ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 401 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #166
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Cool!

Thanks Beedub!!
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #167
BeeDub
Havagoowan
 
BeeDub's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Wow.



Those Mars shots are simply amazing.
Those ARE awesome! I love amphibians!!!

I have a somewhat far-fetched dream of one day bringing an old Grumman Albatross back to life.
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #168
BeeDub
Havagoowan
 
BeeDub's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Cool!

Thanks Beedub!!
No problem! When I saw this thread I remembered I had those stuffed somewhere in my hard drive. Maybe I'll post them up to the helicopter thread where those pros can laugh at me.
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #169
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDub
Those ARE awesome! I love amphibians!!!

I have a somewhat far-fetched dream of one day bringing an old Grumman Albatross back to life.
I recall a few years back seeing a show on the travel channel where an old pilot had spent his life savings on a run down albatross, did a complete I overhaul on it and renovated the interior to be like a modern RV and he and his wife where flying all over the world in it. I think the interview was at lake powell and they showed him flying in and pulling up to the dock.

My father and I were dying on the couch.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #170
BeeDub
Havagoowan
 
BeeDub's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I recall a few years back seeing a show on the travel channel where an old pilot had spent his life savings on a run down albatross, did a complete I overhaul on it and renovated the interior to be like a modern RV and he and his wife where flying all over the world in it. I think the interview was at lake powell and they showed him flying in and pulling up to the dock.

My father and I were dying on the couch.
That's awesome! I wish I'd seen that show. I even know where to find the fixer uppers...
BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #171
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer
 
MotoMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: The Black Palm Springs
Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Wow.



Those Mars shots are simply amazing.
Not mine. Someone emailed them to me a while back, and I had since deleted them. I just did a Google image search.

I wish I could take credit for them!
__________________
Lost Coyotes MC
MotoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #172
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer
 
MotoMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: The Black Palm Springs
Oddometer: 5,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I recall a few years back seeing a show on the travel channel where an old pilot had spent his life savings on a run down albatross, did a complete I overhaul on it and renovated the interior to be like a modern RV and he and his wife where flying all over the world in it. I think the interview was at lake powell and they showed him flying in and pulling up to the dock.

My father and I were dying on the couch.
I saw something similar in a magazine. Might be the same people. They also had a couple of PWC's in pods under the wings that they could lower right into the water.
__________________
Lost Coyotes MC
MotoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #173
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces
 
SgtMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bainbridge Island Base Camp
Oddometer: 1,134
???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaros1
I'm a manufacturing engineer working on these things:

I build racing shock absorbers... you hiring? I'll move (Charlotte, NC).
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #174
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer
 
I_FLY_LOW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 2,617
must not let a cool thread die!!!
This is what you get to do, when someone mistakes the flap switch for the gear switch, on rollout.
Reader's digest pictorial...
From this:




To this:




Nothing like working your ass off under someone's scrutiny and deadline to be perfect, only to rush on a shitty paint job....






I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #175
nofate
what blackflies?
 
nofate's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chapleau, ON
Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW
must not let a cool thread die!!!
This is what you get to do, when someone mistakes the flap switch for the gear switch, on rollout.
Don't those retractable gear planes have squat switches that won't let the gear come up with weight on them? Or was someone trying to raise flaps on final?
__________________
Rick, Chapleau, ON
Triumph Scrambler 900
Honda Trail CT90

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #176
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer
 
I_FLY_LOW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Oddometer: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate
Don't those retractable gear planes have squat switches that won't let the gear come up with weight on them? Or was someone trying to raise flaps on final?
Perhaps on newer planes... May not be the case on this one...
This guy landed, and on rollout, hit the wrong switch...
Gear folded up, and skidded to a stop off the edge of the runway.
Did plenty of damage.. gear doors, nose skins, belly skin, both flaps replaced, minor firewall/gear wheel well damage...
Not to mention the damage to the guy's huge ego...

The guy in the red sweat shirt owns it. His brother is the one who flew it and caused the incident.
His brother also owns the cub in the back ground, and is the same cub I posted earlier in the thread...
The super cub is also a hangermate with this bonanza and Cub.

The next door hanger has the Stearman (posted earlier), and a T6 Texan...
There's some cool toys at this little airport..

I_FLY_LOW screwed with this post 04-16-2009 at 12:40 PM
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #177
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW
Perhaps on newer planes... May not be the case on this one...
This guy landed, and on rollout, hit the wrong switch...
Gear folded up, and skidded to a stop off the edge of the runway.
Did plenty of damage.. gear doors, nose skins, belly skin, both flaps replaced, minor firewall/gear wheel well damage...
Not to mention the damage to the guy's huge ego...

The guy in the red sweat shirt owns it. His brother is the one who flew it and caused the incident.
His brother also owns the cub in the back ground, and is the same cub I posted earlier in the thread...
The super cub is also a hangermate with this bonanza and Cub.

The next door hanger has the Stearman (posted earlier), and a T6 Texan...
There's some cool toys at this little airport..
Awesome!

So how do you like what you're doing?
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #178
crampfan
not really a nOOb
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Clarksville Arkansas
Oddometer: 2,400
they still make you tear the engine down for a prop strike?, looks like he got him a new popo. I ground looped my old Taylor, the airframe damage was a piece of cake compared to the cost of the engine work.
crampfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #179
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer
 
MotoMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: The Black Palm Springs
Oddometer: 5,009
Knew a guy with a Navion that folded the gear on start up. He had an A&P working on the gear earlier, went to fly the plane, didn't check the gear switch and when he started it, as soon as the hydraulics came up to pressure, whammo!

He is a high hour pilot and active CFI also. Checking the gear switch was #2 on the checklist.
__________________
Lost Coyotes MC
MotoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #180
Rider2898
Adventurer Wannabe
 
Rider2898's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Western Washington
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by crampfan
they still make you tear the engine down for a prop strike?, looks like he got him a new popo. I ground looped my old Taylor, the airframe damage was a piece of cake compared to the cost of the engine work.
Yep, engine overhaul is still manditory after a prop strike.
We had a costomer that owned 2 bananzas. When I started the shop was finishing up replaceing the belly and engine after the owner bellied in one of his planes. About a month or 2 after his first bonanza was back flying his other bonanza appered in the shop needing a new belly and engine.
__________________
Riding in the rain... On the uly
Rider2898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014