ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 253 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #3961
pplassm
Brace for collision!
 
pplassm's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Central VA
Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVLED View Post
Have to agree...gonna see the mossy in the flesh early next year. Can't wait!
Is there a site that has dates and locations to see the Mosquito fly?

Thanks.
__________________
Pete
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #3962
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider
 
Old fart's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: South By Southwest near the dotted line
Oddometer: 649
On how many levels is this just wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #3963
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
On how many levels is this just wrong?
Quite a few, but the wow factor trumps it all!
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #3964
EVLED
Studly Adventurer
 
EVLED's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Is there a site that has dates and locations to see the Mosquito fly?

Thanks.
She's still in NZ so you may have a ways to come: http://www.wings.org.nz/

These are the guys that did the restoration job: http://www.warbirdrestoration.co.nz/
EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #3965
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,152
With the exception A6/F111 sorts of nap of the earth flying I've never understood the allure of ultra low level fixed flying, although AG pilots would be probably the most proficient at it. A friend of mine while flying a Cherokee in the Mojave flew in ground effect trying to beat a major part of the of a strong head wind. It worked until until a meandering tumbleweed lodged onto the leading edge. He couldn't shake it off and hurriedly removed it after landing so's not to obviously incriminate himself.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #3966
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
With the exception A6/F111 sorts of nap of the earth flying I've never understood the allure of ultra low level fixed flying, although AG pilots would be probably the most proficient at it. A friend of mine while flying a Cherokee in the Mojave flew in ground effect trying to beat a major part of the of a strong head wind. It worked until until a meandering tumbleweed lodged onto the leading edge. He couldn't shake it off and hurriedly removed it after landing so's not to obviously incriminate himself.
I think some like it because the sensation of speed is far greater when you have a close fixed reference point.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #3967
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,152
Isn't that why motorcycles were created?
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #3968
Heyload
Remastered Classic
 
Heyload's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
With the exception A6/F111 sorts of nap of the earth flying I've never understood the allure of ultra low level fixed flying, although AG pilots would be probably the most proficient at it. A friend of mine while flying a Cherokee in the Mojave flew in ground effect trying to beat a major part of the of a strong head wind. It worked until until a meandering tumbleweed lodged onto the leading edge. He couldn't shake it off and hurriedly removed it after landing so's not to obviously incriminate himself.

We had a C-141 come home once from a low-level with some small branches embedded in the wing tip.

Many questions by high-ranking individuals followed...
__________________
"Would you care for some left-over bacon?"...said no man, ever.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #3969
DakarNick
Swabee
 
DakarNick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Parker, Colorado
Oddometer: 6,506
Wifey and I went on a cruise. One of the stops was SXM, Princess Juliana Airport in St. Martin. We stayed at Maho Beach for hours and have hundreds of pics and dozens of videos. Coming up later!

Teaser

__________________
'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'12 Ram 2500, Cummins, 6-speed auto, Laramie Longhorn, RamBox
Must be part of your super-secret double-naught spy work with your low-level FEMA clearance and (snicker) Texas Security License, yes?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #3970
DakarNick
Swabee
 
DakarNick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Parker, Colorado
Oddometer: 6,506
Pay no attention to my stupid grin

Frontier Airbus 320 in FLL


This is an internet photo of the plane
__________________
'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'12 Ram 2500, Cummins, 6-speed auto, Laramie Longhorn, RamBox
Must be part of your super-secret double-naught spy work with your low-level FEMA clearance and (snicker) Texas Security License, yes?

DakarNick screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 01:31 PM
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #3971
Beamer Pilot
Obviously a major malf...
 
Beamer Pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: North West of Calgary
Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I think some like it because the sensation of speed is far greater when you have a close fixed reference point.
There was no sensation of speed for this ex Ag pilot, just absorbed in judging at 130 knots the point between the barb wire fence and the power line above it without looking at either while using the telephone pole as a marker for height reference to the wire while keeping the left hand on the power lever and the thumb on the "chicken stick" while starting to spray the product on the potato field located between a row of trees with a barn at the end of the run keeping in mind that if you overrun the field you will be sued by the adjoining farmer who hates his neighbor while keeping an eye on the remainder of the smoke trail indicating the wind drift that you sprayed on the first pass.
Oh shit the flag bar for the AGNAV GPS system located on the cowling just outside the windscreen shows me off by two light...gotta correct now...or the customer farmer will want a discount for waisting product...How is my fuel load??? enough for one reload. Quick look at the laptop next to the stick yeah..it's the right field. Wonder if he is going to give me a cheque right after this or if he is going to mail it...Bastard, he never told me about the wire going to the waterer in the field..next time I'll walk the damn field...Missed it by one inch or did I...Cut the spray off end of field..Pull up pull up HARDER..F%^&*N trees..
Of course you are also thinking that the aircraft payment is coming due soon, your daugther got bullied at school and the wife saying every night "yo gonna kill yourself one day ...just go fly for the airlines...!!!"
Just keep in mind all this with your wheels 2 feet from the crop...

I think you get my drift...no pun intended...
Went to the airlines...
__________________
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2.
Beamer Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #3972
Heyload
Remastered Classic
 
Heyload's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Pilot View Post
There was no sensation of speed for this ex Ag pilot, just absorbed in judging at 130 knots the point between the barb wire fence and the power line above it without looking at either while using the telephone pole as a marker for height reference to the wire while keeping the left hand on the power lever and the thumb on the "chicken stick" while starting to spray the product on the potato field located between a row of trees with a barn at the end of the run keeping in mind that if you overrun the field you will be sued by the adjoining farmer who hates his neighbor while keeping an eye on the remainder of the smoke trail indicating the wind drift that you sprayed on the first pass.
Oh shit the flag bar for the AGNAV GPS system located on the cowling just outside the windscreen shows me off by two light...gotta correct now...or the customer farmer will want a discount for waisting product...How is my fuel load??? enough for one reload. Quick look at the laptop next to the stick yeah..it's the right field. Wonder if he is going to give me a cheque right after this or if he is going to mail it...Bastard, he never told me about the wire going to the waterer in the field..next time I'll walk the damn field...Missed it by one inch or did I...Cut the spray off end of field..Pull up pull up HARDER..F%^&*N trees..
Of course you are also thinking that the aircraft payment is coming due soon, your daugther got bullied at school and the wife saying every night "yo gonna kill yourself one day ...just go fly for the airlines...!!!"
Just keep in mind all this with your wheels 2 feet from the crop...

I think you get my drift...no pun intended...
Went to the airlines...
That's a good summary.

One of the pilots here used to do some crop-dusting.

He said flying combat missions in Vietnam was far less stressful...
__________________
"Would you care for some left-over bacon?"...said no man, ever.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #3973
Beamer Pilot
Obviously a major malf...
 
Beamer Pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: North West of Calgary
Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
That's a good summary.

One of the pilots here used to do some crop-dusting.

He said flying combat missions in Vietnam was far less stressful...
Well I don't know got drafted by the French Gov. for a few years...(one of their citizens to this day) Tchad was no fun...!!!
__________________
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2.
Beamer Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #3974
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottcolbath's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The north edge of 85050
Oddometer: 6,582
Today I hooked up with a smart person in town, and a fellow airport commissioner. We took his Cessna 172 up to get some air shots of the newly surfaced runway at our airport.





The road directly at the bottom of the pics is U.S. 60, AKA the California Highway. It was how you got to Los Angeles back in the old days. At the top of the pics, you can see another highway crossing the pic. That is highway 93, which takes you to Vegas in about 230 miles.

To the right of the runway are hangars for local aircraft. To the left are a few businesses; one being Bearcat Mfg. (http://www.bearcatmfg.com/). When you see a road being paved, it's likely that oil tanker trucks which spray the oil down before the tar goes down were made by Bearcat. I have a few friends who work there, including one dude who can weld beer cans together. He's pretty good at welding.

It was fucking cold up there, and I was shooting with the window open some of the time. Goddamm, I hate the cold!

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #3975
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottcolbath's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The north edge of 85050
Oddometer: 6,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
On how many levels is this just wrong?
I'd have no problem being that close, as long as the pilot showed consistency in his maneuvers. After that, you factor in some risk and decide if it is a smart thing to do.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014