User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 170 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #2896
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Yeah empty planes are a money loser. On one of my last Caravan flights the load consisted of a box of a dozen roses. fedex was experimenting with Sunday delivery service and I flew an empty 208 from Louisville to the sort hub in Indy, where I picked up the roses, then flew the roses to Cincinnati, then flew empty back to Louisville.

When I departed Cincinnati, the tower called me on climbout to advise me that my gear was still down. i guess they weren't used to seeing Caravans there.
vspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #2897
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,039
DHL had some contract Caravans that flew out of CVG - but the tower probably never said the gear was still down since they departed at around 0300. FedEx had, or still has, a Caravan run that goes from western Colorado into Denver, night, mea 16,000 ft, winter time. There's another FedEx Caravan run that goes up from Ontario to Bishop and Mammoth Lakes, CA - lee side of the Sierra's - most of the pilots on that run wear bicycle helmets.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #2898
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

This flight was on a Sunday morning (about11:00 am) and CVG wasn't part of my regular run. I just got stuck with it because the Sunday thing was new and my SDF based Caravan was handy.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #2899
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
DHL had some contract Caravans that flew out of CVG - but the tower probably never said the gear was still down since they departed at around 0300. FedEx had, or still has, a Caravan run that goes from western Colorado into Denver, night, mea 16,000 ft, winter time. There's another FedEx Caravan run that goes up from Ontario to Bishop and Mammoth Lakes, CA - lee side of the Sierra's - most of the pilots on that run wear bicycle helmets.
I guess those guys are on o2 huh? I think 10000ft was our max due to 135 regs, and I doubt the airplane could have gone much higher anyway with a good load of freight and a little ice just to make it interesting.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #2900
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

If you're from the midwest or have flown a lot in the midwest you get to know where the lurker cells are likely going to be. For sure they can be anywhere but somehow, after awhile, you know where the least friendly ones will be or at least consistently be in that area. I guess I'm sick, but a super cell is a magnificent thing to watch or fly around. I became very gleeful one day when I saw cells the size of silver dollars on the screen lined up sweeping northeast and realizing that it covered all of Columbus, Ohio, and thinking, wow, they are really getting the shit now - glad its not me. A ship captain told me once, "You know, right now somewhere on the planet someone is getting the shit scared out of them" which I translated: yep, either on a boat or a plane. I wish I took more pictures of amazing cells. One giant one on the south end of Lake Michigan, it seemed as wide as the lake, just sitting there, a convergence of all that moisture and the proper flow - it sat there for 4 hours. Or flying from ORD to CVG, getting in an alley, surrounded on both sides, tops over well over 40k, and somehow just wide enough for a smooth ride, and any turn in the airway was magically open and not closed off - a tense but nearly unbelievable bit of beauty and luck, at least 200nm in the maze - fortunately it was day time..
Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #2901
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Trying to top some buildups I got a Caravan 208B, with some sort of load up to 15,000 ft in Indonesia. It was a struggle, and you had to surf the sides of the updrafts on the clouds to get some extra up-push. The downer was seeing that after all that work you see a wall ahead with tops above 30,000 ft. Funny thing, if you stay out of the bigger convective cellls in Indonesia, it is by far the smoothest air I've ever flown in - total and complete super thick glass. I've never seen winds aloft there above 18kts, 20,000 ft. Someone once reported 40 kts, but I am not so sure.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #2902
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 1,994
Adios trimotor

Here's a vid, allegedly from a Discovery Channel show in the works, of a 727 "landing" in a Mexican dry lake bed.

I'm not quite sure what the take away is, other than 727s don't do well with Navy landings.

Article on CNET: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...-what-happens/
Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #2903
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
I read it was something about landing nose wheel first. It took off with a crew on board that parachuted out and then it was taken over by remote control from the chase plane. Looks like they used a Cessna 337 as chase plane.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #2904
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,298
Or dont land with the nose brakes on.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #2905
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Or dont land with the nose brakes on.
Why not?

42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #2906
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 View Post
Why not?

A soft field is a different animal.

Spoken by someone who landed in a muddy field after an engine failure...with results similar to the 727.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #2907
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
A soft field is a different animal.

Spoken by someone who landed in a muddy field after an engine failure...with results similar to the 727.
My point.

42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #2908
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

The Embraer EMB110 Banderainte had a safety wired lever you could pull to collapse all three of the gear wheels. Presumably it was for if you're at V1 with a engine failure, etc. and on a unbalanced field its better to abort, pull the lever, and collapse the gear to slide to a stop somewhere more hospitable than where you would have ended up if you hadn't. I never had the opportunity to use it.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #2909
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #2910
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
70 years in the sand- Shot down, or pilot became lost, sometime April, 1942. Aircraft found the last week of March, 2012, intact and complete.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1146825...eat=directlink
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: