Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 329 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #2326
JMead11
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgord View Post
We were probably standing right next to each other!
I work at the Villa Oasis on Toltec....the old train station.....I was in our courtyard.
JMead11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #2327
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,665
"..and I ate his little C-130, with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #2328
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
You have an office?

How do the trucks like the cold weather?

Ours wouldnt start the other morning.
Ours stay nice and cozy in the heated bays and plugged. Yours should be good to go as long as they keep them plugged in to keep the batteries up and blocks warm. We've never had any issues with the cold temps.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #2329
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
Ours stay nice and cozy in the heated bays and plugged. Yours should be good to go as long as they keep them plugged in to keep the batteries up and blocks warm. We've never had any issues with the cold temps.
It's always plugged in (usually trip on the cord since they park it infront of the hazmat container ), but they were having trouble getting it started yesterday. Charge sounded low according to the starter.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #2330
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Amazing payload!

Here is a picture of not one but two M1A2's in the cargo compartment of the C-5M SuperGalaxy. The C-5A and C-5B could do this, but not very easily. The SuperGalaxy can, and can deliver this payload anyhwere it needs to go. The lighting system inside the cargo compartment is a far cry from the incandescent system we have on the A/B's.

Just...freaking...awesome! (As a side note, that is the cleanest C-5 and the cleanest tanks I've ever seen)

Old 12-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #2331
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Here is a picture of not one but two M1A2's in the cargo compartment of the C-5M SuperGalaxy. The C-5A and C-5B could do this, but not very easily. The SuperGalaxy can, and can deliver this payload anyhwere it needs to go. The lighting system inside the cargo compartment is a far cry from the incandescent system we have on the A/B's.

Just...freaking...awesome! (As a side note, that is the cleanest C-5 and the cleanest tanks I've ever seen)

OMG!!!! Now that's a can of whoop ass to open up.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #2332
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
As a side note, that is the cleanest C-5 and the cleanest tanks I've ever seen
That might have been from the load certification test flight given the civilians standing around.

The Air Force is very picky about cleanliness when they give Army hardware a ride. When we had QRF, we would have to get the tanks spotless and wrap all the tools in sandbags to prevent metal on metal contact (sparks?), and then we had to clean them again before parking them on the ramp.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #2333
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,719

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #2334
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
- FB: www.facebook.com/peter.perdaen
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/1150GSPEP/videos
GSPeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #2335
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:

Am I the only one who just cant get my head around how in the world any aircraft can lift and carry THAT MUCH weight? I look at the wings, I look at the engines and it just doesnt add up. I mean even that damn cargo door looks like it weighs more than a fucking Chevy Suburban! I am convinced it's all done with smoke and mirrors and secret anti gravity machines or something!
Simply amazing.

Secret undercover photo of Anti Gravity being used!
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #2336
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
This happened a few years ago when a summer storm rolled thru before we could get the birds tied down. Expen$ive weather system.

Buffable........you'll find the elbow grease just before the spit & polish, second shelf on the right.

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #2337
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamoto View Post
Buffable........you'll find the elbow grease just before the spit & polish, second shelf on the right.
Yeah but how you going to smooth the kinks out of the rotor? I reckon the boss will notice that.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #2338
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100 View Post
Am I the only one who just cant get my head around how in the world any aircraft can lift and carry THAT MUCH weight? I look at the wings, I look at the engines and it just doesnt add up. I mean even that damn cargo door looks like it weighs more than a fucking Chevy Suburban! I am convinced it's all done with smoke and mirrors and secret anti gravity machines or something!
Simply amazing.

It is pretty amazing. If I recall correctly, the M1 tank is the heaviest vehicle in the Army's inventory. Maybe something like 80 tons. Even heavier than the M60 it replaced.

When I was doing the 747 thing we used to top out at about 830,000 lbs, which included about 330,000 lbs of fuel. That was amazing to me, the better part of a million lbs and still flyable. And the C-5 is even heavier (much heavier I think).
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #2339
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
That might have been from the load certification test flight given the civilians standing around.

The Air Force is very picky about cleanliness when they give Army hardware a ride.
That was the load certification for the C-5M. The main reason such a fuss is made over the cleanliness of vehicles is mostly, believe it or not, a function of agricultural requirements to reduce and restrict the spread of cryptosporidium type organisms, like anthrax..not the stuff they gas you with, the "hoof and mouth" version..from one country to another, or even one part of a country to another part. Serious business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspeed View Post
It is pretty amazing. If I recall correctly, the M1 tank is the heaviest vehicle in the Army's inventory. Maybe something like 80 tons. Even heavier than the M60 it replaced.

When I was doing the 747 thing we used to top out at about 830,000 lbs, which included about 330,000 lbs of fuel. That was amazing to me, the better part of a million lbs and still flyable. And the C-5 is even heavier (much heavier I think).
Prepped for standard airshipment, the M1A2 is set up to about 134,000 lbs. Combat loaded it reaches about 166,000 lbs. We airlifted one of several at that weight from Hunter AAF direct to Mogidishu, Somalia shortly after the whole "Blackhawk Down" incident. 18.5 hours enroute with three air-refuelings...two of those at night. The M-1's have received some upgrades since that time, so the combat loadout weight is probably a bit higher now.

The current Max. T/O Weight stands at 840,000 lbs, certified up to 920,000 or so. It has been tested up to a 1 million lbs gross take off weight. The c-5M set 44 world records in the "time to climb vs. payload weight" area in a single flight.

Oh, and that forward door (called a "visor")? It weighs about 2 tons.

Heyload screwed with this post 12-11-2011 at 08:34 PM
Old 12-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #2340
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
Sorry I can't embed this one, but if you've ever thought of the C-130 as "just a cargo plane," this might change your mind

http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/cpasley/5495/

At least I can embed this one:

The pilot of the plane in this vid goes by his former Navy callsign of "Lex" and is one of my favorite bloggers (click here for his blog) Lex has been a TOPGUN instructor, has commanded a strike fighter squadron, and did the corporate thing after he retired. After a couple of years, he decided he'd like to fly jets again and took an offer from ATAC to fly KFIRs as adversary aircraft.

Looks like great work if you can get it

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: