Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 257 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #3616
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
More Photos from the Airshow

Here are a few more photos from the Airshow I attended Saturday. I didn't really shoot too much of the static displays as I wanted to get a place as close to the flight line as possible.

I shot the airshow with two cameras and (mostly) two lenses. My Pentax K-x was coupled to my Tair 3 300mm F4.5 lens in the photosniper mount and my K20D was coupled to my Takumar 200mm F3.5 Preset lens.

I shot nearly 1,000 photos Saturday. Many are keepers, but I'll only post a couple dozen here (otherwise the thread would get out of had too quickly ).

You can visit my Flickr page for the full size images.

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-6 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-7 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-8 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-9 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-10 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-11 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-12 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-13 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-14 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-15 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-16 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-17 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-18 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-19 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-20 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-21 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-22 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-23 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Airshow-25-Aug-2012-24 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #3617
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,658
Too freaking cool!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #3618
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,436
Very nice camera work!

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:13 AM   #3619
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Very nice camera work!
Seconded!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #3620
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,763
Wow, those images are just stunning!

More?

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #3621
gary15068
n00b

Oddometer: 9
My father flew B-26's & B-25's in the 319th BG in Italy in WWII. After he came back to the states he got about 100hrs in the A-26. He flew one back to Pittsburgh once to get it away from the coast because a hurricane was coming. He flew it around the Catherdral of Learning on the University of Pgh campus (36 stories) 3 times below the top floor! Then flew it out to Greater Pitt airport to wait out the storm. When he went back out to the airport there was a bunch of Navy pilots hanging around doing the same thing. They wanted him to show them what the A-26 could do so he asked the tower for permission to buzz the tower. They denied permission but said they'd "check" his gear after take-off if he wanted. He took off, got some altitude, but it into a dive, advanced the props & throttle & knive-edged the tower at about 400mph! He said the navy guys were on the tarmac with their mouths hanging open. Oh to be 21 years old & have a government plane at your disposal.
gary15068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #3622
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
dont know where you work, but we do the same thing. But we are a pretty shallow pocket, all volunteer, non profit. Anything we can do to keep the doors open, the memory alive, and sell the idea that these warbirds need to be protected, restored, and flow works for me. When I have guests at our museum I sell them on that idea. Not "give us money" but "be part of us and contribute how you can to keep these aircraft preserved for the future generations"

to be honest, its usually an easy sell. Heck our airshows are $20 and for every $20 we bring in, we spend about $16 to put the show on!
Last night on the news. The Quad Cities airshow people were talking about the city going from $9,000 to $25,000 for rent on the small municipal airfield where the air show is held. That kind of jump has to hit someones wallet. What do the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels charge to show up?

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #3623
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
Last night on the news. The Quad Cities airshow people were talking about the city going from $9,000 to $25,000 for rent on the small municipal airfield where the air show is held. That kind of jump has to hit someones wallet. What do the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels charge to show up?
I dont know, because I am not on that end of the game. I know some of our jet fighters, like the f104 starfighter charge like $4k to show, plus all fuel in the airdrome plus 1 hour of fuel out and in. Might be another 1k in fuel during the show and then another 1 k in and out? Its damn expensive to do these things. BUT airplanes MUST be seen in the air or they just cant be appreciated!
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #3624
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,547
Quote:
We don't have the military at the small shows I'm involved with, but we provide fuel for the aerobatic acts and warbirds. That alone is about $15K.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #3625
edsidders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25

My old Stearman , Heard it still shows up on the airshow ckt.

Brother's current project.......

m
edsidders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #3626
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,340
Yo don't pay the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels...but you do have to provide a couple dozen hotel rooms, meals, rental cars, and round trip transportation for the ground crew guys if they are arriving via commercial flights.Plus fuel...a shitload of fuel. I'll ask tomorrow and edit to let you know what they used. It's probably over 15,000 gallons.

What you do is get a hotel to sponsor your show, so all the performers have a place to stay. In exchange, you mention them over the PA, give them space on your flyer, and free tickets or even a small VIP tent near show center. Ditto for the car rental...which you pretty much provide for all performers. We're a small show, but usually need 30 or more cars and vans. The teams are very specific about what type of vehicles they want/need.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #3627
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Guess who just got offered his first job as an aircraft mechanic today?

Its part time A&P assistant, but its my start in the right direction!

Small business with 2 waco biplanes, a heli and such that do rides/tours. He is looking to start getting maintenance contracts for other aircraft to grow his business! Start next thursday......currently celebrating with a 6 pack of newcastle!!!!
Quote:
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #3628
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
Guess who just got offered his first job as an aircraft mechanic today?

Its part time A&P assistant, but its my start in the right direction!

Small business with 2 waco biplanes, a heli and such that do rides/tours. He is looking to start getting maintenance contracts for other aircraft to grow his business! Start next thursday......currently celebrating with a 6 pack of newcastle!!!!
Congratulations.

Your hard work and a plan coming together. Awesome!!!

Only the start of bigger things to come.

Big props to you, and go ahead and pat yourself on the back.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #3629
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
Congratulations.

Your hard work and a plan coming together. Awesome!!!

Only the start of bigger things to come.

Big props to you, and go ahead and pat yourself on the back.
I am 39 years old. Worked on my first airplane at 38 and am now on my path to a completely new life career (previously social worker/teacher). And let me tell you, it feels great!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #3630
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
You can do a small two-day show for $125-150,000 if everything goes well, with lots of volunteers and some help from your local TV and radio stations. At least that's where we end up. Bring the Blue Angels, and you're probably more towards the $200,000, and again...that's for a small show.

Basically, what you do is beg for money, beg for free advertising, beg for free rental cars, beg for hotel rooms (or a discounted rate), and pretty much beg for everything from event tents to porta-potties. Those in-kind sponsorships are what keept the budget in check and make it possible. Then you find civic organizations to handle ancillary tasks like parking, trash, etc, and you make a small donation to them in exchange.

Performers range from $5-10,000 for a single ship weekend gig, to $25,000+ for a team. And again, you provide fuel, meals, cars, and lodging in addition to that. Prices have jumped over the last couple years, particularly for the single-ship acts, but I can't really say why.

We are always envious of shows that can get $20 at the gate. Our community just wont support that, so we have to base the show on admission prices of about 1/2 that, and a gate of maybe 10,000 paid admissions over two days. You also get money from paid displays and vendors to add to your bottom line.

In the end, there's a lot of give and take between the show, the performers, the vendors, and everyone involved, and there's is a lot of negotiation.

edit...I just checked out the Quad_Cities Airshow site, and it looks very similar to the type and size of show we do here, and even acts that we've had through the years.

Flying-D screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 04:00 PM
Flying-D is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: