Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Laser145 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Flooring for rental unit: Need Advice

Hey ADV

I've got a rental unit (I'm the owner) that I'm going to replace the flooring on soon. It's currently carpet and needs replacing... Slab underneath.

I want something not too expensive, durable, nice looking... bonus if I can install myself.

A friend has mentioned carpet tiles as an option since you can replace individual tiles as they're damaged...

Anyone have experience here?

Cheers
Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,064
Most rentals I see in my area have pergo or some equivalent and seems to work out for the landlord. I have hardwood with an hardened oil finish in mine and raise the price because of it, which leads to better tenants. Pretty much maintenance free.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,586
Carpet tiles, typically designed for commercial use, are usually much more expensive than regular residential carpet.

I put them in my Mom's place so she has an easier time getting around with a cane or walker.

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,438
Resilient vinyl plank flooring. Not expensive, looks good and wears very well. Easy to put down.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Resilient vinyl plank flooring. Not expensive, looks good and wears very well. Easy to put down.

Have laminate in one rental and carpet in the other, carpet two years old and really show the traffic areas.
Laminate is 10 years old had two large dogs running through the house, kids and renters wear and tear from moving in and out and it still look good.
But water will swell my type of laminate.

Friend just put down the vinyl plank flooring and it does look good.
If a area gets damaged, looks easy to replace.
KiloBravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Laser145 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I should mention the unit in question is a basement unit in a humid environment (Mississippi).

I want something that can withstand some moisture...
Old 09-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloBravo View Post
Have laminate in one rental and carpet in the other, carpet two years old and really show the traffic areas.
Laminate is 10 years old had two large dogs running through the house, kids and renters wear and tear from moving in and out and it still look good.
But water will swell my type of laminate.

Friend just put down the vinyl plank flooring and it does look good.
If a area gets damaged, looks easy to replace.

The resilient vinyl is waterproof, unlike the laminates.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Laser145 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My unit has a main house upstairs with original hardwood floors... they look great and are staying of course. I'm not sure with the lower level, though I'm certainly exploring the option of hardwood and tile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
Most rentals I see in my area have pergo or some equivalent and seems to work out for the landlord. I have hardwood with an hardened oil finish in mine and raise the price because of it, which leads to better tenants. Pretty much maintenance free.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #9
Laser145 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The internets seem to say this stuff scratches fairly easily... Otherwise people love it...???

Quote:
Old 09-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser145 View Post
The internets seem to say this stuff scratches fairly easily... Otherwise people love it...???

I've heard the opposite, that it is pretty scratch resistant.

I have put it down in my living room, and between a five year old and a cat and my wife constantly rearranging the furniture, not a scratch to be seen.

It is very easy to install, needing only a vapor barrier over concrete. It can be installed over existing flooring if you wish, provided it's pretty level. It is easy to work with. I used a utility knife, a speed square, a coping saw for detailed cuts around things, and a rubber mallet with a tapping block. Used a chalk line to keep the first few runs straight, then after that, just bam, bam bam. "Click and drop" tongue and groove. Easy peasy. No adhesives or anything, it's a full floating floor.

One thing to be aware of is that constant exposure to direct sunlight over a long period will fade it, but so far that has not been an issue with our floor.

I'm doing a remodel of our half-bath and will be using it in there, as well as the downstairs bedroom.

I'm sold on this stuff so far.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Laser145 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

All of this sounds good... The entire place is just under 900sq ft. I'm just starting to price it all out.

Quote:
I've heard the opposite, that it is pretty scratch resistant.

I have put it down in my living room, and between a five year old and a cat and my wife constantly rearranging the furniture, not a scratch to be seen.

It is very easy to install, needing only a vapor barrier over concrete. It can be installed over existing flooring if you wish, provided it's pretty level. It is easy to work with. I used a utility knife, a speed square, a coping saw for detailed cuts around things, and a rubber mallet with a tapping block. Used a chalk line to keep the first few runs straight, then after that, just bam, bam bam. "Click and drop" tongue and groove. Easy peasy.

One thing to be aware of is that constant exposure to direct sunlight will fade it, but so far that has not been an issue with our floor.

I'm doing a remodel of our half-bath and will be using it in there, as well as the downstairs bedroom.

I'm sold on this stuff so far.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,425
I've been in the affordable rental business for quite a few years; first at a nonprofit, and now with one of the agencies that provides the funding. VCT is durable, cheap, easy to replace/repair, but some folks think it looks too institutional; and it does tend to look dull if it's not cleaned and waxed. Some of our developers are using vinyl planks, some are going with laminates, and some are using a mix of those two with carpet tiles in the bedrooms. All of them have good things to say about those options, and all are relatively easy to replace a section if you need to. Just be sure to get a few extra pieces so you don't have to match them later.
One of my favorite combos was VCT throughout, and a bound carpet piece to fit the areas where you want more warmth or comfort. Easy to roll up and replace (or not) if the tenant damages it.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,750
Rhino linings
Old 09-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #14
Laser145 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm all for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfuzz View Post
Rhino linings
Old 09-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #15
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser145 View Post
I have used this stuff and find it near indestructable. A buddy in the floor business down at the beach turned me onto it. He is putting this in a lot of sandy environments and its become the go to beach house recommended product.

Not cheap however. http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/luxury-vinyl.html
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: