Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 198 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #3001
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
I forgot the term was "demonstrated"... it's been a while.

Of course, the capabilities demonstrated by a test pilot are not comparable to the abilities of a student.

On version of the 172 I was fond of was the 172XP... as I recall 195 hp and CS prop.

NFE
A nice plane a 172 on steroids.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #3002
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,090
It wasn't Cessna's fault but the early production run with those engines (6 cyl Continental IO-360's whatever dash series) were, to be kind, basically lemons. (another version with a higher prop speed eked out 210 hp, but that put it in the "high performance category). At the time I was actually warned by a sage old timer who had pilots license #300 or something, signed by one of the Wrights not to get in one. I figured if that's what he thought then I ought to trust him. In later years I flew one and, well, I'm here. It does bring up some of the other not so well known versions of the old types that are really underrated: The Piper Dakota comes to mind. Easily does everything a 182 does, is probably cheaper and not prone to tweaking the engine mounts.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #3003
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
It wasn't Cessna's fault but the early production run with those engines (6 cyl Continental IO-360's whatever dash series) were, to be kind, basically lemons. (another version with a higher prop speed eked out 210 hp, but that put it in the "high performance category). At the time I was actually warned by a sage old timer who had pilots license #300 or something, signed by one of the Wrights not to get in one. I figured if that's what he thought then I ought to trust him. In later years I flew one and, well, I'm here. It does bring up some of the other not so well known versions of the old types that are really underrated: The Piper Dakota comes to mind. Easily does everything a 182 does, is probably cheaper and not prone to tweaking the engine mounts.
Its 195 hp Continental 10-360-K fuel injected engine is actually the 210 hp Continental, but all the muffling required to meet FAA/EPA standards sucked up 15 horses.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #3004
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

I am edified.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #3005
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a

I've gotten used to seeing privately owned MiGs at airshows in recent years, but I can also remember what it was like when they were still shrouded in Soviet secrecy. The MiGs in these pictures aren't privately owned warbirds and the pictures are from several decades ago. Note also that the markings aren't from any country that was supposed to have these aircraft back then

There's plenty more info and many more pics here
Old 05-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #3006
rivers
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Nice!

rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #3007
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

In the mid to late 90's you could go to Russia and plonk down some US dollars and get a 30 min to 1 hour ride 30 in just about any Mig - including aerobatics, and supersonic flight - starting fee was $5000. It would have been a tough choice between the Mig 25 and the iconic 21. When the US collapses maybe we'll have the same opportunity here. I'd pick the F16.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #3008
jhansen
Harley Rider

Oddometer: 252
Took this using my iPhone out the window of my flight back from ORD to IAH this evening, somewhere over northern Oklahoma I think.

UAL 1744 B757-300. Legacy COA aircraft.
AMA Life Member
jhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #3009
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,796
I saw this rare Cessna 206 today at a fly-in fishing camp. Its got a turbine engine and five blade reversing prop. The owner says it performs very well. I didn't ask how much it cost for the conversion.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #3010
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,392
Wow.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #3011
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

That's a Soloy conversion, done in Olympia, WA. 420-450 shp Allison (now Rolls Royce) turbo prop, MT prop. I think it is about 450K for the conversion. A great engine on floats, especially with reverse (docking and what not - but don't hit the dock!). It does burn 25-28 gallons per hour though. The float 206 with the 300 hp I0520 piston is considered a water-hog. Maybe that's why the reg on that plane says C-FHOG - For former Hog. That conversion would be fun on wheels too.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #3012
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,433
I don't know small airplanes, I can recognise a 337, a cherokee 6 and thats about it, I work mainly with rotors, but that is baddass, I wonder if Honey Badger is the pilot?

wonder how old that plane would be and combined with the cost, does the value of the conversion work out?

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #3013
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
That's a Soloy conversion, done in Olympia, WA. 420-450 shp Allison (now Rolls Royce) turbo prop, MT prop. I think it is about 450K for the conversion. A great engine on floats, especially with reverse (docking and what not - but don't hit the dock!). It does burn 25-28 gallons per hour though. The float 206 with the 300 hp I0520 piston is considered a water-hog. Maybe that's why the reg on that plane says C-FHOG - For former Hog. That conversion would be fun on wheels too.
The plane had a three blade prop on it before, but he had it replaced with the five blade one after it nicked a dock. I think the engine had to be rebuilt too. It takes a while to start and spool up the turbine to get the prop biting air. He had pushed off the dock on a windy day and somehow got pointed back at the dock when thrust became available. No brakes on floatplanes.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #3014
ParrotheadJeff

Oddometer: n/a
Glad the pilot's OK!

Captain Eddie taxiing his Fairey Firefly at Aviation Nation 2007

Captain Eddie has one of the few (if not the only) Fairey Firefly still flying. Well, it looks like it's going to be on the ground longer than anyone wanted it to be. There was a bit of an incident at Wings over Gillespie this past weekend and the airplane ended up in the dirt on its belly. Eddie is OK and the plane is a bit banged up, but should be fairly easy to repair. There's a series of photos taken during the incident here.
Best wishes to Captain Eddie for quick repairs and a speedy return to flight
Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #3015
Daniii
Banned

Oddometer: 22,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post
Captain Eddie taxiing his Fairey Firefly at Aviation Nation 2007

Captain Eddie has one of the few (if not the only) Fairey Firefly still flying. Well, it looks like it's going to be on the ground longer than anyone wanted it to be. There was a bit of an incident at Wings over Gillespie this past weekend and the airplane ended up in the dirt on its belly. Eddie is OK and the plane is a bit banged up, but should be fairly easy to repair. There's a series of photos taken during the incident here.
Best wishes to Captain Eddie for quick repairs and a speedy return to flight
Looks like he got the engine stopped before the wheels up landing. Good job.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: