Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 254 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #4831
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
Is there any such thing as an affordable, portable aviation GPS?
For cross-countries I use a "real" aviation GPS, but when I'm just putzing around locally I use a free app called Avare on my Android phone. Overlayed sectional, AFD, nearest, magenta line to destination along with ground speed & ETA. You download the sectionals in advance so it doesn't need a cell signal.

I also downloaded a file of POI's for all the airports in my state and all the surrounding states into the Garmin 62 I use on the dirt bike. Waterproof and vibration proof. The POI's also have AFD information embedded so I can get radio/Wx frequencies and runway info. I keep it in the plane's glove box. It's come in handy a few times when I didn't take the Garmin 495 along.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #4832
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotheadJeff View Post

Ahh... The good old days! Wish I could taxi a Hellcat up the Strip
Thanks!
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #4833
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,181
No problemo
Old 06-14-2013, 02:45 AM   #4834
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHJPHOTO View Post
Yeah, yeah, say what you will about the "glory" guys in the P-51's. P-47's Spits etc. The "Bird Dog" driver had the guts! No way of fighting back...'cept his 1911!
And in a 75-100 MPH plane, no way to run away.

Heading over a battlefield in a slow, underpowered tube and fabric plane ranks right up there with cropdusting with one.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #4835
KHJPHOTO
Old Man and the Road

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Thought you might enjoy reading about "Bazooka Charlie" who mounted six recoilless rifles (bazookas) on his L4. He destroyed at least six German tanks.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Carpenter_(Lt._Col.)

NFE
Thanks! Absolutely amazing!!
IBA #27356
BMW Mileage Award 300,000 and adding to it

www.khjphotography.com
KHJPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:53 AM   #4836
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
For cross-countries I use a "real" aviation GPS, but when I'm just putzing around locally I use a free app called Avare on my Android phone. Overlayed sectional, AFD, nearest, magenta line to destination along with ground speed & ETA. You download the sectionals in advance so it doesn't need a cell signal.

I also downloaded a file of POI's for all the airports in my state and all the surrounding states into the Garmin 62 I use on the dirt bike. Waterproof and vibration proof. The POI's also have AFD information embedded so I can get radio/Wx frequencies and runway info. I keep it in the plane's glove box. It's come in handy a few times when I didn't take the Garmin 495 along.

There's a thought...
I have a nuvi 550 I may could do what you did with the 62.
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #4837
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 22,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Thought you might enjoy reading about "Bazooka Charlie" who mounted six recoilless rifles (bazookas) on his L4. He destroyed at least six German tanks.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Carpenter_(Lt._Col.)

NFE
When stationed at Ubon in '70, we had a WolfFAC driver (F4-C spotter) who, frustrated after several misses from his F4 dive bombers, flew down on the deck and put a WP through the windshield of the truck they had missed. He painted a truck on his aircraft.
Daniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #4838
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
In my last Army job, I worked for a guy who flew an L19 in the Dominican Republic action and in his first tour in Vietnam. Aluminum skin in place of fabric.... a bit more horsepower... but all in all, a fixed gear, fixed prop, tandem seat aircraft with little armor.

In addition to WP, he carried an M16 to spray out of the window.

His second tour was in Cobras... a good bit more firepower.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #4839
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,114
Jet crashes into Hangar

I live about a 1/2 mile from a pretty busy little private airport in Chino CA. There are usually about 6 or so executive jets parked there each evening, along with some cool vintage warbirds and restored fighter jets in a large hangar on the East side of the airport, right near the main road I drive on.

We heard a big rukus last night a little after 6 pm, and it appears a jet being run up on 100% power for some maintenance jumped the chocks and crashed through the main hangar complex. Luckily the hangar was mainly empty at that time of night, or somebody would've been killed.

Here's a link to story with some pics:

CHINO - A small passenger jet struck a hangar Thursday evening at Chino Airport, leading to concerns of a fuel leak and evacuations of nearby hangars, according to federal aviation officials.
The plane was on chocks for an engine run-up test when the Bombadier Challenger came off the chocks, traveled about 100 yards and into Encore Jet Center in the 8300 block of Kimball Avenue at the airport, said Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration. No one was injured.
The mechanics were checking the engine, and the plane's tires were on chocks. FAA officials weren't sure why the jet came off the chocks and went into the hangar.
The incident took place after hours, said Chino valley Fire District authorities, so there weren't many employees inside the hangar at the time of the crash. Those who were inside were able to get out of the business quickly. No one inside was injured.
A witness said the sound of the plane hitting the hangar was like a bomb going off.
The crash was reported shortly after 6 p.m.
First responders shut off electricity because of concerns about a fuel leak, however fire officials later said there was no fuel leak. Four adjacent hangars and businesses within those hangars were evacuated.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_23453822/jet-crashes-into-building-chino
Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #4840
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,758
Yesterday was a bad day for small jets. The Pylon Racing School is going on at Stead Airport in Reno. It's a mandatory event for pilots who wish to compete in the National Championship Air Races in September, or for pilots who are planning to race in a different class than they have previously.
A pair of L-39's were on the course and had a mid-air collision, resulting in the loss of a few feet of vertical stabilizer on one of them. Fortunately, there were no injuries, and the pilot of the #777 aircraft put the thing down on the runway sans gear, and slid a reported 2000 feet before coming to a stop.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #4841
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Strom View Post
I live about a 1/2 mile from a pretty busy little private airport in Chino CA. There are usually about 6 or so executive jets parked there each evening, along with some cool vintage warbirds and restored fighter jets in a large hangar on the East side of the airport, right near the main road I drive on.

We heard a big rukus last night a little after 6 pm, and it appears a jet being run up on 100% power for some maintenance jumped the chocks and crashed through the main hangar complex. Luckily the hangar was mainly empty at that time of night, or somebody would've been killed.

Here's a link to story with some pics:

CHINO - A small passenger jet struck a hangar Thursday evening at Chino Airport, leading to concerns of a fuel leak and evacuations of nearby hangars, according to federal aviation officials.
The plane was on chocks for an engine run-up test when the Bombadier Challenger came off the chocks, traveled about 100 yards and into Encore Jet Center in the 8300 block of Kimball Avenue at the airport, said Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration. No one was injured.
The mechanics were checking the engine, and the plane's tires were on chocks. FAA officials weren't sure why the jet came off the chocks and went into the hangar.
The incident took place after hours, said Chino valley Fire District authorities, so there weren't many employees inside the hangar at the time of the crash. Those who were inside were able to get out of the business quickly. No one inside was injured.
A witness said the sound of the plane hitting the hangar was like a bomb going off.
The crash was reported shortly after 6 p.m.
First responders shut off electricity because of concerns about a fuel leak, however fire officials later said there was no fuel leak. Four adjacent hangars and businesses within those hangars were evacuated.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_23453822/jet-crashes-into-building-chino

That's unfortunate!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
Yesterday was a bad day for small jets. The Pylon Racing School is going on at Stead Airport in Reno. It's a mandatory event for pilots who wish to compete in the National Championship Air Races in September, or for pilots who are planning to race in a different class than they have previously.
A pair of L-39's were on the course and had a mid-air collision, resulting in the loss of a few feet of vertical stabilizer on one of them. Fortunately, there were no injuries, and the pilot of the #777 aircraft put the thing down on the runway sans gear, and slid a reported 2000 feet before coming to a stop.

I'm just glad nobody was hurt! Bent metal can be fixed
Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #4842
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Cool2 Beer runs!!!

My friend got this in an email and I stole it from his blog

Quote:
The underbelly of history … lot of stories like this are buried with the men who fulfilled their missions …

In the lighter moments of WWII, the Spitfire was used in an unorthodox role: bringing beer kegs to the men in Normandy. During the war, the Heneger and Constable breweries donated free beer to the troops. After D-Day, supplying the invasion troops in Normandy with vital supplies was already a challenge. Obviously, there was no room in the logistics chain for such luxuries as beer or other types of refreshments. Some men, often called sourcers, were able to get wine or other niceties from the land or rather from the locals. RAF Spitfire pilots came up with an even better idea.
The Spitfire Mk IX was an evolved version of the Spitfire, with pylons under the wings for bombs or tanks. It was discovered that the bomb pylons could also be modified to carry beer kegs. According to pictures that can be found, various sizes of kegs were used. Whether the kegs could bejettisoned in case of emergency is unknown. If the Spitfire flew high enough, the cold air at altitude would even refresh the beer, making it ready for consumption upon arrival.
A variation was a long range fuel tank modified to carry beer instead of fuel. The modification even received the official designation Mod. XXX. Propaganda services were quick to pick up on this, which probably explains the official designation.
As a result, Spitfires equipped with Mod XXX or keg-carrying pylons were often sent back to Great Britain for maintenance or liaison duties. They would then return to Normandy with full beer kegs fitted under the wings.
The Spitfire had very little ground clearance with the larger beer kegs.
Typically, the British Revenue of Ministry and Excise stepped in, notifying the brewery that they were in violation of the law by exporting beer without paying the relevant taxes. It seems that Mod. XXX was terminated then, but various squadrons found different ways to refurbish their stocks, most often done with the unofficial approval of higher echelons.
In his book Dancing in the Skies, Tony Jonsson, the only Icelancer pilot in the RAF, recalled beer runs while he was flying with 65 Squadron. Every week a pilot was sent back to the UK to fill some cleaned-up drop tanks with beer and return to the squadron. Jonsson hated the beer runs as every man on the squadron would be watching you upon arrival. Anyone who made a rough landing and dropped the tanks would be the most hated man on the squadron for an entire week.
Those magnificent men in their flying machines!
Of course, nothing like this would ever happen today
Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #4843
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 649
Mellow yellow

Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #4844
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,075
I dont remember if this has been covered here. But basically FAA is requiring their representatives at air shows (as they have often done), but they are now charging the airshows for their presence. Sometimes to very steep and stupid prices. I dont remember what they are now, but I remember thinking it was 20x what the actual cost of someone coming for a weekend/food/lodging, etc.

Quote:
Today, EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) was forced to accept the FAA’s onerous and unethical imposition of the ATC’s Fees on EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2013. With the late breaking and irreversible notification that was given in mid-May, EAA had no other option but to accept.

"Let me be clear: We have consistently regarded the FAA's move as holding AirVenture and [General Aviation] hostage this year," said EAA Chairman Jack Pelton.

It was obvious to the FAA that EAA would have no choice, understanding that millions of dollars in reservations and planning by the General Aviation (GA) industry is already committed. By knuckling under the EAA, I feel that they have set the precedent (foreshadowed earlier at this year’s SUN ‘n FUN) to charge fees for the personnel and administration required at the hundreds of air shows across the country. Airshows, which have already suffered from the elimination of modern military demonstrations and displays, are key to the GA industry and especially to our warbirds. Putting an additional financial strain on the already risky enterprise of an airshow will lead to even more cancellations.

As last week, in assistance to EAA, we need to be even more vocal with our elected leaders in Congress, so that they put pressure on the White House, which has shown a palpable disdain for General and Business Aviation.

Our issue is not with the FAA officials that we work with at our shows and at the FSDO’s, but with those in the upper regions of government that are using GA and the Airshow industry as leverage in the political sequestration battle. We must stand together as the CAF and with other GA associations and make sure our voice is heard. Each of us calling our congressional representative and US Senators can make a huge difference. I have done it – please join me!

Stephan C. Brown
CAF President/CEO
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:24 AM   #4845
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
I dont remember if this has been covered here. But basically FAA is requiring their representatives at air shows (as they have often done), but they are now charging the airshows for their presence.
I work as airboss at two small shows every year and if the FAA does this to us it'll kill the shows. We do them on a shoestring and just can't afford any extra cash outlay. Maybe we'll be spared since we don't need ATC services. 2 FAA people always show up to keep an eye on safety and ramp check the performers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: