User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 183 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #3526
ColininKodiak
(not in Kodiak)

Oddometer: 713
We have seven of these in our C130 Hangar. They are awesome. On 90+ degree days with all of them on 7 or higher I only sweat through three t-shirts a day instead of six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-D View Post
And I don't know how many guys here own hangars, but they just installed this in one of ours...a ceiling fan with a 24 foot diameter. The company is Big Ass Fans. Maybe this belongs in the thread of awesome...

Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #3527
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
I wonder why the great piston era fighters hold so much more of an attraction than the jet fighters.
I flew with a guy on my last trip who related a conversation he had with a German Ace. He said that the old man told him that WWII was the only time in the history of aviation when man and machine were evenly matched.

I had not considered it in those terms before.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #3528
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColininKodiak View Post
We have seven of these in our C130 Hangar. They are awesome. On 90+ degree days with all of them on 7 or higher I only sweat through three t-shirts a day instead of six.
I am currently packing 4 for my hanger days, one to wear on the way home, 1 to wear, and 2 to hang in front of a fan to dry......
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #3529
squeak003
Irish R&B Singer

Oddometer: 74
here are a few pics from yesterday and today.

here they are pulling up on my ramp. they parked themselves because i couldn't keep up they were coming so fast.

and the end result

the ones that wouldn't fit in those 2 hangars went in our 4th hangar

1972 Honda CB450K5 with CL bars and a lot of dirt from the barn.
squeak003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #3530
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Wish that A-36 would have flown. Funny how it was grounded by the same problem they had with them during the war.

Great formation work from the guys flying the P-47s.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #3531
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick View Post
Wish that A-36 would have flown. Funny how it was grounded by the same problem they had with them during the war.

What was that?
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #3532
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

One of the dive brakes wouldn't stay locked down.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #3533
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #3534
airgord
What am I doing out here!

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
I wonder why the great piston era fighters hold so much more of an attraction than the jet fighters. Arguably from the 50's until the 70's the design and performance of those jets is more interesting than the piston planes, When you look into the aerodynamics and performance considerations of the jets they are really quite remarkable. I suppose the argument could be: 1. Piston fighters were more numerable. 2. They are easier to understand. 3. They fought, close in, with guns and cannons vs point and shoot from distances outside of visual range. 4 The social power of the allied victory using these planes vs the mixed record for fighters since then. 5. The idea that a private pilot could, conceivably, transition to a WWII piston fighter. 7. Jet fighter operating cost are in the .0001 percent club while the WWII planes are merely in the .001 bracket. 8. Better names. (excepting the F101 Voodoo) 9. They are tail wheeled aircraft. 10. They sound better.
10 is the answer for me! I was told by a guy who maintained 2 P-51's, "anyone can pass gas and light it, jets are for kids!!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #3535
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgord View Post
10 is the answer for me! I was told by a guy who maintained 2 P-51's, "anyone can pass gas and light it, jets are for kids!!
I think its that they are more organic. Its one of the reasons I am more drawn to radial engines over the v motors.
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #3536
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,026
Quote:
Or, for a little progress report, a twin engine Boeing 737-700 with 150 seats will burn about 4900 Lbs per hour at 39,000 ft and be going about 450 knots. The Hawker Hunter, a single engine aircraft, with one seat, would be around 3000 lbs per hour at 40,000 ft, going about 80-100 knots faster. So things have improved somewhat.
A C-5 cruising at .77 mach will consume around 20-25,000 lbs an hour, so a Hunter sounds like an absolute bargain.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #3537
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,062
What a pig! 25,000 lb .77. (I'm sure you hear it all the time, so no offense?) What sports can you play on the main deck while in cruise? Ultimate Frisbee? Soccer? Bicycle racing?

Its not like its top secret anymore but how short a field (balanced field) can you fly out of, say ISA conditions, sea level, and have fuel for a 1000 mile trip with a light cargo load, say 20,000 lbs? And what about landing distance?

There aren't anymore A's left are there? All B's, right? Doesn't the B top out at around 900,000 lbs? They made (or converted) them a little heavier & slightly longer, right? Did that hurt field performance? Did the engines get uprated. I forget, are they JT's or GE CF's?. I do like the dual throttle set up - no germs from the other guy.

How's it climb loaded? Been on several max wt 747-100 & 200's...leisurely is the term, until you get it cleaned up and accelerating its really kind of alarming.

Sorry for all the snotty nosed kid at the air show type questions...
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #3538
jhansen
Harley Rider

Oddometer: 251

All three aircraft are parked in front of H.E.A.R.T. on the north side of Huntsville, TX
AMA Life Member
jhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #3539
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,026
Quote:
What a pig! 25,000 lb .77. (I'm sure you hear it all the time, so no offense?) What sports can you play on the main deck while in cruise? Ultimate Frisbee? Soccer? Bicycle racing?

Its not like its top secret anymore but how short a field (balanced field) can you fly out of, say ISA conditions, sea level, and have fuel for a 1000 mile trip with a light cargo load, say 20,000 lbs? And what about landing distance?

There aren't anymore A's left are there? All B's, right? Doesn't the B top out at around 900,000 lbs? They made (or converted) them a little heavier & slightly longer, right? Did that hurt field performance? Did the engines get uprated. I forget, are they JT's or GE CF's?. I do like the dual throttle set up - no germs from the other guy.

How's it climb loaded? Been on several max wt 747-100 & 200's...leisurely is the term, until you get it cleaned up and accelerating its really kind of alarming.

Sorry for all the snotty nosed kid at the air show type questions...
Main cargo deck, including loading ramps, is about 145 feet long. That is equivlant to an eight-laned bowling alley.

Minumum runway length is 5000 feet.

Max rated gross take-off weight in 840,000 lbs, the plane has been tested up to 960,000 lbs.

There are still A models in service along with the B models. They are basically identical in all aspects with the exception of the seats, galleys and fire suppression system for the cargo compartment.

The engines are GE TF-39's on the standard legacy C-5, which move about 42 tons of air a minute. The re-engined "Super Galaxy" uses the CF6-80C2 engine which is rated at about 50,000 lbs of thrust and is a military version of the CF-6, which is used on alot of civilian airliners.

With the new engines, the Super Galaxy is able to climb much faster with a payload, and in fact holds 43 world records in airlift. The C-5M Super Galaxy has a 58 percent greater climb rate to an initial cruise altitude that is 38 percent higher than the current C-5.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #3540
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,062
Thank you for the information, Sir. Interesting that the C5 has been around now a long time and will be, probably, around quite a bit longer whereas we see that formerly frontline early variant F16 sitting crazing and fading as a static display aircraft. The US can park/retire aircraft like that when 95% of the world's air forces have no aircraft that are as capable - I am not sure if that's a good or bad thing, just an observation. And while I doubt it I wonder if there any C5's out there on display like that?
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: