Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #3871
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100 View Post
Flying high and fast was also obsoleted (is that a word?) with the advent of long range stand off weapons (think cruise missiles) The B52 became the choice simply as a delivery vehicle capable of carrying a much wider variety of weapons to within range of the targets. Also while I'm on a roll, the B1 was (is) very limited in that it could not carry external weapons and also go supersonic. The B1 was hardly used in strategic mission planning due to it's limited numbers and also it's limited versatility. So... the B52 remains the main stay in the air breathing portion of the triad. The B2 is the new B52 in that it is able to penetrate deeper without relying on speed, although it cannot carry external weapons without greatly increasing it's radar cross section.
It's all just a big bunch of trade offs, In a nut shell, in a strategic conflict the B52 is the one, in a theater conflict, the B2 is the one.

Hold on now, the B1 was certainly a strategic bomber at first...it was only configured to carry nuclear weapons. Nuclear generally means strategic.

Now that it is configured for conventional weapons, it's the real muscle in the inventory. The B-1 carries a heavier bomb load than the B-52, and it's vastly more versatile.

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #3872
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Hold on now, the B1 was certainly a strategic bomber at first...it was only configured to carry nuclear weapons. Nuclear generally means strategic.

Now that it is configured for conventional weapons, it's the real muscle in the inventory. The B-1 carries a heavier bomb load than the B-52, and it's vastly more versatile.

I agree, the B1 was strategic bomber at first, very much so, but it was very limited in what it could carry compared to the B52. It's just that when I was involved in strategic mission planning, (up to late 1990's) all I did was strategic planning so that's all I can speak from experience about. We used the B1 only for certain "dash" (as in fast strike) mission/scenarios.
I didnt(dont) know much about conventional stuff, and I agree, It appears since I was involved the B1 is now a force to be reckoned with for sure. (I also feel it's one of the most beautiful airplanes ever built)
BillsR100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #3873
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post

Just a little to the left, please...

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #3874
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,751
I just looked at google maps, The Air Force Museum is 859 miles from my town here in Oklahoma. I absolutely must make it there some time. wow.
Thanks for posting these photos.
BillsR100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #3875
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,107
Quote:
I just looked at google maps, The Air Force Museum is 859 miles from my town here in Oklahoma. I absolutely must make it there some time. wow.
I'm only 697 miles. That is so do-able.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #3876
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I'm only 697 miles. That is so do-able.
334 I win!!

Whoever goes be sure to visit Speigler Performance..... really cool guys
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #3877
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,093
Every bit of it is excellent, even the non-hardware parts. You can spend hours or more in the very first area - which includes the Wright Brothers home made wind tunnel and all sorts of WWI era flight suits, patches and squadron insignia. It isn't just Army Air Corps/USAF inventory either - as an example I doubt you'll ever see a ME/BF 109 and a ME262 in the same place either. I haven't seen a C5 there though, but its been a few years since I've been so maybe there's one now...perhaps they other USAF have aircraft inside it.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #3878
Flying-D
Just Passing Through

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
That's two easy days each way...do it! Then it's only another easy day to Hammondsport NY, and the Curtiss Museum!

Flying-D screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 05:40 AM
Flying-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #3879
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
you owe it to yourself

Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #3880
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
334 I win!!
253 miles.....
Old 11-28-2012, 04:27 AM   #3881
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,405
187 miles for moi..... I win------so far........I try to go every year.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 AM   #3882
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,456
Now yer gonna make me resurrect the old PC in the back room, and pull up my pics from Dayton.

Did they still have the F-4 cockpit you can sit in? I couldn't get my son out of it.

Last I was there, they had a larger cargo/transport type plane they had just received. It was sitting outside, and they just had begun to tear into it for restoration. Can't remember the designation. Any sightings while you were there? I didn't get much of a chance to examine the A/C that were parked outside.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #3883
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,873
I didn't notice an open F-4 cockpit. 'would certainly have sat had I seen the opportunity.

I was there in early Spring, some snow still on the ground, and not much to see outdoors.
They were moving things around in the Cold War exhibit, which is why the F-82 & F-86 were outside at the time.

That was two years ago, IIRC.
I'm under the impression they stay busy improving the exhibits and much has probably changed in the interim.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #3884
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,456
The cockpit was more or less the nose section of a phantom, with stairs and a deck leading up to it. It was up against a wall in the area of similar era planes.

The hangar hasn't changed much, but I certainly agree that they like to keep the main exhibit active and changing.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #3885
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 743
Looks amazing.

Munich has a 262 and 109 as well... and a whole lot of other cool stuff, nothing like that though... Plus a WW1 U-boat in the basement.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: