Cool2

Anybody got a link to the film where the farmers put on a fly in? TIA
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #3017
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,364
A gentle reminder folks...

Check those NOTAMs before venturing to another airport. I'm as guilty as anyone of not checking when I'm just hopping over to one of the nearby fields, but Friday evening we closed down for air show practice then again yesterday for the show itself. The aerobatics box was right over our main runway and we had warbirds and jets using up a good bit of the surrounding area which, by the way, was waivered to allow manuevering that would normally be considered aerobatic so it was a dangerous place to be. I gave a couple transients permission to land on Friday when I could work it in, but things were hectic on Saturday with a dozen warbirds in the air at one point and I had to warn off several transients. And for heaven's sake, if someone identifying themselves as "Air Boss" warns you off and you decide to slink away please give him the courtesy of acknowledging that you heard him and are complying. You have no idea what it does to his stress level when there's an act in progress and he doesn't know whether the transient is going to wander in blissfully unaware and get creamed. I'm not mad and you're not in trouble (after all, I'm not the FAA - I'm just some smuck who got roped into working the show), I just want to know everyone is going to be safe. But rest assured the FAA is on the field during the show and they'll have your ass if you land while the NOTAM is in effect.

The scariest are the old taildraggers sans radio. I'm all for flying around in a J3 with the crappy handheld turned off. I do a lot of that myself. But I about had a heart attack last year at another show when I saw a Champ approaching while aerobatics were in progress. Another one lined up to land on our grass strip which we'd X'd out for parking. Fortunately both figured things out and high tailed out of there. Well, at least as fast as 65hp could get them.

Check those NOTAMs.

EDIT: And when you're wandering around the ramp with your kid looking at the warbirds and spot a Harpoon, the proper reaction is, "Oh my God! Look! It's a fucking Harpoon! How cool is that? And check out that nose art!". The improper reaction is to cover your precious snowflake's eyes and go into the FBO to bitch at the guy behind the counter that there's a picture of a topless chick on one of the planes. You want us to cover her nipples with electrical tape so your snot nosed curtain climber won't be scarred for life? Nice sense of history there, fella.

PunkinHead screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 09:31 AM
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #3018
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Check those NOTAMs before venturing to another airport. I'm as guilty as anyone of not checking when I'm just hopping over to one of the nearby fields, but Friday evening we closed down for air show practice then again yesterday for the show itself. The aerobatics box was right over our main runway and we had warbirds and jets using up a good bit of the surrounding area which, by the way, was waivered to allow manuevering that would normally be considered aerobatic so it was a dangerous place to be. I gave a couple transients permission to land on Friday when I could work it in, but things were hectic on Saturday with a dozen warbirds in the air at one point and I had to warn off several transients. And for heaven's sake, if someone identifying themselves as "Air Boss" warns you off and you decide to slink away please give him the courtesy of acknowledging that you heard him and are complying. You have no idea what it does to his stress level when there's an act in progress and he doesn't know whether the transient is going to wander in blissfully unaware and get creamed. I'm not mad and you're not in trouble (after all, I'm not the FAA - I'm just some smuck who got roped into working the show), I just want to know everyone is going to be safe. But rest assured the FAA is on the field during the show and they'll have your ass if you land while the NOTAM is in effect.

The scariest are the old taildraggers sans radio. I'm all for flying around in a J3 with the crappy handheld turned off. I do a lot of that myself. But I about had a heart attack last year at another show when I saw a Champ approaching while aerobatics were in progress. Another one lined up to land on our grass strip which we'd X'd out for parking. Fortunately both figured things out and high tailed out of there. Well, at least as fast as 65hp could get them.

Check those NOTAMs.

EDIT: And when you're wandering around the ramp with your kid looking at the warbirds and spot a Harpoon, the proper reaction is, "Oh my God! Look! It's a fucking Harpoon! How cool is that? And check out that nose art!". The improper reaction is to cover your precious snowflake's eyes and go into the FBO to bitch at the guy behind the counter that there's a picture of a topless chick on one of the planes. You want us to cover her nipples with electrical tape so your snot nosed curtain climber won't be scarred for life? Nice sense of history there, fella.
+1on the NOTAMS and here it is just a click away. I always give this sight a quick look before flying anywhere.
http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605

slideways screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 11:43 AM
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #3019
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Is "Air Boss" a common identifier for a local controller during an airshow?
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #3020
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
Is "Air Boss" a common identifier for a local controller during an airshow?
Here's a good explanation.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #3021
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 826

I shot this the other day. See if you can spot the tracks of the LR-60 that went off the runway.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #3022
kabagram
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by slideways View Post
+1on the NOTAMS and here it is just a click away. I always give this sight a quick look before flying anywhere.
http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html
Here's another resource for flying.

http://www.baseops.net/

A friend buildt this site primarily for military reference and is used by most military pilots for flight planning. Granted, many of the links are military oriented, but a great many of them apply to GA pilots. Bird avoidance, midair collision avoidance, charts, sunset-sunrise, strip clubs, time and distance calcuations, etc.

Fly safe!
kabagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #3023
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I shot this the other day. See if you can spot the tracks of the LR-60 that went off the runway.

Very nice. I think I spotted them.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #3024
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Here's a good explanation.
Cool. Thanks.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #3025
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabagram View Post
Here's another resource for flying.

http://www.baseops.net/

A friend buildt this site primarily for military reference and is used by most military pilots for flight planning. Granted, many of the links are military oriented, but a great many of them apply to GA pilots. Bird avoidance, midair collision avoidance, charts, sunset-sunrise, strip clubs, time and distance calcuations, etc.

Fly safe!
That is a cool site.

Another good one for flight planning is

http://skyvector.com/?ll=27.26658333...hart=37&zoom=3

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #3026
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 6,568
What really sucks is when the NOTAMS are getting updated and you're on final to the homedrome and the tower hasn't gotten the word yet.

Finding out the ILS is jacked by breaking out of the weather at night and discovering yourself 800 feet over a mall eight miles from the end of the runway is a bit of a shock.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #3027
Beamer Pilot
Obviously a major malf...

Oddometer: 189
If you head North (Canada) this is your best flight planning tool http://www.flightplanning.navcanada....n&TypeDoc=html
We also subscribe to Universal Flight Plan but it’s costly for private pilots.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #3028
tenderfoot
PRJ

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Very nice. I think I spotted them.
Veering off to the right about halfway down the runway ?
And thanks nice video, ugly little canyon and crossing highway on the approach though.
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #3029
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post

Yes.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #3030
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
And thanks nice video, ugly little canyon and crossing highway on the approach though.
It can be tricky if the controllers leave you high and drop you in late. At that point, it's all about managing the energy.

But that's like saying: Measure twice, cut once.

It's kinda obvious.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: