Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 275 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #3226
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 22,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtIdaho View Post
Flared late, I think.
He was landing on 16R and the winds were about 230 at 19 gusting to 29 (right to left crosswind). The low hills around around the airport make it turbulent down low, especially in gusty conditions. FedEx piled up an MD-11 landing the opposite direction on that runway a few years ago in a similar bounce, pitch down PIO scenario. FedEx bounced it off the nose twice.

It looked like he either flared late or picked up a sinker in close. Either way he pulled back hard enough that the airplane skipped when the right main contacted (impacted?) the runway. It's hard to tell just how hard the first touch down was from the outside. If it was hard enough, it could have thrown the crew forward and that would account for the rapid nose down pitch. Since the only gear that touched was the right main, I don't think they hit that hard. My guess is that the pilot was in a hurry to get the nose wheel on the ground following a high work load approach, got task saturated or, at least fixated on the ground rush in close, and didn't realize that he was back in the air after the initial touch down. He pushed the yoke forward and was surprised when the nose kept going below the horizon.

Items in the overhead bins may have shifted...
Is this when the little old lady asks the pilot on the way out "did we land, or were we shot down?"
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #3227
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 22,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Wife got me a "discovery flight" for my birthday... FUN. Now I just need $80k...

teensy little thing... was worried I wasn't gonna fit.

Saw a special on that bird. Apparently they make and sell a shit load of them. The KISS principle exemplified.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #3228
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
worked on this today

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R2800

P&W R2800 radial!

Its going to be stripped internally, cleaned, painted and used for a display at a museum. Going to take what I can from the inside and sell for souvenirs on ebay.
Why do that? why not clean it up and make some parts cut away so people can actually see the complexity and with a handle in it some where, they can turn it and see it move. People may then have an appreciation of what mechanical engineering is.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #3229
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,028
and they STILL cost $300,000...

They are TEENY. I was a little worried there for a minute getting in but once I was in it was fine. Little tight on the peddles but everything else was quite roomy. Seriously wish I had the cash to get my license...

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #3230
Glacier Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
A helicopter is a collection of fast moving parts all wanting to go in the opposite direction.
Glacier Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #3231
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

If I knew then what I knew now, I wouldn't have bothered with a fixed wing licence (i only got about 6hrs), I would have gone straight to rotors.

In the end it didn't matter because I discovered heavy maintenance and am a pencil pusher I really like it .

Anyway, we do maintenance work for a 3rd party operator (the only 3rd party we do) and the have Jet rangers and some R44. They are good people and think they are doing Ok (they are - for their operation) but they came to our hanger one time, we had two 412's, a 212 and Long Ranger in work. Their jaw hit the floor....

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Old 06-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #3232
SJSharkfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
and they STILL cost $300,000...

They are TEENY. I was a little worried there for a minute getting in but once I was in it was fine. Little tight on the peddles but everything else was quite roomy. Seriously wish I had the cash to get my license...

I've seen some of your projects, and I predict a "making a helo out of spare parts" thread starting!

Dave
'02 R1150GS ADV "The Tank"

"I fire up the willing engine,responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime."

"Red Barchetta" By RUSH
SJSharkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #3233
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,952
I remember around twenty years ago, we had a local radio station that used to use one of these small little helicopters for traffic reports. We would be working all night doing checks on our BAE-146's to get them ready for the next day's flying. In the morning we would drag out our jets and do high power engine runs before we did our maintenance releases. Several times the little R-22 would hover by down the taxi way to get to the launch point. Things would go fine until they would fly into our turbulence and all hell would break lose. They would be heading in all directions in our jet blast - I'm surprised they never crashed. And they never seemed to learn from their past experiences.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #3234
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Pilot View Post
A helicopter is a collection of fast moving parts all wanting to go in the opposite direction.
I stay away from them...
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #3235
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkfan View Post
I've seen some of your projects, and I predict a "making a helo out of spare parts" thread starting!
Funny you should mention that...

Found a couple of "projects" for sale but as always I'm cash-poor. Emailed one to see if they would be interested in trading for some property I still have up near where they are, but I ain't holdin my breath.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #3236
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Quote:
Funny you should mention that...

Found a couple of "projects" for sale but as always I'm cash-poor. Emailed one to see if they would be interested in trading for some property I still have up near where they are, but I ain't holdin my breath.
and a helicopter will fix that!
Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #3237
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
Why do that? why not clean it up and make some parts cut away so people can actually see the complexity and with a handle in it some where, they can turn it and see it move. People may then have an appreciation of what mechanical engineering is.

Hay Ewe
Currently the engine is frozen up. Been pretty well abused. I dont know all the details, just know what the museum and owner have decided to do.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #3238
EvilGenius OP
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I stay away from them...
If you stand in the center all the parts fly away from you.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #3239
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,236
C337 is an affordable "dream plane" to purchase, not maintain. How about 24 spark plugs? Rear engine known to run hot (especially the turbo's) Mechanics I've known curse them find them a PITA. You do get a novel useful and safe design but you also a 150-155 kt airplane on 20-22 gallons per hour. Quite the din inside (and outside) too. Of the few thousand they made (thus not a total failure) they made about 500 that were used in Vietnam as USAF forward air controller planes, some with wing mounted rockets.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #3240
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,426
Human powered helicopter flies for 40 seconds just by pedaling hands and feet

http://www.wimp.com/humanhelicopter/

42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: