Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 397 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #2491
ADK
it's casual

Oddometer: 8,171
aviation tv

Alaska Wing Men @8E on Nat Geo and Flying Wild Alaska @10E on Disc channel.
There's still two bush pilots left in the Adirondacks, too bad nobody wants to do a show about them.

ADK screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 05:29 PM
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #2492
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I think that's the magic convergence right there, 200mph from 100hp.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #2493
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post

There's an odd discolouration of the concrete around the nosegear, too.

Ruptured hydraulic line?

Yea I'd say it's some sort of fluid-under-pressure. It's in flight for a moment before it hits and darkens the concrete in a spray pattern. Hydraulic line, maybe suspension strut?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #2494
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,954
Update: Iran Didn't Down RQ-170 UAV Drone

Remember the spy drone IRAN says they took over control of and landed it? They didnt.

"....For one thing, the RQ-170 shown was the right size and shape but the wrong color. Not just a different color from that seen on many photos of the RQ-170s in Afghanistan but also a color unknown in American military service. A closer examination of the Iranian RQ-170 photos indicated that the Iranians had reassembled an RQ-170 that had crashed and broken into three or more pieces."

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htatrit/20120122.aspx

BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #2495
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a

I thought this was pretty cool

Best viewed in HD and full screen
Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #2496
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
3 things to watch. Watch lightning hit vertical stabilizer. Then watch charge leave the plane to the left of the nose gear entering a metal manhole cover in the pavement. The last time to view it look towards the tug that is rolling in on the left where the manhole cover that was blown out of the plate in the ground.

Neat clip. My bets on the puff and spray are steam and dirty water. The access cover that got blown into the air was covering a hole that was probably a collecting point for rain water. The arc heated the water and the steam blew the cover off. The liquid's point of origin appears to be the same as the round object. You can also see it streaming off the object as it blasts upwards. Try to pause the vid just after the strike on full screen and you'll get a good snap shot with the cover on the way up streaming brown liquid behind it.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #2497
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,398
Quote:
Originally quoted by PvtIdaho:

...streaming brown liquid behind it.
Yea, that's what I thought it was, too.

(See Post #2492.)

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #2498
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post

(See Post #2492.)

NFE
Glad I'm not the only one that laughed at it.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #2499
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post

(See Post #2492.)

NFE
Old 01-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #2500
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,253
Another funny pucker factor moment many years ago. I wish droid phones had been around then.

We get a call at the station that Delta is having some issues with a 757 sitting at the gate being worked on. Issues with the fuel system. They think they have the issue fixed but want us to do a standby in case anything goes wrong.

We head over there. It's still early morning, barely light. Our chief goes and talks to the maintenance crew while we sit back on the edge of the ramp watching....I guess about 100 yards.

"ok guys, stand by, their going to give it a try." The engine starts spooling up while all the mechanics are standing by watching. Whoosh! As they put fuel to it a big white ball of vaporized fuel blows out of the exhaust but doesn't light. It slowly drifts across the ramp.

"Stand by, they are going to check a couple of things out." I tell the guy riding with me, "hey, this might get entertaining!"

"Ok they are going to try it again." All this time there is one mechanic that seems to think he will see something wrong by shining his flashlight in the exhaust end of the engine. We watch him back away from the engine.

It spools up and again their comes the big ball of unburned fuel but this time it lights off. Holy shit it was an awesome but uneventful fireball that lasted only a few seconds but I looked at the area of the engine and that one mechanic was no where to be found.

"ok guys, we're good, they are going to tow it to the hangar."

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #2501
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
Sounds like they had an ignition or fuel control issue on light off. Standard procedure before doing a start in this situation - where I work - is to do a 'dry motor'. You go through the start process except you turn off the ignition and leave the fuel in the shut-off position. The engine will turn and blast out the excess fuel laying inside and send it out the back. The next real start will therefore have hopefully not all this fuel laying there with the possible fireball. I just usually watch for excessive engine temps on light-off and have the guy outside watch things real close to make sure the start isn't abnormal.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #2502
Robert Ford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Sounds like they had an ignition or fuel control issue on light off. Standard procedure before doing a start in this situation - where I work - is to do a 'dry motor'. You go through the start process except you turn off the ignition and leave the fuel in the shut-off position. The engine will turn and blast out the excess fuel laying inside and send it out the back. The next real start will therefore have hopefully not all this fuel laying there with the possible fireball. I just usually watch for excessive engine temps on light-off and have the guy outside watch things real close to make sure the start isn't abnormal.

We do that in the USAF as well, but still, lighting off a green engine can be entertaining!
Robert Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #2503
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ford View Post
We do that in the USAF as well, but still, lighting off a green engine can be entertaining!
Most of the fun and games seems to happen with 'green' or new engine installations. If we don't purge the fuel systems of all the inhibiters they put in them at assembly, the first light off becomes a real pain in the ass. I've seen it all - tail of aircraft obscured by fire ball, sparks and soot, blow torches or good ol' smoke shows. The high temp ratings of newer engines (sometimes 1000 degrees for 5 second as an example) give you lots of leeway before things get hurt.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #2504
painterjohn
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Pissed Hollywood screws up history... again!

I saw Redtails last weekend.. Hollywood RUINED the story of these pilots!!
painterjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #2505
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,666

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: