroke Alps the seat could be removed for trials use (just like the latest 4T 200 Alps). A hybrid, and likely a very capable one in really technical going, as you might expect. If you have trouble finding spares in the US, the UK importer here might be able to help.

Buy it or not? Your decision of course, but put it this way - I don't know if the 2T Alps were ever imported into the UK, but if they had there'd probably be one in my garage.

Cheers.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoneer
Just so you know the webpage linked above with the '99 ALP for sale was last updated in, you guessed it, 1999, so that bike was a NEW ALP when it was advertised and is long gone.

whups! i didn't bother to check the page info.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
GasGas300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
I have a Gas Gas 300 - been riding trials for several years and love it - Had a Montesa before that. I ride with a friend in a area with lots of slick rock. Trials is a lot of fun, and I would give up the dual sport bikes before the trials. I wish I had started riding them 20 years ago. It's very challenging and one of the cheapest forms of riding. A good trials will run many years with very little maintenance.
GasGas300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Speak of the Devil........

There's a real live Beta ALP up for dibs on eBay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other...spagenameZWDVW
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch
...I've got a '74 TL125, which I dont think really counts, but its a lot of fun. I always wonder when I ride it how much funner it would be if it had, uh, power, brakes, and suspension. ...

Don't bring me down, dorkpunch. Just getting into this with a TL125 that is currently being resurrected.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote