Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 271 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #3406
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Several of the actions require 3-5 inputs through menus or modes or imbedded screens. That's not so good. Notice no one was going after them, attacking and defending oneself would really ramp up the workload (which seems high to me already) on those display systems. Moving some of those sub screens seems sub optimal, too. There was the FMS CDU like display too. You get everything in multi screen, often buried, displays.
"So I went left to left with this Mig-29 and couldn't remember if I was supposed to hit CNTL-OPT-6 or SHFT-F6..."

I will admit I am jealous of "all those wonderful toys" that the guys (and gals) that fly the F-35 will get to play with. On the other hand, it does kind of take away all the old standard excuses for why you screwed up.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #3407
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,363
Quote:
Several of the actions require 3-5 inputs through menus or modes or imbedded screens. That's not so good. Notice no one was going after them, attacking and defending oneself would really ramp up the workload (which seems high to me already) on those display systems. Moving some of those sub screens seems sub optimal, too. There was the FMS CDU like display too. You get everything in multi screen, often buried, displays.
Absolutely not a fan of the MFD/CDU set up. It's okay when it's simple stuff, and it gives alot of info, but damn, a pilot sure can spend alot of time with his head down.

In my plane, turning on the radio used to be a 30 second task. Radio power on, select frequency, select antenna, key mike and speak.

Now there is a 16 step checklist which requires you to turn on the entire damned FMS, to include MFD/CDU displays. It's ridiculous.

Thank goodness for the UHF 3 radio. All you need is battery power. Turn it on, tune it in and speak.

Guess which radio get's used the most on the ground?

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #3408
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
Had the opportunity to fly one of these, a Boeing YUH-61, years after the fly-off competition was decided and the UH-60 Blackhawk was the winner.

IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #3409
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,226
I wonder if I should have gotten into helos instead of fixed wing in my so called career.. Seems like the work would be more varied and interesting, and one among other annoyances to deal with, no TSA.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #3410
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,550
If i knew now what i knew then i would have taken rotor wing lessons.
As it was i ended up in narrow body boeing maintenace as tech support and now i work for a large 40+ aircraft operator with 30+ rotors.
Sorry if thats a dissapointment but where we fly, what we fly and the stories make it much more exciting than i imagine driving a 737 around europe would be.
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #3411
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barike View Post
We can tell!

And to keep the thread kind of on track... If this were a real airplane, how well do you all think it would fly? I got the picture from www.dannychoo.com and I believe it's of an aircraft from an anime movie.
Reminds me of...

Looks like it would inherently be more stable than an F-117 or B-2 and with modern fly-by-wire technology, could easily fly.
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #3412
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Flat leading edges are a new one on me. And it might require landing gear. The significant anhedral wings would indicate ludicrously long legs...where to store those? Apparently no need to fare the engines. Vertical stability seems to be a completely forgotten. Do I have trouble suspending my disbelief? Is it a space plane? Other than than those minor points I hope congress funds it.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #3413
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,028
I hope your being sarcastic...

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #3414
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Of course I'm being sarcastic...because with those problems that's to keep them from funding it.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #3415
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosters2 View Post
Had the opportunity to fly one of these, a Boeing YUH-61, years after the fly-off competition was decided and the UH-60 Blackhawk was the winner.

That is pretty cool, never seen it before!

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #3416
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,028
Quote:
Of course I'm being sarcastic...because with those problems that's to keep them from funding it.
It doesnt need long legs cause the wings fold... It has feet, can take of vertically, and needs a 'droid to assist with flight control...

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #3417
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
If i knew now what i knew then i would have taken rotor wing lessons.
As it was i ended up in narrow body boeing maintenace as tech support and now i work for a large 40+ aircraft operator with 30+ rotors.
Sorry if thats a dissapointment but where we fly, what we fly and the stories make it much more exciting than i imagine driving a 737 around europe would be.
Wow, interesting point of view. I'm currently saving to do a bunch of flying lessons at the end of the year when work gets quiet.

I always intended to go rotary wing, but a recent acquaintance (Captain with a major airline) suggested I give fixed wing a try, pointing out that its cheaper and theres more scope of aircraft. I could even end up flying small, personal jets as they become more available.

I figure theres nothing to lose by at least doing some introductory training in fixed wing. I should also point out that I'm under no illusion about this becoming an exciting new career. At best it will be an expensive hobby and I'm fine with that. Its only money and fuel. Helo's have always grabbed my imagination, so it seemed the natural way to go for me.

Advice and comments from those that have gone before, much appreciated!
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #3418
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Advice on comments on that undertaking is a whole new thread. In short (for training and a career): Super fun. Super frustrating. Super expensive (training). In summary: Caveat emptor!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #3419
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow10 View Post

"Crab" into the wind.
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #3420
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow10 View Post
Wow, interesting point of view. I'm currently saving to do a bunch of flying lessons at the end of the year when work gets quiet.

I always intended to go rotary wing, but a recent acquaintance (Captain with a major airline) suggested I give fixed wing a try, pointing out that its cheaper and theres more scope of aircraft. I could even end up flying small, personal jets as they become more available.

I figure theres nothing to lose by at least doing some introductory training in fixed wing. I should also point out that I'm under no illusion about this becoming an exciting new career. At best it will be an expensive hobby and I'm fine with that. Its only money and fuel. Helo's have always grabbed my imagination, so it seemed the natural way to go for me.

read ALL of the I love helicopters thread / helicopters R us (or what ever its called)

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: