ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 370 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #2716
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer
 
Beemer Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown WV
Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Dumb comment.
Ya like these?
WV motto: One Big Happy Family -- Really!

Q: Why did OJ Simpson want to move to West Virginia? Everyone has the
A:Same DNA.
A little touchy there... You must be an ex squid....
BTW WV is were I live, not where I was raised......
__________________
Bad decisions make great stories!

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #2717
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer
 
dfwscotty's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Oddometer: 3,236
Was sent to me by a friend via email....tried tracking down the original to be able to copy the forum code, no luck. Cool toy.

http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/cockpit1.htm
__________________
Traffick911

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #2718
anonny
What could go wrong?
 
anonny's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Beautiful Revelstoke BC
Oddometer: 5,512
Dune gooning

Dune Gooning from Shannon Black on Vimeo.



Having fun In my Malibu from Shannon Black on Vimeo.

__________________
Kawasaki H1 build thread

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #2719
Gunner45
Out on the trail
 
Gunner45's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Utah, USA
Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post


OV-1D Mohawk.
A friend made the poster.
Cool! My dad was a TO in a Mohawk in 66. This last November I got to go with him to the OV-1 mohawk association reunion in Vegas. It was great to finaly put a face to the names I had heard since I was a little
kid.

__________________
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast"

Gunner45 screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 12:05 AM
Gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #2720
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Near Cortland NY
Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
Was sent to me by a friend via email....tried tracking down the original to be able to copy the forum code, no luck. Cool toy.

http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/cockpit1.htm

I wonder if the cockpit camera is available on the seat-back system?
__________________
---->>Thanks for the rotor, guys!<<----
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #2721
ParrotheadJeff
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Sad news



I've been rather withdrawn since I got word yesterday morning that one of my online friends and blog buddies had passed. Captain Carroll "Lex" Lefon had been the XO of the TOPGUN (as he said - one word, all CAPS) aggressor squadron, had commanded a squadron of his own, and been an exemplary husband, father, and friend. I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, but we corresponded via email and I always felt like a welcome friend. He also had a really great blog - Neptunus Lex.

We lost Lex on Tuesday morning when the F-21 Kfir he was flying as a civilian contractor crashed near the west gate of NAS Fallon. Lex's blog is still live and there is a memorial post from one of his guest bloggers who's still an active duty Hornet pilot. Be sure to check out the 1000+ comments on that one. The Secretary of the Navy even sent a personal note with his condolences. I highly recommend stopping by and reading through the archives. There is an awesome amount of humor and wit, but even more wisdom.

I'll be hoisting a Guinness (as he would say - for strength!) tomorrow evening in his memory



This pic came from a post called Camping Day One. Lex had to go up to Pt. Mugu for training in the Kfir when he first got his new job with ATAC. Needing to take the budget route, he pressed his R1150GS into service and camped out on the beach. Yes, I was more than just a little jealous when Lex took his GS on a road trip to go beach camping so he could fly fighter jets

Godspeed and blue skies, Lex. You will be sorely missed and I'll keep your family, friends, and colleagues in my prayers. Thanks again for everything
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #2722
mr_magicfingers
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
I fell out of an airplane once.
Quincy by any chance?

mr_magicfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #2723
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 100,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post


I've been rather withdrawn since I got word yesterday morning that one of my online friends and blog buddies had passed. Captain Carroll "Lex" Lefon had been the XO of the TOPGUN (as he said - one word, all CAPS) aggressor squadron, had commanded a squadron of his own, and been an exemplary husband, father, and friend. I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, but we corresponded via email and I always felt like a welcome friend. He also had a really great blog - Neptunus Lex.

We lost Lex on Tuesday morning when the F-21 Kfir he was flying as a civilian contractor crashed near the west gate of NAS Fallon. Lex's blog is still live and there is a memorial post from one of his guest bloggers who's still an active duty Hornet pilot. Be sure to check out the 1000+ comments on that one. The Secretary of the Navy even sent a personal note with his condolences. I highly recommend stopping by and reading through the archives. There is an awesome amount of humor and wit, but even more wisdom.

I'll be hoisting a Guinness (as he would say - for strength!) tomorrow evening in his memory



This pic came from a post called Camping Day One. Lex had to go up to Pt. Mugu for training in the Kfir when he first got his new job with ATAC. Needing to take the budget route, he pressed his R1150GS into service and camped out on the beach. Yes, I was more than just a little jealous when Lex took his GS on a road trip to go beach camping so he could fly fighter jets

Godspeed and blue skies, Lex. You will be sorely missed and I'll keep your family, friends, and colleagues in my prayers. Thanks again for everything

So sorry to hear that. May he rest in peace.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #2724
ParrotheadJeff
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Thank you, Klay
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #2725
slideways
permanent ex-pat
 
slideways's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Ocean Dweller
Oddometer: 5,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_magicfingers View Post
Quincy by any chance?

Yes the World Freefall Convention was a blast.
__________________
“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”



Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #2726
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 5,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-D View Post
There is one here...or there was...not listed as in the inventory now....Hmmmmm....

http://www.beechcraftheritagemuseum.org/

...and you can go into it. I went with a friend and we were the only two people there. They gave us the run of the place, turning lights on for us as we entered different halls, then leaving us alone to enjoy the collection. It's definitely worth a side trip if you find yourself in the area, just south of Nashville. They have a ridiculous collection of Staggerwings there too. You can do the whole museum in 1-2 hours, and that's taking your time.

They've also got this oddity...

Thanks a lot for the heads up on this museum as I didn't even know such a place existed in our neck of the woods. I took my kids there today and we had a great time.
The Starship.

Turbine Bonanza conversion with some very large aux tanks for RTW trips.

The Mystery Ship racer.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #2727
Flying-D
Just Passing Through
 
Flying-D's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Oddometer: 2,570
^^^Glad you enjoyed it. I do the airplane museum thing everywhere I go, and they are everywhere! I had a nice trip to the "Return to Trenton" rally and squeezed in the Canadian Air Force Museum Trenton ON), The Curtiss Wright Museum (New York), and the USAF Museum in one road trip!
__________________
It's really all just stuff...and in the end, none of it means shit.
Flying-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #2728
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gernick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Far Western New York
Oddometer: 3,615
Thanks for pointing out the Curtiss Museum. Didn't even know it existed.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #2729
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick View Post
Thanks for pointing out the Curtiss Museum. Didn't even know it existed.
If you mean the one in Hammondsport NY: It's a good one!

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #2730
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gernick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Far Western New York
Oddometer: 3,615
Sweeeeeet.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014