User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 278 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #2731
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a

Untitled from Nep Lex on Vimeo.

The friend whose passing I noted earlier made this video only last month. The imagery is great, but I really like the music, too. The second song is eerily fitting these days.

Thanks for a final great video, Lex
Old 03-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #2732
AHdrvr
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I've often wondered why they left the engines out on the wing tips if they're going to be interconnected.

Would it not be a little more compact (or safe for the ground crew) if they kept the engines inboard, maybe on top of the fuselage and just ran a main gear with shafts out to the wingtips?
Survivability. The osprey was designed for combat. At least that is the theory. The distance between the engines makes it less likely that they would both take battle damage, and very unlikely that one engine catastrophically failing would take the other engine out. No drive shafts through the wings means there are no long drive shafts to get shot up and fail. At least not as the primary means of powering the rotors. The concept of a helicopter/plane thingy that doesn't have the wing surface to glide, but doesn't have favorable or as far as I know even survivable autorotative characteristics still scares me though.
AHdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #2733
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHdrvr View Post
Survivability. The osprey was designed for combat. At least that is the theory. The distance between the engines makes it less likely that they would both take battle damage, and very unlikely that one engine catastrophically failing would take the other engine out. No drive shafts through the wings means there are no long drive shafts to get shot up and fail. At least not as the primary means of powering the rotors. The concept of a helicopter/plane thingy that doesn't have the wing surface to glide, but doesn't have favorable or as far as I know even survivable autorotative characteristics still scares me though.
Are you an AH64 driver?

Remember that the Osprey still has drive shafts in the wings, as the rotors are linked mechanically in case of engine failure.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #2734
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:

That's true for the osprey, but I was referring to the civilian version that AW is working on.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #2735
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post

Untitled from Nep Lex on Vimeo.

The friend whose passing I noted earlier made this video only last month. The imagery is great, but I really like the music, too. The second song is eerily fitting these days.

Thanks for a final great video, Lex
Great stuff. What's the name of the second song (who sings it)?

Condolences on the loss of your friend...
Hardware02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #2736
ParrotheadJeff

Thanks, Hardware.

One of my friends on Facebook who also knew Lex says that the second song is "Timshel" by Mumford and Sons.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #2737
AHdrvr
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Are you an AH64 driver?

Remember that the Osprey still has drive shafts in the wings, as the rotors are linked mechanically in case of engine failure.

Yes I am. I should have prefaced my post by saying I am just making observations of the Osprey. I am not trained on this aricraft. While it is my understanding that there is a driveshaft through the wings, the concept is redundancy. It would take both a driveshaft and an engine failure to lose one effective rotor system.
AHdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #2738
06ltd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Yes I am. I should have prefaced my post by saying I am just making observations of the Osprey. I am not trained on this aricraft. While it is my understanding that there is a driveshaft through the wings, the concept is redundancy. It would take both a driveshaft and an engine failure to lose one effective rotor system.
That's really interesting, I had always assumed it was to get enough clearance for those huge freaking rotors (props? :)). Never occurred to me it was for survivability. Learn something new every day
06ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #2739
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06ltd View Post
That's really interesting, I had always assumed it was to get enough clearance for those huge freaking rotors (props? :)). Never occurred to me it was for survivability. Learn something new every day
Having the engines out on the wing tips also simplifies the main power train....that drive shaft through the wings (and the gear box at each end) would get way too heavy to be practical if it was designed with the durability necessary for continuous use, as it would be in the case of a central power system.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #2740
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,649
I forgot to put up some pics from my day on base at NAF El Centro for a Blue Angels practice a couple weeks ago.

After that, we hung out at the end of runway 26 for a while.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #2741
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
Gorgeous pics!
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #2742
ParrotheadJeff

I miss going to El Centro! Sure, it was a long drive from San Diego when compared to Miramar, but it was always a good, more "down home" airshow that reminded me of what Miramar had been like back in the 1980's.

Thanks for posting the great pics
Old 03-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #2743
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
Gorgeous pics!
Thanks man.

Jeff, one of the best things is hanging outside the fence at the end of 26 for the Angels' practice. The first thing you encounter is the four primary Hornets blasting overhead, then #6 comes over super low and extremely fast and rotates in a big way right at the fence. It literally blew the hat off of one of my friends, and almost knocked he and one other guy off their ladders. It warmed us up real nice, and even on base as close as we were later on that day, you will not get that close to a fast moving jet as you do when hanging out at the fence.

#6 came in so fast that I didn't have time to prepare for a good shot.

And that is shot at 70mm. No long reach there. He was that close.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #2744
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,672
Fantastic pictures.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #2745
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,023
El Sweato is without a doubt the best place to watch the Blues.

Even if they're a bunch of high maintenance prima donnas.

When I was instructing in A-4s we'd do dets out there. In the winter when the Blues are there, everything has to come to a stop on the entire Effing field when the pretty boys call for "Blue Angel Taxi" or a "Blue Angel Recovery." No aircraft can move anywhere for any reason. If you get caught in a Blue Angel moment and happen to be taxiing between the runway and and your flight line you have stop where ever you are and just wait. Sitting and sweating for 20 minutes while sucking down the exhaust of the aircraft turning in front of you gets old pretty fast.

For a little entertainment we started calling Ground for "Skyhawk taxi" and telling Tower we were inbound for a "Skyhawk Recovery."

Later on that day one of the Smurfs sashayed over in his blue form fit flight suit and indignantly informed us (in our Ready Room) that we weren't allowed to do that.

Not a tactically sound move on his part.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: