Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 196 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #3421
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
read ALL of the I love helicopters thread / helicopters R us (or what ever its called)

Hay Ewe
Done that. It took me weeks!

'nuff said. Problem solved!
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #3422
aclark79
Rotor Driver

Oddometer: 618
The most common traininer in the US is the R22. You will need at least 200 hours in helicopters to teach in it, due to insurance requirements. It also has some special requirements for time in it to solo and teach.

What all this means is that the old route of getting a a commercial license in the fixed wing first and then adding on a helicopter rating doesn't help you when you will be competing for jobs with guys with more time in helicopters and enough time in type and helos to meet the insurance requirements.

That said, if you just want to do it for fun and the money isnt and issue then go for it, any instructor will love you.

Vide, Aude, Tace

The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish

Experience is not what happens to a man, it is what a man does with what happens to him - Aldous Huxley
aclark79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #3423
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark79 View Post
The most common traininer in the US is the R22. You will need at least 200 hours in helicopters to teach in it, due to insurance requirements. It also has some special requirements for time in it to solo and teach.

What all this means is that the old route of getting a a commercial license in the fixed wing first and then adding on a helicopter rating doesn't help you when you will be competing for jobs with guys with more time in helicopters and enough time in type and helos to meet the insurance requirements.

That said, if you just want to do it for fun and the money isnt and issue then go for it, any instructor will love you.
The R22 is the only trainer in Australia, as far as I know. As I mentioned, I'm under no illusions about leaping into a new career. I'm about twenty years to late for that. It was more about bang for your buck, but I guess either way it still gets expensive.

Money certainly is an issue and I have to work extra hours and be very disciplined about stashing the cash. I'm pretty sure I won't be solo in 55 hours, but if it means paying a bit extra to have someone sitting beside me I'm quite happy to do it to go flying. As you mentioned, I'm sure the instructors won't argue.
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #3424
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,263
Dual for an R22 locally is $240 (US of course), and that's pretty reasonable as far as I know.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #3425
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-D View Post
Dual for an R22 locally is $240 (US of course), and that's pretty reasonable as far as I know.
That is what it is at my local FBO.. Dual on a 152 is $140 so I opted to do the PP fixed wing and then the rotorwing add on.

Some of the things to look for when looking at schools are that the school is a part 141 training facility, that there are 3 or 4 instructors to train with and take a close look at the aircraft they are using to make sure they are well maintained.

For the fixed wing part I highly recommend looking for a Cessna training center.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #3426
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,263
STOLEN...from the "Pic's you took last week thread," and submitted there by easyrider5258. The F-5 and it's brother, the T-38 always appeared so graceful to me. I know nothing of this aircraft's combat abilities, but it is a thing of beauty, for certain.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #3427
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspeed View Post
"Crab" into the wind.
Kidding aside, If you're serious about learning to fly keep in mind that there's a lot more to it than just steering the plane (or helo).

It sounds like you may be doing this in Australia. I don't know what is required to get certified as a pilot there but I would assume you'll have to pass some sort of written exam(s).

The "book" learning portion of the process is less exciting than the flying portion, but it is probably the most important. You could probably teach a monkey to steer a plane, but you can't teach him about aerodynamics and all of the other things things he needs to know to keep from killing himself (or getting a violation from the government). You also can't teach him sound judgement and critical thinking skills.

Learn all you can about weather, navigation, airspace, regulations, aerodynamics, your aircraft's systems and performance, etc. You can probably get the books and get started on these before you actually start taking lessons.

Sooner or later just about every pilot will get into a situation that requires just about all of their skill and knowledge to survive. I've been in a few of those in my 26 year flying career. The more you know, the safer you'll be, and the less likely you'll be to get in over your head to begin with, and there is always something new to learn about flying.

Good luck, and have fun. You won't regret your decision to learn to fly. Even though I fly for a "job" , I still enjoy every minute of it.

vspeed screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 09:11 AM
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #3428
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,077
I think that's a F20 version of the F5. They added avionics, some clean-up, and bigger engines and went out to sell it. They didn't get many takers, but looks like the Swiss bought it. Its not heavily armed but the plane had a 30,000 fpm climb capability. The Austrians expressed interest in it too, and maybe they bought it. In a unusual bit of candor or humor they said they'd be interested in it because they be on alert and then can climb up in a hurry and see who's attacking them so they'd know who to surrender to.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #3429
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
I think that's a F20 version of the F5. They added avionics, some clean-up, and bigger engines and went out to sell it. They didn't get many takers, but looks like the Swiss bought it. Its not heavily armed but the plane had a 30,000 fpm climb capability. The Austrians expressed interest in it too, and maybe they bought it. In a unusual bit of candor or humor they said they'd be interested in it because they be on alert and then can climb up in a hurry and see who's attacking them so they'd know who to surrender to.
Nope, it's an F-5. The F-20 was a single engine. One...big...single...engine. And nobody bought it.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #3430
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Nope, it's an F-5. The F-20 was a single engine. One...big...single...engine. And nobody bought it.
And that was a DAMN shame. That plane was gorgeous!

F-20

F-5

More F20

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #3431
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,187
YAHOO

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605

slideways screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 02:45 PM
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #3432
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,077
F20/F5. Let the record show I stand corrected.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #3433
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,429
Shadow10 - pm'd ya
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #3434
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,556
[
[/QUOTE]

great pic of a gorgeous aircraft

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #3435
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,022
http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...d-Victory.aspx

A lot of rare images and commentary on the production line work from world war 2
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: