Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
jgrady1982 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
My Mosin Nagant 91/30

I finished my Mosin Nagant. ATI stock, removed the front and rear sight, welded holes in rear sight, sanded and reblued barrel and top of receiver. ATI scope mount on receiver. ****'s Field and Stream brand scope, 9-24x50...I think. I think that I may have drilled the receiver a little off for the scope mount. I am off to the range now to see how it shoots, if it is not working right I am going to have my welder TIG in the holes and re-mount it for me.

Here it is:

The barrel is not gray in that last pic, that is just the camera flash. I had to sand the pi$$ out of the stock in order to get the barrel and receiver to fall in. I shot it the first time w/o doing that and the barrel would pop upward out of the stock and I had to wait until it would cool off to push it back into place. It looks pretty cool though. I put an 11 degree crown on the barrel when I shortened it 5.5", I ordered the target crown kit from midwayusa.com, I think that it was about $89??? It worked well and, I think looks pretty good, however I am no gunsmith so critisism or however you spell that is recommeneded.

Thanks,
Jack
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,388
Nice. I bought one of those at Big 5. Kicks like a mule, but the bolt does jam up after a few rounds are fired off. Maybe something is tweaked? Fine when cold.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #3
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,950
Just curious here. How much have you spent on the sporterized beast?

Have you found it a bit difficult to load the critter with that solid scope mount over the receiver opening? I had a similar situation on an old Rem 600 and it's a bit of a pain to load and unload the thing.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
yonahforge
Lur King

Oddometer: 40
There are two main things with a M/N that can cause the bolt to be hard to cycle. Lacquered shell casings will do it - they get hot and stick a little. The other thing is built up cosmolene and grease in the chamber, it gets hot and sticks to the case.

Beyond that, there may be a burr in the chamber or something of that nature. These things are simple as a rock and a lot more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Nice. I bought one of those at Big 5. Kicks like a mule, but the bolt does jam up after a few rounds are fired off. Maybe something is tweaked? Fine when cold.
yonahforge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
wjherrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Is yours a...

... .308 bore or .311? I used Wolf ammo and the best I got was 6" at 50 yards. I switched to .311 and groups shrunk to 3" @ 100. Mine was a carbine. I heard that they made the switch to / or from .308 in later guns, but I don't know that for sure.

Bill in OR
Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
Nailhead
Free at last!

Oddometer: 6,187
I looked at one of those at a gun show on the west side of the state a few years back. I wish I had bought it-- $150 didn't seem that much for a piece of history.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '93 Ducati 900 SS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
yonahforge
Lur King

If you're not careful, soon one would turn into many more. They're like rabbits.. Below are my 1928 Tula, 1939 Izhevsk, and Finn P-26. The Finn's the most interesting for me, it looks like a 90 year old warhorse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
I looked at one of those at a gun show on the west side of the state a few years back. I wish I had bought it-- $150 didn't seem that much for a piece of history.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
yonahforge
Lur King

Neat looking sporter. What year / markings are on the barrel shank?

Big question is how well does it shoot? Your shoulder black & blue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrady1982 View Post
I finished my Mosin Nagant. ATI stock, removed the front and rear sight, welded holes in rear sight, sanded and reblued barrel and top of receiver. ATI scope mount on receiver. ****'s Field and Stream brand scope, 9-24x50...I think. I think that I may have drilled the receiver a little off for the scope mount. I am off to the range now to see how it shoots, if it is not working right I am going to have my welder TIG in the holes and re-mount it for me.

Here it is:

The barrel is not gray in that last pic, that is just the camera flash. I had to sand the pi$$ out of the stock in order to get the barrel and receiver to fall in. I shot it the first time w/o doing that and the barrel would pop upward out of the stock and I had to wait until it would cool off to push it back into place. It looks pretty cool though. I put an 11 degree crown on the barrel when I shortened it 5.5", I ordered the target crown kit from midwayusa.com, I think that it was about $89??? It worked well and, I think looks pretty good, however I am no gunsmith so critisism or however you spell that is recommeneded.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 10-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonahforge View Post
There are two main things with a M/N that can cause the bolt to be hard to cycle. Lacquered shell casings will do it - they get hot and stick a little. The other thing is built up cosmolene and grease in the chamber, it gets hot and sticks to the case.

Beyond that, there may be a burr in the chamber or something of that nature. These things are simple as a rock and a lot more fun.
Typically its old laquer and wax in the chamber. Nothing a drill and a tight fitting bore brush cant cure though.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
jgrady1982 OP
Studly Adventurer

The gun was $99 before tax, so say $110. The stock was $65 after shipping, $30 for the scope mount, $20 for the rings, and $69 for the scope, and another $70 for the bolt handle. So that is...$364, and then $100 for 440 rounds from cheaperthandirt.

I took it to the range today, 25 yards to be specific. That gun is a TACK DRIVER! Granted it was only 25 yards, but the wind was howling today and I just wanted to get it dialed in to some distance. Next Sunday I am going to go back to the range and hit the 100 yard mark with it and see what the gun will do. I love this gun!

It is 7.62x54R chambered by the way, I do not know the standard coversion for that. Too lazy to get my graphing calculator out!

Thanks,
Jack
Old 10-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
jgrady1982 OP
Studly Adventurer

It is a 1941 Tula, my shoulder feels great, but my buddy's was a bit sore. I was so excited about that gun, I could have shot it all day. We only went through 40 rounds, 20 rounds to get it scoped in, and then another 20 for fun.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
jgrady1982 OP
Studly Adventurer

I have not figured out how to load more than one round from the top yet. I am going to drink some beer and get on youtube tonight to try and figure that out. Do you think that you can just load all 5 from the bottom? I don't think so.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
yonahforge
Lur King

It's a top load only type of arrangement. Takes a little force to push them down, but not too much. Watch your fingers, you'll end up pinching them if you're not paying attention. If you're having problems, make sure that the rim of each cartridge is in front of the one below it - otherwise they can hang up some.

Quote:
I have not figured out how to load more than one round from the top yet. I am going to drink some beer and get on youtube tonight to try and figure that out. Do you think that you can just load all 5 from the bottom? I don't think so.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #14
yonahforge
Lur King

A 1941 Tula? Large star with an arrow in it? That one's an 8 on the rarity scale on 7.62x54R.net - the Tula factory was in danger in '41 from the Nazis. Not many 41 Tulas show up.

I wouldn't go posting on the Mosin collector forums, they get a little worked up with modifications and if it's a rare one....

Quote:
It is a 1941 Tula, my shoulder feels great, but my buddy's was a bit sore. I was so excited about that gun, I could have shot it all day. We only went through 40 rounds, 20 rounds to get it scoped in, and then another 20 for fun.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
That's a lot of scope for a Mosin.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: