User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,189
03 625 Sxc Rebuild To An Adventure/rallye Bike

I have been putting parts aside to be able to convert my sxc to an adventure/rallyebike for a 6 months or so and at my last stage rallye my crank conrod bearing went half way through the day so hope you like the ADVENTURE!

During the stage that the bike started klack klakin

Just after the Mt Hood Rally.

I wont bore you with disassembly but the last photo of the sxc that went a hard 40-50 THOUSAND miles.

A photo of the broken motor and a newly powdercoated 02 Adventure frame with the extra quart of oil I was looking for... and a newly resprung revalved shock done by inmate zerodog of Infinity Werks and also you might see a extra triple for the 48s but that will have to wait till spring and the 43s will have to do.

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 05-02-2009 at 02:54 PM Reason: Edit
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,488
Nice. I scored a used 48mm triple which I was keeping as a backup for my 04 SXC.

So you did 40+k miles on the original (no oil in frame) motor? Impressive. You said the motor is broken, how? Also, out of curiosity and not wanting to start an oil thread, what was your oil choice and change interval?

BTW, anyone got a complete SXC wiring harness. I think I need one.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

The big end of the rod and crankpin have considerable damage to them, while the rod bearing was not so bad, piston was done from the slappy slap but the cylinder was serviceable. Pro-X makes a conrod kit cheaper than OEM that I went with and Wossner makes a piston replacement I got through LA Sleeve for much cheaper than the stocker plus much nicer. Just waiting on bearings, gaskets and some other odds and end like oil lines.

The frame, fork , swingarm rebuilt with new bearings rebuilt shock, a new linkage (almost cheaper than getting all the bearings).
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 12-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,775
I see a listing for the Pro-X conrod kit at LA Sleeve but I don't see a listing for the Wossner piston kit... Is the piston a direct drop in stock replacement or does it require a resleeve/replate? How much under OEM price are they?
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck
I see a listing for the Pro-X conrod kit at LA Sleeve but I don't see a listing for the Wossner piston kit... Is the piston a direct drop in stock replacement or does it require a resleeve/replate? How much under OEM price are they?
WoSSner makes a direct drop plus two others and a 660 101mm .

The least Ive seen for a stocker is 280.00usd and the wossner was 219.00 shipped. When I get it back with the cylinder I will post an image of it.

some more

gettin there
Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 AM   #6
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
I'm in!

Bike looks great so far. What do you have planned besides the Adventure tank, are you putting on a fairing?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,137

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Lucas, You can see the headlight triom or bracket just in front of the tank. I need mounting bushings to check fitment on the faring.

heres a newer one where I have refitted the harness and put a new galfer front hose and got rid of the "espresso" brake fluid and put the lightly sprayed radiators. looks like in the photo not enough on the fins to cover the 5 yrs of Sierra red dirt but it looks good in person and I didnt want to overload it with paint. Plus its a BIAtch to paint when it never gets over 40 degrees that why the radiator guard and light bracket arent black yet. Just got word that the crank will be here the 7th so just need to get 6 bearings out of the cases so I can have those coated.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

Oddometer: 512
This is the highest mileage SXC I've heard of....

I'm coming up on 20k miles and hope to see another 20k now that I've done the cam and valve rocker bearing replacement.
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned1

I'm coming up on 20k miles and hope to see another 20k now that I've done the cam and valve rocker bearing replacement.
cam and bearings at 35,000 with the autodeco pin worn out

Thats why I went with the adventure frame for the oil. On that note when I first dipped into the "oil conundrum" I used the rotella flavor then finally listened to my friend cevquit the machinist and went to the Mobil 1 15-50 gold cap and changed every 1000 to 1500 mi, filters every other change.

The more I look at parts fiches I see the newer models have an extra oil line that goes from lower rear filter to the front of the case near or at the crankshaft locking nut in front and would love to do a mod like that but now I just need my bike back and will look into it once the bike is done and raceable.

Hope to start the motor work next week as parts are on their way!

I also noted that the oil valve piston on the bottom near the drain seemed to be "stuck" in the up postiton and didnt seem to want to come out without some work, Lucky they made a hole to pull it down. My oil pumps will be replaced during the rebuild as well as one seems to be sluggish and they are only 60.00 each.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
then finally listened to my friend cevquit the machinist and went to the Mobil 1 15-50 gold cap and changed every 1000 to 1500 mi, filters every other change.
Thanks for this info. I use the gold cap every 1500 miles also but change the filter every time. Maybe I'll follow your lead and switch to every other .... now if I can just figure out why the charging system is foobared.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
Roarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
Thanks for this info. I use the gold cap every 1500 miles also but change the filter every time. Maybe I'll follow your lead and switch to every other .... now if I can just figure out why the charging system is foobared.
Check the wires coming in and going out of the voltage regulator/rectifier. Mine have vibrated enough for them to crack inside the insulation and cause intermittent charging. Took me a long while to figure that one out They cracked just past the rubber insulation on the rec/reg. Hope this helps
Roarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roarin
Check the wires coming in and going out of the voltage regulator/rectifier. Mine have vibrated enough for them to crack inside the insulation and cause intermittent charging. Took me a long while to figure that one out They cracked just past the rubber insulation on the rec/reg. Hope this helps
I don't want to tangent this thread, I started a thread on it a few weeks ago. my problem a few weeks ago. I don't think I'm having your issue (see comment about how the direct RR-battery bypass fixed it) but if anyone has any advice I'm all ears.

Anyways, back to this interesting rebuild thread.

wrk2srf ... any chance for some good closeup pics as you go through the rebuild? I've not tore into the motor beyond just resealing the rocker cover (clearly not very far) and the stuff you're talking about doing, it would be great if you could document it for those of us who aren't as motor savvy. Realize it's asking a lot.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
cevquit
maphead

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned1

those were HARD MILES too
Old 01-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #15
wrk2surf OP
on the gas or brakes

trickle down part theory

Well got some parts back and 1 round of 3 orders in. (crank, bearings, seals). Also got the reniked cylinder back. Heres some of the goodies and shots of the Wossner next to the ELKO.

prox conrod repair

cylinder and piston ready to go

tapered outside edges and some scoring on the old one

some sharp knife edges on the bottom

I also did some seat shaping losing a few inches front to back on the Adv seat and added a Dzus fitting spot like the ol SXC.

Not a selle della valle but it'll do... just need a timecard pocket sewn to the front of cover.

Now Im waiting on some oil pumps, gasket set, seals, sight glass and the motor should be being rebuilt in 2 weeks or so.