User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 191 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #3076
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
This article by Peter Garrison talks about flameouts and mentions this incident:

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-to...tml?c=y&page=1

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #3077
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,068
Flameout and Metroliners, what a coincidence.

This didn't happen to me: Metroliner crossing a VOR right over an airport at 14,000 ft. The #2 engine throws one propeller blade or a four bladed prop, the next few things happen simultaneously, the blade punctures the cabin lacerating a passengers foot, the cabin depressurizes filling the cabin and cockpit with fog, the severley out of balance #2 engine twists in its mount and flames out, so much it also twists the leading edge of the wing on that side several degrees up the airplane also somehow rolls into something like a inverted flat spin, but probably a inverted spiral, which is what the pilots see when the fog clears a second or two later. The number 1 engine didn't like that violent rollover nor being upside down and it flames out. Pilots upside down but see the large airport right underneath. Somehow they manage to right the airplane, they believe by extending the landing gear while upside down, once level they try restarting but every time they descent below 170 kts the airplane, due to the severe wing twist, starts to stall . They try that once or twice more but decide to dead stick on the 9000 ft runway. Landing at 170 kts. The airplane was repaired and the captain went on to another carrier, although I was told he tended to fly hunched over paranoid like.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #3078
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,105
How bout a game?

I am in a bit of a foggy mood this morning, and don't know if we have done this before, but ehh...I don't care.

You win the lotto....get your millions, and you being the pilot that you are (and I still am, but not current by a long shot) you want to own a plane again....not something crazy like a F15 or anything, but lets say just a normal private plane....what would it be?

For me I have always loved these after I saw one rotting away at OJC years ago when learning to fly....I want one. I would upgrade the engines to 180's (I think there is a path to do that...I have been gone so long i think they are called STD)...I know that sounds funny but hay give me a break I ain't doin too well here

Anyway here is my dream plane....I always wanted to own one of these

I just re-read this and looked at my photos and did not name them....Apache is the twin 14-13 is the first single and swift is the bottom one....yes I was born at the wrong time, but I am thankfull for modern medicine......I think.

If we are going to do a single I would want this guy.

or this

FPGT72 screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 04:26 AM Reason: oops
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #3079
Beamer Pilot
Obviously a major malf...

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I am in a bit of a foggy mood this morning, and don't know if we have done this before, but ehh...I don't care.

You win the lotto....get your millions, and you being the pilot that you are (and I still am, but not current by a long shot) you want to own a plane again....not something crazy like a F15 or anything, but lets say just a normal private plane....what would it be?

For me I have always loved these after I saw one rotting away at OJC years ago when learning to fly....I want one. I would upgrade the engines to 180's (I think there is a path to do that...I have been gone so long i think they are called STD)...I know that sounds funny but hay give me a break I ain't doin too well here

Anyway here is my dream plane....I always wanted to own one of these

I just re-read this and looked at my photos and did not name them....Apache is the twin 14-13 is the first single and swift is the bottom one....yes I was born at the wrong time, but I am thankfull for modern medicine......I think.

If we are going to do a single I would want this guy.

or this
OK...Pilatus Porter PC-6 for me "Air America" movie...rings a bell? Kinda dating myself...
As for the Apache as we used to say that second engine will lead you to the crash site...could never maintain altitude on one. (Never flew one only it's bigger brother the Aztec)
As for the Globe Swift, a friend of mine had one...be ready to work the rudder on landing...many of them groundlooped due to being short coupled. (short wheelbase between main and tailwheel) good to get some taildragger experience on something more tame. It was ugly in a croswind.
Are you refering to an STC Suplemental Type Certificatethat allows you to install approved aftermarket equipment?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #3080
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Late '70's early 80's Cessna turbo 206, maybe with a Robertson STOL kit. Great IFR stability, carry a lot of crud (mountain bikes, camping gear) to back country places, get to 20,000+ ft if you have to, and you can put it on floats. Its slow 125-133 KTS and a gas pig (14-16 gph) though - but its the lottery, right? OK, then there's the Soloy turpo-prop conversion.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #3081
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,153
Win the small lottery? I'd learn how to fly and rent stuff that was interesting.

Win the Microsoft bazillionaire type lottery?

This. I don't even know if it's real. The Antilles G-21 Super Goose.

Always loved the lines of the Grumman Seaplanes.

It is real. http://www.antillesseaplanes.com/index.htm and I can't afford it.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."

wannaklr screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 07:27 AM
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #3082
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,168
If I won the lottery this would be at the top of the list.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #3083
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

I really want to quote that massive picture.

Got some seaplane love going on!!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #3084
Barike
Spindly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

Hmm, If I won the lottery... I'd probably start with a Cessna 185 and upgrade the engine to the IO-550 for a bit more pulling power. What can I say, I like taildraggers. And I could always throttle back and hang with the 170's fuel burn and speed wise.

Then again if I wanted to go out on a limb some I could get the H-295 Helio Courier that I've been dreaming about for 9 or 10 years.

My ultimate goal would be a PC-12. Decently fast cruise, good range, great carrying capacity. And still able to get in and out of short strips when lightly loaded. We ARE talking about having won the lottery here...

For a quick runabout type plane, I wouldn't mind having a Nemesis NXT though. Something to economically cruise at north of 300 for a thousand miles(ish)....

But that's mostly just the dreamings of a "pilot" with only .75 hours in his logbook.
Barike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #3085
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barike View Post
But that's mostly just the dreamings of a "pilot" with only .75 hours in his logbook.
I flew a glider once.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #3086
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

DHC-2 Beaver, 185, PC-6, 206....interesting choices. The lottery mindset is well at work....these plane represent getting away, not in a hurry, not some speedster to get one place to another, and represent versatility and some level adventure. Someone without a lottery mentality then the choices might be a very fast plane to get one place to another fast (IE business mentality). Outside of the retirement mentality most people play the lottery not necessarily because they want to be rich but because they don't want to be poor or are tired of being poor. But that's a whole 'nother subject.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #3087
Beamer Pilot
Obviously a major malf...

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Hmm, If I won the lottery... I'd probably start with a Cessna 185 and upgrade the engine to the IO-550 for a bit more pulling power. What can I say, I like taildraggers. And I could always throttle back and hang with the 170's fuel burn and speed wise.

Then again if I wanted to go out on a limb some I could get the H-295 Helio Courier that I've been dreaming about for 9 or 10 years.

My ultimate goal would be a PC-12. Decently fast cruise, good range, great carrying capacity. And still able to get in and out of short strips when lightly loaded. We ARE talking about having won the lottery here...

For a quick runabout type plane, I wouldn't mind having a Nemesis NXT though. Something to economically cruise at north of 300 for a thousand miles(ish)....

I'll let you in on a little secret... we all had .75 hours at one time...nothing to be ashamed of...
Old 06-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #3088
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,035
I'd go with this, right here. Then I'd just fly it for fun, do some freight hauling, make a little money here and there dropping skydivers or something. Maybe do some contract delivery...who knows? Milo Minderbinder Air...

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #3089
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Looks like a miniature Hercules.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #3090
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,168
Quote:

How about a 195 with a turbine conversion. For a bit more power.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: