Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 183 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #4606
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
A year or two ago I was thinking about going back to Indonesia again to fly for a Lion Air company but I was discouraged of from a pilot at the company who was quitting.

One thing about Indonesian aviation is that finding out what really happened isn't always so easy or so clear. I am not piling on Indonesia, its a fantastic place, also a very beautiful place to fly - even if it is perhaps rather wild west in the skies. I wasn't there that long but in that time some rather alarming accidents and incidents occurred. They also seem to have more than their fair share of what seem to be inexplicable or totally unique, things that would almost be funny, except for the injuries and fatalities, or hull losses. If it isn't too much of a thread drift let me know if anyone wants some stories...
Gimme a minute... popping some pop corn...
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #4607
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmerlin View Post
Found this on another site so i thought i would bring over to yous guys

This is really cool old school aviation on the cutting edge

http://www.roadrunnersinternationale..._the_a-12.html
I'm an associate member of the Roadrunners - thanks for sharing the link!

T.D. Barnes is the President and has another site you'd probably like as well - http://area51specialprojects.com

I love the A-12 and the U-2, but I thought it was pretty cool seeing all the info about the MiGs that were exploited there during the cold war, too

http://area51specialprojects.com/migs.html

http://area51specialprojects.com/migs_area51.html
Old 04-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #4608
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,062
Indo tales:

Ex-pat captain is a real jackass (and a alcoholic). I found him a real piece of work and a terrible pilot too. Indo FO's can't stand him, and I agree, and tell them so! Some of the FO's are moonlighting from their military aviation units for the extra money. Not hard to do when 70% of the military planes aren't flyable, usually waiting for parts. Things got worse with this captain and the Indo FO's tell me they've put a hit on that ex-pat captain. You should have seen the ex-pats face when he found out, a whiter shade of pale I've never seen. He and I knew you don't screw around with the Indo military - at all. He vowed to clean up his terrible demeanor, which he did, for awhile, until he ran a plane into a ditch off the taxi way (hungover). I wonder what happened to him.

737 disappears into the sea at night, probably 6000 ft deep. Had many write ups for the IRU's (inertial reference units). Government and airline declines US Navy offer to dig it up and pull the recorders. Wonder why?

737 crashes after takeoff, 14,000 lbs over gross. Durien fruit season was on - a near religious fruit in the country. Pay off between freight forwarder and cargo loaders. Governor of the state was aboard.

737 touches down on a wet 6800 ft runway at 240 knots, well over 100 knots fast. Off it goes into the jungle, killing 29. FO suggested they go around but the captain said he didn't want to lose his fuel saving bonus. 5 of the dead are family members of the diplomatic core of a western country. Indo govt. approaches surviving families and says don't tell what you know or else you may go to jail for two years.

Indo captain was found guilty of murder. On a flight to Europe he went back into the cabin and poisoned a passengers drink - the passenger was a noted Indo human rights advocate.

Don't get me wrong, I love Indonesia...

Anyone care for more?
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #4609
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Coda: Back when a certain Indonesian airline was allowed to fly to Europe.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #4610
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 623
nice DC-6B

not too shabby

SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #4611
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

That six is stunning. It has just the right amount of avionics updating to be useful-modern and yet stay in steam gauge land. Where is it? Someone flies it, right? I bet whomever flies it doesn't polish it.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #4612
Shadow10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Indo tales:

Ex-pat captain is a real jackass (and a alcoholic). I found him a real piece of work and a terrible pilot too. Indo FO's can't stand him, and I agree, and tell them so! Some of the FO's are moonlighting from their military aviation units for the extra money. Not hard to do when 70% of the military planes aren't flyable, usually waiting for parts. Things got worse with this captain and the Indo FO's tell me they've put a hit on that ex-pat captain. You should have seen the ex-pats face when he found out, a whiter shade of pale I've never seen. He and I knew you don't screw around with the Indo military - at all. He vowed to clean up his terrible demeanor, which he did, for awhile, until he ran a plane into a ditch off the taxi way (hungover). I wonder what happened to him.

737 disappears into the sea at night, probably 6000 ft deep. Had many write ups for the IRU's (inertial reference units). Government and airline declines US Navy offer to dig it up and pull the recorders. Wonder why?

737 crashes after takeoff, 14,000 lbs over gross. Durien fruit season was on - a near religious fruit in the country. Pay off between freight forwarder and cargo loaders. Governor of the state was aboard.

737 touches down on a wet 6800 ft runway at 240 knots, well over 100 knots fast. Off it goes into the jungle, killing 29. FO suggested they go around but the captain said he didn't want to lose his fuel saving bonus. 5 of the dead are family members of the diplomatic core of a western country. Indo govt. approaches surviving families and says don't tell what you know or else you may go to jail for two years.

Indo captain was found guilty of murder. On a flight to Europe he went back into the cabin and poisoned a passengers drink - the passenger was a noted Indo human rights advocate.

Don't get me wrong, I love Indonesia...

Anyone care for more?
I'm sitting comfortably with a relaxing beverage.
Shadow10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #4613
pwrtrippin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
[QUOTE=SkunkWizard;21254194]not too shabby]

looking at the hanger. Red Bull.

There is nothing manly about tassels.
pwrtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #4614
SkunkWizard
recycle crime scene tape

Oddometer: 623
Dietrich Mateschitz

SkunkWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #4615
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,637
What is the large (black) handwheel on the left ???

Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #4616
jhansen
Harley Rider

Oddometer: 251
Guessing that it is the nose wheel steering
AMA Life Member
jhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #4617
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Indo part II

Indo stories part II:

Go to the weather office to get the day's weather and forecasts. Most times it's the same weather everyday, hot, puffy clouds, thunderstorms in the afternoon. So when you get the print out its the same one as the previous day or and the one before that, etc. Thus, a little white out on the date and times is applied and you have today's weather forecast.

Write up an airplane with a in-operative radar. Asked to fly it anyway. Refuse to fly it. Taken off flying without pay for 10 days. (That's some of the time I got my riding in).

Company didn't bother with a Kitas (work permit). I was once hustled away to hide in a Army barracks when the DGCA (FAA) came around - the DGCA not having jurisdiction there. Now Kitas are issued but in conjunction with a visa which greatly restricts your ability to come and go out of the country.

Sectional maps weren't that accurate. Some airports were not where they really were. Apparently a security measure in case the Japanese invaded again.

We had to watch out for one controller, he'd give us a down wind vector and "forget" about us, heading towards the mountains. He was reportedly upset that the company didn't hire his daughter.

There's little to mostly no radar outside of the major cities. VHF and even HF reception was spotty or non-existent. Controllers can separate only by altitude and lateral distance, speed is (usually) not going to happen.

Indonesians like to work together. Go to the bank and the teller will start helping you but soon they are joined by their friend who hangs around being sociable with them. This can be the same with controllers. Thunderstorm shows up and the field is closed down. 4 planes in the vicinity, but they are not really told to hold, its just assumed. The pilots pick where they are going to hold and may or may not tell the controller where and what altitude, but will at least broadcast it. Of the four planes 2 have foreign pilots 2 are Indo crews. The controller is losing it, almost panicking juggling 4 planes. Eventually this causes one fo the indo crews to start a panic sound in their voice (that sociable connection thing). Eventually the controller walks off his station trying to handle the four planes. He comes back, opens the field and when one of the foreign pilots attempts the ILS approach as the storm moves away a bit he misses the approach. The controller tells him don't do the missed approach but to follow his instructions. "What are they?" queries the pilot. Controller: "Just go,....just go over there". Pilot decides going there is home to Malaysia.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #4618
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,566
Quote:
Indo stories part II:

Go to the weather office to get the day's weather and forecasts. Most times it's the same weather everyday, hot, puffy clouds, thunderstorms in the afternoon. So when you get the print out its the same one as the previous day or and the one before that, etc. Thus, a little white out on the date and times is applied and you have today's weather forecast.

Write up an airplane with a in-operative radar. Asked to fly it anyway. Refuse to fly it. Taken off flying without pay for 10 days. (That's some of the time I got my riding in).

Company didn't bother with a Kitas (work permit). I was once hustled away to hide in a Army barracks when the DGCA (FAA) came around - the DGCA not having jurisdiction there. Now Kitas are issued but in conjunction with a visa which greatly restricts your ability to come and go out of the country.

Sectional maps weren't that accurate. Some airports were not where they really were. Apparently a security measure in case the Japanese invaded again.

We had to watch out for one controller, he'd give us a down wind vector and "forget" about us, heading towards the mountains. He was reportedly upset that the company didn't hire his daughter.

There's little to mostly no radar outside of the major cities. VHF and even HF reception was spotty or non-existent. Controllers can separate only by altitude and lateral distance, speed is (usually) not going to happen.

Indonesians like to work together. Go to the bank and the teller will start helping you but soon they are joined by their friend who hangs around being sociable with them. This can be the same with controllers. Thunderstorm shows up and the field is closed down. 4 planes in the vicinity, but they are not really told to hold, its just assumed. The pilots pick where they are going to hold and may or may not tell the controller where and what altitude, but will at least broadcast it. Of the four planes 2 have foreign pilots 2 are Indo crews. The controller is losing it, almost panicking juggling 4 planes. Eventually this causes one fo the indo crews to start a panic sound in their voice (that sociable connection thing). Eventually the controller walks off his station trying to handle the four planes. He comes back, opens the field and when one of the foreign pilots attempts the ILS approach as the storm moves away a bit he misses the approach. The controller tells him don't do the missed approach but to follow his instructions. "What are they?" queries the pilot. Controller: "Just go,....just go over there". Pilot decides going there is home to Malaysia.
brb, topping off beverage..
Thanks for sharing these. Very interesting, to see how it's done elsewhere.
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #4619
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,026
Here's a blast from the past. From what I've been told, it was very accurate...until the next landing, when it would have to be recalibrated again.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #4620
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Is that from a 141?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: