2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #2447
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
I'm curious, what is the idea/advantage to adding a second engine to the plane of that size in the first place? Was it increased load? Or maybe range?
Yes and hopefully yes... Practicality, eh, not so much...
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #2448
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
A doctor I know has his own plane, an older Piper I think. Anyway, he lives here in East Texas, but he has one kid in Colorado (and a second house there), one kid in Montana, and one kid in Iowa. He bought a plane last year because he said he could use it and get there faster than the airlines, whenever he wanted, and and not for that much more money, plus, way more fun than the airlines. I think he averages about 20 MPG in his plane, so aside from more maintenance and airport fees it wasn't that much more expensive than driving his truck.

Granted, with his job and no other bills he can afford the upkeep that comes with plane ownership. Kinda like a boat in my opinion, except much more useful

One day I would love to get into flying. Always been a dream of mine. Finances and family have held me back thus far, but one day...
I would be interested to know what it is exactly. From what I remember, 10-15mpg was the magical number for most single engine piston planes regardless of engine size and retractable/fixed gear. It all seemed to work out the same. This doesn't however apply to homebuilt/kit airplanes. Bigger engine meant faster speed, but higher consumption. Smaller engine meant slower speed and lower consumption. Consider that 100LL (avgas or airplane gas) is a little over $6.00 a gallon the car gas cost vs airplane gas cost is clearly sided to the car. Of course when it comes to time saved, and enjoyment the airplane wins.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #2449
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
I think for some, it the matter of being able to cover longer distances quicker.
You can fly from here to Oshkosh, in a j-3 sipping gas, but it'll take forever to get there.
Take a bonanza on the same trip, sure your gph is much higher, but you're in the air a fraction of the time.
Depending on how high the fuel burn, it's a wash, based on time...
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #2450
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,277
Not to mention in small aircraft, wind direction and speed plays almost as big of a part in fuel consumption.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #2451
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,277

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #2452
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
Mooney 201's would get the equivalent of 20 mpg. About the best you'd do with a production general aviation aircraft. A homebuilt or kit plane, like a RV6 or maybe a GlasAir, could maybe, or probably, beat that. A Bonanza A36, an aircraft you and a few others would feel comfortable for long stretches, would be getting about 11-12 mpg. The engine lasts 1600 hours, and a new engine would set you back $30,000+. Overhaul maybe 2/3 that cost. So, at the minimum you're paying $88 an hour for fuel, and around $12 for the engine per hour..then there's the prop and the, and the.....AOPA is always making general aviation out to be the every man's pursuit. Not really.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #2453
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 4,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Mooney 201's would get the equivalent of 20 mpg. About the best you'd do with a production general aviation aircraft. A homebuilt or kit plane, like a RV6 or maybe a GlasAir, could maybe, or probably, beat that. A Bonanza A36, an aircraft you and a few others would feel comfortable for long stretches, would be getting about 11-12 mpg. The engine lasts 1600 hours, and a new engine would set you back $30,000+. Overhaul maybe 2/3 that cost. So, at the minimum you're paying $88 an hour for fuel, and around $12 for the engine per hour..then there's the prop and the, and the.....AOPA is always making general aviation out to be the every man's pursuit. Not really.
That's a good breakdown.

I can't imagine what it'd cost to fly an old warbird!
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #2454
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,234
I think an AT-6 uses 50-60 gals per hour but any of the L birds are cheap to fly. L-14 uses about 4.5 to 5 gal per hour.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #2455
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Speaking of fuel economy, here's a cockpit video of a Concorde crew at work. Cool vintage stuff, 3 man crew and all.

[IMG][/IMG]
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #2456
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,648
Quote:
That's a good breakdown.

A Hawker Sea Fury air racer running a P&W R-4360 sucks down somewhere around 500 gallons per hour of very expensive racing fuel.

Abraham Lincoln

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #2457
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
A Hawker Sea Fury air racer running a P&W R-4360 sucks down somewhere around 500 gallons per hour of very expensive racing fuel.
It's not just the fuel, but the maintenance. I have a friend with a P51 (although not a good enough friend that I've gotten a ride yet) and he does quite a few hours of maintenance for every hour of flight.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #2458
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
Quote:
That's a good breakdown.

The Courtesy Aircraft site: http://courtesyaircraft.com/inventory%20table.htm has profiles on the more common of the various warbirds they sell linked on the info page for the aircraft for sale. Here is the profile for the AT-6, shows 30 gal./hr fuel burn:

http://courtesyaircraft.com/Aircraft...es/T6_prof.htm

Here is the list of profiles: http://www.courtesyaircraft.com/Aircraft%20Profiles/
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper

Andyinhilo screwed with this post 01-14-2012 at 10:09 AM
Andyinhilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #2459
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:

There is a guy that lives about 20 miles away from me that builds warbirds. He is known for his Yak 3's that he builds from Yak 11 airframes. He just finished a 7-8 year long project in which he built from scratch a Potez 630 observation plane from WWII.

He was telling us that the Yak 3, which he powers with an Allison V-12 is over $300/ hour in fuel alone. He does all his own maintenance, but that is time he has to put into it.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #2460
Robert Ford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I miss flying...

I started learning while in high school and took lessons sporadically and didn't get my private until I turned 37 and got my instrument rating shortly after. We used to rent a Piper Archer and fly from Dayton to Boston visiting family.

It all ended when I had a spontaneous pneumothorax in 2005 and was told I couldn't get another medical. These days the bug has started to bite again and I'm thinking of going with some sort of ultralight or LSA. My understanding is that you can self certify medically as long as your last medical wasn't rejected.
Robert Ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: