User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 167 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #3061
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,038
Metroliner? Whacko plane - but like a lot of Whacko's pretty entertaining. Anyone want to hear Metroliner stories?
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #3062
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Got to get to 100,000 posts by Christmas: Metroliner: stick pusher going off on 3/4 mile final at 300 AGL at night...go around, couldn't turn it off, switches, or CB's, turning off all electrical means dark cockpit and more importantly elevator/stab trim full-up...7.7 minutes of circling back to another runway at treetop level, both pilots pulling like mad, with full power, I had my feet on the panel, went to slow down from 200 kys to land, started a descent into the trees, touched down at 155 kts, rolled to a stop, stick pusher still operating, yoke cemented to the panel. Maintenance came out and the next day found it was stuck at 260 lbs push force.

Next up...shedding a prop....
Old 06-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #3063
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,891
Another question about the flight simulator: I've gotten handy at flying the 737-400 around. What's a ball-park final approach speed? I've been landing it at around 165 knots with the airplane heavy.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #3064
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Another question about the flight simulator: I've gotten handy at flying the 737-400 around. What's a ball-park final approach speed? I've been landing it at around 165 knots with the airplane heavy.
Slow enough to make your turn off without cookin the brakes.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #3065
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I turn on the thrust reversers.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #3066
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

That seems high. If it is at maximum landing weight (not maximum takeoff weight) and you have full flaps it should be around 135 KIAS. A 737-700, certified as with a higher gross weight than a 737-400 is down at 115 KIAS - albeit just about empty with standard fuel reserves. For something realistic maybe add 30,000 lbs for a full load of passengers/ bags and 9000 lbs for decent fuel reserves to the empty weight and try 135 KIAS
Old 06-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #3067
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Thrust reversers are an added deaccleration bonus but are not used in calculating landing distance. I know how much a grammar and spelling person you are so I know you'll not cheat.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #3068
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I've been landing at takeoff weight, for the most part. One of the canned flights in FS2004 is landing at O'Hare in the winter, and when I fly the 737 in on that flight, it floats down much more slowly. I'll try changing the fuel load and see how it goes.

I have a blast with the simulator...one of my pastimes is to abruptly bring the throttles to idle during a flight and then see if I can make an airport. Yikes!
Old 06-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #3069
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

TACA Airlines (El Salvador) had a dual engine flameout in a 737 due to water ingestion (heavy rain) and landed on a two lane road on top of a levee in Louisiana, and I think it was night. So step up to it.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #3070
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I turn on the thrust reversers.
Those help.

Is there an arresting gear option?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #3071
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
TACA Airlines (El Salvador) had a dual engine flameout in a 737 due to water ingestion (heavy rain) and landed on a two lane road on top of a levee in Louisiana, and I think it was night. So step up to it.
Where were they heading?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #3072
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Either Houston or New Orleans.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #3073
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,133
From WIki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TACA_Flight_110

Quote:
Accident

Investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) revealed that during descent from FL 350 (35,000 feet / 11,000 metres) in preparation for their impending arrival at New Orleans' Moisant Field, the pilots noticed areas of light to moderate precipitation in their path, depicted as green and yellow areas on their weather radar, as well as "some isolated red cells" indicative of heavy precipitation to both sides of their intended flight path.[2]

The flight entered clouds at FL 300 (30,000 feet / 9,100 metres), the crew selecting "continuous ignition" and turning on engine anti-ice to protect their turbofan engines from the effects of precipitation and icing, either of which is capable of causing a flameout, where the engines lose all power. Despite flying a route between the two areas of heavy precipitation shown on radar, they encountered heavy rain, hail, and turbulence. Passing through 16,500 feet (5,000 m), both engines flamed out, leaving the jet gliding with neither engine thrust nor electrical power. The auxiliary power unit (APU) was started as the plane descended through 10,500 feet (3,200 m), restoring electrical power. While attempts to "windmill start" the engines using the airflow generated by the plane's descent were unsuccessful, the pilots were later able to start them using the engine starters which were powered by the APU. However, neither engine would accelerate to normal idle speed, much less to a point where it was producing meaningful thrust. Attempts to advance the throttles only resulted in overheating of the engines, so they were once more shut down to avoid catastrophic failure. The pilots landed the airliner on a narrow grass levee at NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility in the Michoud area of eastern New Orleans, bringing the airplane to a safe stop.[2]
NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #3074
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Those help.

Is there an arresting gear option?

No. I wish!