Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 396 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #2926
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_fly_low View Post
they key to it is, if you can afford it, fly often.
You have less time to forget what you did previously...

+1

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #2927
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
I am planning on picking up on my flying when I get out of school and hopefully can afford it. I figure I probably won't fly unless I have a plane of my own, so that's a requirement also.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #2928
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick View Post
Yeah. I was taking lessons 14 years ago..
Did the same thing in '98, until the school I was using lost their qualification. Always thought if I persued it again it'd be with a plane owned jointly with one or two trusted friends and a hired CFI.

*If* you bought and sold the plane right, you *could* all get yourselves certified for cheap.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #2929
06ltd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
When I worked as an instructor, some of my most frustrating students were the people who came in once every other month. Or the people who would fly five or six times a month and then disappear for half year. They never seemed to understand why their progress was so slow. It might seem a littler counter-intuitive, but the only way to save money on flight training is to do it regularly. Getting a private certificate (or any of them for that matter) will cost far more if spread over a year or two than it will if done in six months.
06ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #2930
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06ltd View Post
When I worked as an instructor, some of my most frustrating students were the people who came in once every other month. Or the people who would fly five or six times a month and then disappear for half year. They never seemed to understand why their progress was so slow. It might seem a littler counter-intuitive, but the only way to save money on flight training is to do it regularly. Getting a private certificate (or any of them for that matter) will cost far more if spread over a year or two than it will if done in six months.
It seems better to do it all at once, and make sure you can afford to fly on a regular basis once you have your license. What did it in for my dad and I was that we were forced to rent. He had sold his planes about 15 years before I was able to take any interest in flying. It cost a lot to rent, and we would only take the plane out once every few months. We stopped flying because he realized that he wasn't getting enough hours regularly enough to be safe in the air. If you are having trouble paying for the training, you might also have trouble staying current and safe.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #2931
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,832
Another day out on the Barry Goldwater bombing range today.

How close are we? This close......

It's a fucking spectacular way to spend a day.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #2932
mr_magicfingers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I came over to the US from the UK for a month to get my license. Better weather, more reliable flying. Flew 2-3 times a day and got my license in 40 hours/21 days. Spent the final week of my stay just signing out a 172 each morning and flying around florida. I think it's the best way to do it if you can spare the time as you just get completely into the learning zone. Oh and it's well worth doing ground school ahead of time, or at least studying the books otherwise your head is properly fried from it all.

A few years later I ended up living in Texas for 4 years and flew when I could afford to, usually once or twice a month, and also got my FAA license and my tailwheel signoff while I was there.

After I left the US I couldn't really afford to fly regularly and so I stopped, apart from a week's holiday learning basic bushflying at Andover Flight in New Jersey in a Supercub, which is the most fun flying I've ever done.

Nowadays I don't fly, in the UK it's just so expensive and heavily regulated (in Texas I paid $77/hr for a Warrior, in the UK it's nearer $250). I'm hoping in a couple of years to be able to afford a share in an old taildragger and take up flying again, otherwise I just can't fly regularly enough to be safe up there. Gotta fly regularly or just don't in my view.

Sure do miss it though.
mr_magicfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #2933
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath View Post

S.C.

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #2934
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
A10 pron. NICE!

I need to get myself a Cub one of these days. I want one oh so bad. I'd probably give up the bikes for one.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #2935
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,428
Quote:

Sweet.....I can hear the sound now.....
Old 05-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #2936
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Seems like we've run out of left over WWII iron bombs and are starting to use left overs from WWI.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #2937
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick View Post

I need to get myself a Cub one of these days. I want one oh so bad. I'd probably give up the bikes for one.
I'd love to get into a partnership with a Cub, Champ, 140 or something like that. I'm lucky enough to own a Skylane, but it would be neat to have access to a little taildragger to play around in. A partner(s) would help with the cost of the hanger, insurance and also with the maintenance.
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #2938
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Anyone been in the situation of being a Private Pilot previously, not current but regained a medical, and looking to jump back into the game?

I haven't flown since around '96, iirc, and I know a LOT has changed.
Just curious what all has changed, as well as the rigmarole of what had to be done to get recurrent (Flight time, ground traning, etc..).
That is my situation.

On another note, I have a good friend who is in a similar boat, but has been out of it much longer, has no (expired many moons ago) medical, and is entertaining the thought of maybe going for a sport pilot's licence, so he doesn't have to deal with getting a medical.
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #2939
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
Quote:

S.C.
Those are awesome!!!
Thanks for the new desktop!
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #2940
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
Anyone been in the situation of being a Private Pilot previously, not current but regained a medical, and looking to jump back into the game?

I haven't flown since around '96, iirc, and I know a LOT has changed.
Just curious what all has changed, as well as the rigmarole of what had to be done to get recurrent (Flight time, ground traning, etc..).
That is my situation.

On another note, I have a good friend who is in a similar boat, but has been out of it much longer, has no (expired many moons ago) medical, and is entertaining the thought of maybe going for a sport pilot's licence, so he doesn't have to deal with getting a medical.
AFAIK, BFR and you're legal. Have the instructor spend a little extra time with you and you should be good. Then get out (alone) and do a little flying to get comfortable in the cockpit before dragging anyone along with you. That's what I did after about a six-year layoff.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: