User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 404 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #3571
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,624
The airport in LaPaz is at 13,000 ft. I have been there a couple of times in a C-130 in '68. We were required to carry a couple of spare tires and lifting bags if we landed there, as touchdown speed, max gear down speed and stall speed are all about the same at that altitude.

We saw C-47's circling the city, climbing to get up to the airstrip, which is on a high plateau above the city.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #3572
BeeDub
Havagoowan

Oddometer: 2,022
Let's talk attainable goals...any fans of Velocity? Sorry if this is 205, but I'm at least 100 pages from catching up after not reading this thread for a couple years.

BeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #3573
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post

My co-worker told me on Thursday that the airplane would be flying into Essex County, NJ airport for the weekend. I took my father for a ride to the airport, didn't have money enough to send him up in the air, though. When we got there, the airplane was out flying people around. A few minutes later, we caught sight of her making her final approach. What a sight, truly breathtaking. Then one of the old timers who also paused to watch the landing, added, "You think that's something, just imagine a thousand of them." I took it that he had. Cheers to the EAA for keeping her in the air.
My dad and I flew in Aluminum Overcast in 2003. It was amazing and well worth the $350 it cost at the time.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #3574
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
Had these fine lady's visiting Austin recently

Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #3575
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,451
Thanks for that information. I see that the majority of the meat hauling Bolivian B17's were "destroyed". They weren't shot down so the Andes must have done them in, or over weight takeoffs, or some other misadventure. Bombs to food - talk about "repurposing". The photo's I saw of this adventure were very visceral and raw, just wild and out there.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #3576
Daniii
geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Thanks for that information. I see that the majority of the meat hauling Bolivian B17's were "destroyed". They weren't shot down so the Andes must have done them in, or over weight takeoffs, or some other misadventure. Bombs to food - talk about "repurposing". The photo's I saw of this adventure were very visceral and raw, just wild and out there.
If you were overloaded and trying to land at La Paz, I can imagine a whole host of things that would result in "destroyed". If you couldn't make it up the altitude of the airfield, I suspect there were no 'alternates'.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #3577
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

The meat was loaded on the eastern side of the Andes down in the flat lands and low elevation of the Amazon region. "All they had to do" was to get across the Andes - no easy feat - and then maybe they thought it was free sailing down to La Paz. They also used C46's and I think they used B25's, too. Taking off at 13,000 feet is one time I might prefer a turbo or supercharged aircraft like a B17 than a fighting for breath straight turbine or turbo-prop. Can you imagine the off-loading you'd have to do to takeoff, legally, from La Paz?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #3578
Daniii
geezer

Quote:
The meat was loaded on the eastern side of the Andes down in the flat lands and low elevation of the Amazon region. "All they had to do" was to get across the Andes - no easy feat - and then maybe they thought it was free sailing down to La Paz. They also used C46's and I think they used B25's, too. Taking off at 13,000 feet is one time I might prefer a turbo or supercharged aircraft like a B17 than a fighting for breath straight turbine or turbo-prop. Can you imagine the off-loading you'd have to do to takeoff, legally, from La Paz?
Worse, when on the tarmack at La Paz, the pilot casually asked me to hop up to the flight deck to get his notebook. I said "sure". hopped up there, and promptly passed out. Woke up to the rest of the crew laughing. Seem it was a standard rite for a La Paz noob (like me).

Saw a Cessna 172 with a 4 bladed prop on the ramp.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #3579
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
Whats that bike in the background
Looks like an '88 or '89 BMW R100GS.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #3580
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Those La Paz 172's use their version of ethanol; 75% Avgas, 25% distillate coca. Works wonders.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #3581
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Those La Paz 172's use their version of ethanol; 75% Avgas, 25% distillate coca. Works wonders.
That's what they put in the pilot -- what do they put in the plane?
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #3582
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDub View Post
Let's talk attainable goals...any fans of Velocity? Sorry if this is 205, but I'm at least 100 pages from catching up after not reading this thread for a couple years.

This one's been hanging around 3CK this summer. Love the lines of this plane.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #3583
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

While I'm posting -- here's a few more - taken last summer at Dacy Airport, Harvard, IL

Her dad owns the place... She's a captain for American.

Couple of friend's own this one, shown here on final.

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #3584
ChopHawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I just flew on Aluminum Overcast when it was up here in Oxford Ct this past wednesday.. it was pretty neat. 435.00 smackers, but to fly iin a B-17 with all their history was worth it to me. also cool to listen to some of the stories the old timers had of flying these things in the war. wish i could figure out how to post a video, got a couple of good ones while flying. engines sound great on take off.
ChopHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #3585
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 644
LOL Soooo Embarassed!

So like many of you - armchair military aviation historians - I sit here sooooo embarassed! Don't we all know when the Battle of Britain was?

Yeah, me too. Must have been a "brain fart" when first titled "50th Anniversary of Battle of Britain"
Funny no one here cought it

Recut it: http://youtu.be/jgnE37sRE3s
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: